Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iranian President Raisi's helicopter suffers 'hard landing', regime on edge

Kittens Are Jerks

Iranian President Raisi's helicopter suffers 'hard landing', regime on edge

A helicopter in a convoy in which Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi was traveling was involved in a "hard landing" on Sunday afternoon, according to Iranian state media. Details about the incident remained unclear as of Sunday afternoon, although initial reports indicated the accident involved the president's helicopter and foggy weather. According to the Iranian IRNA news agency, the helicopter crashed in a forest area between the villages of PirDavood and Uzi in northwestern Iran.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-801726

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Iranian media publishes footage of rescue teams speeding through forest in search of Raisi’s helicopter

Iran’s semi-official ISNA news agency publishes footage purporting to show rescue crews speeding through a misty, rural forest to reach the site where a helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi is believed to have crashed.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/iranian-media-publishes-footage-of-rescue-teams-speeding-through-forest-in-search-of-raisis-helicopter/

• Like 4

A couple of additional articles on the incident:

Social media goes rampant with rumors of Iranian President’s helicopter going missing

While apologists of the regime expressed hope for Raisi’s well-being, others implied that the regime itself was behind an assassination attempt, and many others expressed joy at the unconfirmed news.

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/iran-news/article-801738

Ex-IDF intel. chief Hayman: It would be hard to find a next Iran president worse than Raisi

Ex-IDF intel chief Farkash: Khamenei, not Raisi, makes policy.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-801736

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No idea if reliable. 

Iran.thumb.jpg.df51ae6f02d3309d71b3cb8cd7b84f80.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

No idea if reliable. 

Even the Iranians, whilst still hopeful, aren't too optimistic, describing the crash as 'serious'.

The following article contains a short video of the rescuers (weather conditions are clearly bad).

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-801726

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

The pictures CNN is showing of the area shows really heavy, thick fog. Visibility is around 5 meters (16 ft). Rescuers can't get to the crash site and it's too foggy to send aircraft to help locate the crash site. It's about 8 pm in Iran now so it's getting dark too.

Live updates: Iranian President Raisi involved in helicopter crash (cnn.com)

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Western diplomatic sources say Iranian President Raisi did not survive his helicopter crash - Israel Channel 12

Three rescuers who went to look for Raisi also went missing.

https://t.me/pilotblog/12235

• Like 4

I know it's wrong,but in this instance...meh

Couldn't have happened to a nicer fella

🙈 🙊🙉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

others implied that the regime itself was behind an assassination attempt

I don't see how the regime, or anyone else, benefits really. The timing is odd but he's a headline supporter of Khamenei. So no incentive for the regime to remove him. And his replacement will be just the same, so no incentive for assassination.

• Like 2

The Iranian president and his entourage were said to be equipped with satellite phones and so far there hasn't been any communication.

I think that whether the crash was pilot error or weather conditions the Iranian's are still going to find a reason to blame Israel.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I know it's wrong,but in this instance...meh

Couldn't have happened to a nicer fella

🙈 🙊🙉

If he is dead, Iran's leaders are probably trying to decide how to spin it and whether or not to accuse Israel.  I doubt they'll have the stones to go that far because if they do, they'll have to respond in a very serious way.  Their little dust-up in April was sold as a win and an embarrassment for Israel but the truth is they saw just how vulnerable they really are.

If that helicopter was shot down they won't be able to hide it forever.  If it was, I suspect the top member of their creepy theocracy may start traveling exclusively by land ;) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I think that whether the crash was pilot error or weather conditions the Iranian's are still going to find a reason to blame Israel.

That was what I was thinking as well.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

The Iranian president and his entourage were said to be equipped with satellite phones and so far there hasn't been any communication.

They will, if they can do it without obligating themselves to strike back.  There seems to be some opinion that this could have been done by internal foes.

Either way, I'll be shedding no tears for a guy known as the "Butcher of Tehran" and who was instrumental in killing US troops and civilians in Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Israel.  Good riddance to a focus of evil in the world.

• Like 6

ranian opposition media report that Iranians are celebrating Raisi's death with fireworks.

The fate of the Iranian President still remains unknown.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps is preparing to suppress possible unrest

https://t.me/pilotblog/12239

Video in link

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, and-then said:

They will, if they can do it without obligating themselves to strike back.  There seems to be some opinion that this could have been done by internal foes.

Either way, I'll be shedding no tears for a guy known as the "Butcher of Tehran" and who was instrumental in killing US troops and civilians in Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Israel.  Good riddance to a focus of evil in the world.

Well I run across one report that said the Iranian's were looking for a person that is described as a Indian National that was seen by the helicopter. But like in every instance of breaking news events it's hard to discern just what is true or what to believe.

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Conflicting reports:

Iran state TV: Search teams locate Raisi’s helicopter, at least 2 survivors found

A helicopter that crashed while it was carrying Iran’s president and foreign minister has been located, Iranian state media reports. State TV also quotes an official as saying that at least one passenger and one crew member had been in contact with rescuers. There is no immediate report on the condition of Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi or Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian.

Iran’s Red Crescent, however, denies the reports that the helicopter has been found.Rescue teams had been struggling to reach the crash site amid difficult terrain and bad weather.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/iran-state-tv-search-teams-locate-raisis-helicopter-at-least-2-survivors-found/

• Like 5

Saudi, Qatar offer Iran assistance in Raisi helicopter search and rescue

Saudi Arabia voices “great concern” after Iranian state media reported that a helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi has gone missing and offers to help with the response. “We affirm that the Kingdom stands by the sisterly Islamic Republic of Iran in these difficult circumstances and its readiness to provide any assistance that the Iranian agencies need,” the foreign ministry of the Gulf kingdom, a longtime rival of Iran, says in a statement.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/saudi-qatar-offer-iran-assistance-in-raisi-helicopter-search-and-rescue/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Or the US.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

No idea if reliable. 

Iran.thumb.jpg.df51ae6f02d3309d71b3cb8cd7b84f80.jpg

They’ll blame Israel if he dies…

• Like 3

CNN is reporting that a signal has been received from the helicopter and one of the mobile phones of a crew member.

Live updates: Iran President Ebrahim Raisi in helicopter crash in East Azerbaijan Province; Hamas voices concern (cnn.com)

Military crews are heading to the exact location of the crash site of the helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi, a military commander in the region said, according to state news agency IRNA.

A signal was received from the helicopter and the mobile phone of one of the crew members at the crash site, according to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander for East Azerbaijan province, where the crash occurred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It just says they got signals but not that anyone was actually using the phone or had contact with any of the crew.

BREAKING: Location of Iranian president's crashed helicopter discovered close to Azerbaijan (msn.com)

The Commander of the IRGC in East Azerbaijan has announced that a signal from the helicopter of President Ebrahim Raisi and a crew member's mobile phone was received at the crash site a few minutes ago, ILNA reported on May 19.

Brigadier General Abbasgholi Zadeh, Commander of the IRGC in East Azerbaijan, stated: 'A few minutes ago, a signal from the helicopter and a crew member's mobile phone was received at the crash site.' He added: 'We are currently en route to the targeted area with all military forces, and I hope we can bring good news to the people.'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NBC is reporting it too.

Live updates: Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi's helicopter crashes in northern Iran's fog and cold (nbcnews.com)

The location of the helicopter crash has been identified, Iranian state media reported.

The commander of the East Azerbaijan Army said that a signal from the helicopter and a cellphone belonging to one of the crew members at the accident site was received "minutes ago."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Setton said:

And his replacement will be just the same, so no incentive for assassination.

Better the Devil you know as they say.

• Like 3

They still haven't located the crash.

Live updates: Iran President Ebrahim Raisi in helicopter crash in East Azerbaijan Province; Hamas voices concern (cnn.com)

Rescue crews haven't yet located the crash site of the helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi, the head of Iran’s Red Crescent Society, Pir-Hossein Koulivand, told Iranian state TV IRINN.

Earlier, a military commander said the aircraft's exact location had been detected through a signal from the helicopter and a mobile phone of a crew member, according to state news agency IRNA.

The crews are still searching around where the signals were detected, Koulivand said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1