Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA test confirms presence of an exotic big cat in British countryside

UM-Bot

I love this story. So many here, at seeing the videos and photos, say, looks like a labradorite, looks like a large housecat etc. 

Now, proof positive.

Humble pie anyone? With cream or custard? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cougars are usually in the western US. But they've been caught on trailcam in midwestern states east of the Mississippi. They once were in the Midwest until settlers came in and killed them off in the 1800s. Rumor has it that the Department of Natural Resources released them to control the deer population that's abundant.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I love this story. So many here, at seeing the videos and photos, say, looks like a labradorite, looks like a large housecat etc. 

Now, proof positive.

I've seen footage that is definitely just a black house cat and I've seen footage that looks like an actual big cat.  Just because they have DNA evidence does not mean every photo, video or sighting was of a black panther.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

"Sir, you wife is having an affair with the UPS guy"

"That's ridiculous - where is the evidence?"

"Here is the video of the UPS guy making 5 deliveries in the space of two hours to your house while you are gone at work."

"That doesn't prove anything.  We order things all the time."

"In this clip, he doesn't have any pants on while he exits the porch"

"It was probably hot that day."

"Here are photos of your children, who look nothing like you, side-by-side with the UPS guy"

"It's purely a coincidence.  Or Jupiter."

Edited by Cho Jinn
language!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hawken said:

Cougars are usually in the western US. But they've been caught on trailcam in midwestern states east of the Mississippi. They once were in the Midwest until settlers came in and killed them off in the 1800s. Rumor has it that the Department of Natural Resources released them to control the deer population that's abundant.

They were common here in the northeast also but hunted and killed off by the mid 1800s. Pennsylvania does have a rather large population of bobcats though. Bobcats are much smaller and marked than cougars. People have claimed to see them but no sightings have ever been verified.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Now, proof positive.

I have posted MANY times here that those exotic cats were jaguarundis.

No common cat.

And the last report about an odd cat in the UK made me think of a released jaguar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Now, proof positive.

I agree with you.  I thought the sightings and photos did show a large cat, and now it’s proven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Now, proof positive.

No humbie pie Mr trolling for a got cha, most if not all pics of alleged big cats in Britain were large house cats or even dogs like a "Labradore" lol,  so not to use this as a moment to show how your knee jerk was unwarranted,  keep in mind this type evidence is what we've been asking for and what our mere asking causes empty handed dear true believers to go ad hominem on us about.

I for one I'm delighted in this find this is a step closer to proving big cats do roam Britain, I always figured they did. Zoo escapes lost or cast out pets, it's not unlike wild apes living here in Florida, relax maybe you will get your got cha next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cho Jinn said:

"Sir, you wife is having an affair with the UPS guy"

"That's ridiculous - where is the evidence?"

"Here is the video of the UPS guy making 5 deliveries in the space of two hours to your house while you are gone at work."

"That doesn't prove anything.  We order things all the time."

"In this clip, he doesn't have any pants on while he exits the porch"

"It was probably hot that day."

"Here are photos of your children, who look nothing like you, side-by-side with the UPS guy"

"It's purely a coincidence.  Or Jupiter."

But there are 15 other delivery persons doing the same at that guy's house are they all doing his wife? Can we say empty handed believers grasping? Sure we can.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I agree with you.  I thought the sightings and photos did show a large cat, and now it’s proven.

100% of pics and videos of alleged big cats in Britain really were big cats, um okay, whatever you say guy.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

100% of pics and videos of alleged big cats in Britain really were big cats, um okay, whatever you say guy.

I never said 100%, but it was obviously more than zero percent, wasn’t it?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've tended to sway to the probability of a small population of big cats so it's nice to have dna evidence.even though most of the photo /video evidence looked to be domestic cats,black labs or faraway hard to gauge images to me.

Hey you never know,someone might come up with some footy dna one day.now that would be a gotcha moment for some.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So first it was there's no big cats, now it's they are not all big cats. Folk have been saying for years they saw them.  Why not take folk at their word? 

Edited by Gumball
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will admit that I was wrong in this instance. There now is a scientifically proven method applied to demonstrate that there is evidence of a large prefatory cat in the area recently. 

@Earl.Of.Trumps, @OpenMindedSceptic, @Guyver, see? I can admit when I'm wrong. It's not difficult at all.

• Like 5

A black panther of either jaguar or leopard lineage would be a very dangerous predator to have wandering the uk countryside. What has stopped them from leaving strings of dead humans?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

No humbie pie Mr trolling for a got cha, most if not all pics of alleged big cats in Britain were large house cats or even dogs like a "Labradore" lol,  so not to use this as a moment to show how your knee jerk was unwarranted,  keep in mind this type evidence is what we've been asking for and what our mere asking causes empty handed dear true believers to go ad hominem on us about.

I for one I'm delighted in this find this is a step closer to proving big cats do roam Britain, I always figured they did. Zoo escapes lost or cast out pets, it's not unlike wild apes living here in Florida, relax maybe you will get your got cha next time.

I would make on correction that it's monkeys living in the wild in Florida, not apes. At least, no apes that we know of. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, mw.decavia said:

A black panther of either jaguar or leopard lineage would be a very dangerous predator to have wandering the uk countryside. What has stopped them from leaving strings of dead humans?

Humans are not normal prey items for panthers or jaguars. They would rather stay away from humans. 

• Like 1

lol I like how the picture in the article is just clearly a big cat. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mw.decavia said:

An extreme fear of humans? Lots of sheep running around?

What I would like to see is the findings now be peer reviewed as well as an intensive tracking effort to locate the animal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

I would make on correction that it's monkeys living in the wild in Florida, not apes. At least, no apes that we know of. 

Apes as in chimps etc have been spotted here also gibbons , now some do not survive past that nice poor soul who escaped or was cast out. I'm not here to convince anyone of it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Apes as in chimps etc have been spotted here also gibbons , now some do not survive past that nice poor soul who escaped or was cast out. I'm not here to convince anyone of it.

I only knew about the monkey colonies. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Trelane said:

What I would like to see is the findings now be peer reviewed as well as an intensive tracking effort to locate the animal.

What we have isn't a body, it's not any collaborative evidence it's a step in a direction that big cats at least one might have left DNA while feeding it's not the winfall some believers think it to be so the next move is collecting much much more DNA to show more than one type or specimen is running around not for example one pet or zoo animal who escaped or got turned out like happens here with apes and of course monkeys ( I had a pet monkey years back but she passed of illness )

The reason I wrote that as I did is I do not know things like was there a chain of provenance in collecting that DNA, do we know as fact it's not salted as in a zoo worker or pet owner is having fun, is the DNA lab accredited and published all in a peer review up front way,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

I only knew about the monkey colonies. 

Many thanks, yes, we have colonies of for example squirrel monkeys like I had one as a pet. While I believe what you mean is  "great apes* yeah, would be limited to escaping pets and zoo escapes or cast offs and while say a chimp could survive a while they are not colonies or breeding pops or anything like that that the monkeys are doing here.

And something like a gorilla or orangutan I would believe would be proven quickly.

• Like 2