Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Can We Learn From Coral Castle?

Shuffletracker

In the 70s I watched an episode of In Search Of and was blown away by the story of Coral Castle in Florida. The story is that Edward Leedskalnin built this place all by himself in which he refused to allow anyone to view him while he worked. And he worked at night. One of these rocks weighted 15 tons!

To me, how was he able to manipulate these stones into works of art? By himself? Maybe he had the secret to gravity?

IDK.

What is your opinion on Coral Castle?

• Like 4

Pretty well known how it was done. 

But Leedskalnin worked alone using basic tools like picks, winches, ropes and pulleys. Leedskalnin himself said that that he did it using hard work and the principles of leverage. The tools he used to quarry the rock are on display at the Coral Castle, and several old photos depict the large tripods, pulleys, and winches he used to move the blocks. Though the quarried stone slabs are large, they are actually lighter than they appear because the rock is porous.

https://www.livescience.com/41075-coral-castle.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

In Search Of

I was a child in the 70s who looked forward to that show with my grandmother who raised me, I have many episodes on my comp, sadly when I got on the net back in the win 95 days quickly so many cool things I wondered about went into the trash can,

Last time I was down south I want to hit the castle but it was late in the day and we were beat. Just a couple weeks ago a friend at the club I work told me parts of billy idol white wedding were filmed there, I didn't check that trivia yet.

I don't think Coral Castle was really the mystery it was hyped to be, but rather a hey this is cool tourists stop way before the demon mouse invaded Florida.

2 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Pretty well known how it was done. 

https://www.livescience.com/41075-coral-castle.html

I read an article a while back about the use of solenoid type electrical devices used on its build I don't know if that's collaborated in this book by I would like to check it out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I was a child in the 70s who looked forward to that show with my grandmother who raised me, I have many episodes on my comp, sadly when I got on the net back in the win 95 days quickly so many cool things I wondered about went into the trash can,

Last time I was down south I want to hit the castle but it was late in the day and we were beat. Just a couple weeks ago a friend at the club I work told me parts of billy idol white wedding were filmed there, I didn't check that trivia yet.

I don't think Coral Castle was really the mystery it was hyped to be, but rather a hey this is cool tourists stop way before the demon mouse invaded Florida.

I read an article a while back about the use of solenoid type electrical devices used on its build I don't know if that's collaborated in this book by I would like to check it out.

There's all kinds of pictures of his tools and the contraptions he used to move the blocks. It just seems like another manufactured mystery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

There's all kinds of pictures of his tools and the contraptions he used to move the blocks. It just seems like another manufactured mystery. 

Yeah, my OCD took over my weary stressed mind, Orval Irwin wrote his book in 96? But was friends of Leedskalnin when he built the castle? How old was Irwin?

• Like 2

A review on Amazon gives this book a better kudo at exposing things,

Coral Castle Construction by John Martin

One thing for sure it was a creature of the era, it couldn't happen today f you get what I mean.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

In the 70s I watched an episode of In Search Of and was blown away by the story of Coral Castle in Florida. The story is that Edward Leedskalnin built this place all by himself in which he refused to allow anyone to view him while he worked. And he worked at night. One of these rocks weighted 15 tons!

To me, how was he able to manipulate these stones into works of art? By himself? Maybe he had the secret to gravity?

IDK.

What is your opinion on Coral Castle?

I figured out Coral Castle the first time I had to move furniture that weighed more than I did.

I gently walked a huge oak 4 poster bed down 2 flights of stairs using pivoting around its center of gravity.  I was only nearly crushed twice.  Using levers, wedges, balance, pivoting, and a few other techniques, it wouldn't be difficult to do a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I figured out Coral Castle the first time I had to move furniture that weighed more than I did.

I gently walked a huge oak 4 poster bed down 2 flights of stairs using pivoting around its center of gravity.  I was only nearly crushed twice.  Using levers, wedges, balance, pivoting, and a few other techniques, it wouldn't be difficult to do a lot more.

Yeah, you nailed it. Great going slick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first thought: the rock was porous and therefore relatively lightweight. Well done me! :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

I was a child in the 70s who looked forward to that show with my grandmother who raised me, I have many episodes on my comp, sadly when I got on the net back in the win 95 days quickly so many cool things I wondered about went into the trash can

I loved the show as a kid. It was one of the things that initially sparked my interest in ancient/unsolved mysteries. 

I still enjoy watching it today but for different reasons. It’s mostly nostalgia now. The program has great atmosphere for one, and I love reliving life in the 70s. The clothes, cars, especially all the vintage tech, the theme music. Not a cellphone in sight. Leonard Nimoy was a great host and had the perfect voice for narration. 

One thing I noticed… during the opening montage, they show a crystal skull but in six seasons they never actually did an episode on one!

Of course, most of the mysteries have either been solved or shown not to have been mysteries to begin with. But that doesn’t take away the enjoyment for me. I was always disappointed that they never covered certain historical mysteries, like the Man in the Iron Mask, the Lost Dauphin, the disappearance of Judge Crater and what happened to Dag Hammarskjold’s plane.

By all accounts Ed Leedskalnin was an unusual person. I’d love to learn more about his earlier life prior to Coral Castle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
Just now, Antigonos said:

I loved the show as a kid. It was one of the things that initially sparked my interest in ancient/unsolved mysteries. 

Yes, I think many of us loved that show.  I used to watch it on Saturday mornings after the cartoons in Australia.  It is all available on YT if you care to go looking, and you are in a nostalgic mood.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Antigonos said:

I still enjoy watching it today but for different reasons. It’s mostly nostalgia now. The program has great atmosphere for one, and I love reliving life in the 70s. The clothes, cars, especially all the vintage tech, the theme music. Not a cellphone in sight. Leonard Nimoy was a great host and had the perfect voice for narration. 

One thing I noticed… during the opening montage, they show a crystal skull but in six seasons they never actually did an episode on one!

Of course, most of the mysteries have either been solved or shown not to have been mysteries to begin with. But that doesn’t take away the enjoyment for me. I was always disappointed that they never covered certain historical mysteries, like the Man in the Iron Mask, the Lost Dauphin, the disappearance of Judge Crater and what happened to Dag Hammarskjold’s plane.

By all accounts Ed Leedskalnin was an unusual person. I’d love to learn more about his earlier life prior to Coral Castle.

I agree same with me, heck my personal car is a 1969 model,

The crystal skull the most famous Mitchell-Hedges and well debunked as just a gaff or hoax has such a cool story to me it's as good or better than if it really did have magical paranormal powers which it didn't, I do think some of the players involved got a bit mental delusional and believed their own made up stories it's a great read for a few hours when you have spare time,

I did that last night with Leedskalnin several hours of reading and while a bit opinionated and eccentric he really wasn't as amazing or weird as I once gave him credit,

In my case my OCD I never missed the fact it took this guy decades to build the CC something a building crew could have done even back then in a month or so.

One thing about "in search of" it was presented imnsho very supermarket tabloid style in that unproven weirdness was presented as fact,

It's on YouTube check out the Bermuda triangle episode it's just so silly it's Uber fun cool at least to me.

• Like 3

I've been there within the last decade.

I think the most amazing thing about it is how SMALL it is -- about the size of four house-sized lots in my neighborhood (about the size of any nearby elementary school playground, for better reference.)

There's photos of him and his hoists and winches and pole setup, showing him moving rocks.  He also lectured at local shop classes on occasion.

• Like 5

If one man could do this by himself, the Pyramids were a snap for thousands.

• Thanks 3

On 5/23/2024 at 11:43 AM, Hammerclaw said:

If one man could do this by himself, the Pyramids were a snap for thousands.

No, it was obviously an alien who built the pyramids...

image.jpeg.6d030276c586011b615a0e2c033970fe.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 5/21/2024 at 11:05 PM, Antigonos said:

Wiki actually has a decent write up, if you follow the links as well it's pretty comprehensive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Leedskalnin

• Thanks 2