Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the guillotine painful?

Still Waters

Does it hurt to be executed by guillotine? Do you remain conscious after being decapitated? Unfortunately, there’s nobody with first-hand experience around to answer that question. Nevertheless, it is possible to piece together a fair amount of evidence that indicates how a last dance with the guillotine might go down.

The guillotine is the iconic contraption that was designed to swiftly decapitate humans using a large, falling blade. It is best known as the weapon of choice of zealous French Revolutionaries in the 18th century, but it remained a method of execution in the country until the late 20th century. 

An estimated 15,000 to 17,000 people were guillotined during the French Revolution, the majority of which were “common people,” not wealthy aristocrats and decadent royals. Part of the reason the guillotine was widely used during this time was it was considered to be humane. 

https://www.iflscience.com/is-the-guillotine-painful-74338

• Like 5

Thanks for the link. I was shocked to discover that the guillotine was still used in France in the late 20th century. :o

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Thanks for the link. I was shocked to discover that the guillotine was still used in France in the late 20th century. :o

:lol: Haha! Now I'm wondering why I was shocked. It sounds as if it's the most humane method of execution, if somewhat primitive in outward appearance. Personally, I think I would prefer it to electrocution or lethal injection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

:lol: Haha! Now I'm wondering why I was shocked. It sounds as if it's the most humane method of execution, if somewhat primitive in outward appearance. Personally, I think I would prefer it to electrocution or lethal injection.

Guillotine would be my first choice, can't think of a quicker or less painful way.

I wonder if they sell them on ebay...asking for a friend 🤪

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)

Ever been anesthetized?  (put to sleep for an operation or procedure)?   Why not do that first?   I remember once.. they hooked up an IV  (ouch). . . then told me to count backward from 100.    “99   98   97   9§”. ………….      After that they could have dropped me in boiling water and I wouldn’t have felt a thing.   👍

Edited by lightly
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, lightly said:

Ever been anesthetized?  (put to sleep for an operation or procedure)?   Why not do that first?   I remember once.. they hooked up an IV  (ouch). . . then told me to count backward from 100.    “99   98   97   9§”. ………….      After that they could have dropped me in boiling water and I wouldn’t have felt a thing.   👍

Yes, I have and that would be preferable to having my head sliced off!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, lightly said:

I had anesthetic (gas) when i got teeth removed as a kid ,had a trippy nightmare when i was under.then started puking as soon as i woke up.

So head chopped off every time for me.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

:lol:   ..not laughing At you…laughing With you.  I remember the gas…for a tonsillectomy .     Woke up in the hallway, in a tiny bed with wheels ,a bedpan, 🤑    and a Colorful wooden puzzle with about 9 BIG pieces in it.    Good times. 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I was shocked to discover that the guillotine was still used in France in the late 20th century.

The last use of the guillotine in France was after the release of the first Star Wars film. I was 11.

• Like 7

On 5/23/2024 at 12:37 PM, lightly said:

:lol:   ..not laughing At you…laughing With you.  I remember the gas…for a tonsillectomy .     Woke up in the hallway, in a tiny bed with wheels ,a bedpan, 🤑    and a Colorful wooden puzzle with about 9 BIG pieces in it.    Good times. 

Oya!  ..and they gave me a bowl of Ice Cream!   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, Still Waters said:

Does it hurt to be executed by guillotine?

yes

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lightly said:

Oya!  ..and they gave me a bowl of Ice Cream!   :)

Nice..my dad nipped into greggs,left me outside staggering around like an 11 year old zombie.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yes

No.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

..a thousand pardons.    

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, diddyman68 said:

No.

prove it

Just now, Dejarma said:

prove it

Send me a guillotine,if i squeel ,you win.but I'm pretty sure i won't.

• Haha 1

Just now, diddyman68 said:

Send me a guillotine,if i squeel ,you win.but I'm pretty sure i won't.

home made guillotine in the shed... cut my own head off= trust me it feckin hurt for 1.24 seconds then went dark...

you can not argue with someone who has first hand experience, show some respect mate!

if you have the the balls/ the guts to do it yaself to prove me wrong then go for it!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

home made guillotine in the shed... cut my own head off= trust me it feckin hurt for 1.24 seconds then went dark...

you can not argue with someone who has first hand experience, show some respect mate!

if you have the the balls/ the guts to do it yaself to prove me wrong then go for it!!

1.24  seconds ya wanna sharpen ya blade mate,

Then again 1.24 seconds of pain for a southerner must seem like an eternity.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2024 at 8:37 AM, ouija ouija said:

I would choose it over even lethal injection.  Severing the spinal cord just below where it becomes the brain stem would stop any pain from being processed, so it wouldn't be felt at all.  I'd be more reluctant to be beheaded by a sword or axe, though.  Too many variables involved with that method.  Just ask "Nearly headless Nick" of Harry Potter fame :lol:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, diddyman68 said:

blade was very sharp.... yeah, you should move down south- easy easy life mate.. so why are you still living in gateshead if you feel so hard done by?

• Haha 2

On 5/23/2024 at 2:47 PM, Still Waters said:

Does it hurt to be executed by guillotine? Do you remain conscious after being decapitated? Unfortunately, there’s nobody with first-hand experience around to answer that question. Nevertheless, it is possible to piece together a fair amount of evidence that indicates how a last dance with the guillotine might go down.

The guillotine is the iconic contraption that was designed to swiftly decapitate humans using a large, falling blade. It is best known as the weapon of choice of zealous French Revolutionaries in the 18th century, but it remained a method of execution in the country until the late 20th century. 

An estimated 15,000 to 17,000 people were guillotined during the French Revolution, the majority of which were “common people,” not wealthy aristocrats and decadent royals. Part of the reason the guillotine was widely used during this time was it was considered to be humane. 

https://www.iflscience.com/is-the-guillotine-painful-74338

Quote from Wiki:

The most famous legend of Störtebeker relates to the execution itself. Störtebeker is said to have asked the mayor of Hamburg to release as many of his companions as he could walk past after being beheaded. Following the granting of this request and the subsequent beheading, Störtebeker's body arose and walked past eleven of his men before the executioner tripped him with an outstretched foot. Nevertheless, the eleven men were executed along with the others. The senate of Hamburg asked the executioner if he was not tired after all this, but he replied he could easily execute the whole of the senate as well. For this, he himself was sentenced to death and executed by the youngest member of the senate.[6]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, diddyman68 said:

Northerner Arrested in London for Terrifying Residents by Greeting Strangers with "Mornin"

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, and-then said:

I would choose it over even lethal injection.  Severing the spinal cord just below where it becomes the brain stem would stop any pain from being processed, so it wouldn't be felt at all.  I'd be more reluctant to be beheaded by a sword or axe, though.  Too many variables involved with that method.  Just ask "Nearly headless Nick" of Harry Potter fame :lol:

I have to wonder though…would the event still be EXPERIENCED for the period of time it takes for brain death to happen!?     That’s why I’d opt for the injection.. been there, done that, and I experienced nothing other than a little sting from the needle. zzzzzzzzzzzzz.   😑