Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why it’s not ‘alright’ if your dog is friendly

Still Waters

A series of recent attacks by XL bully type dogs in the UK, and government attempts to both define and control the breed, has refocused attention on how society manages “dangerous dogs”.

Much media coverage focuses on the trauma that pets or humans endure after they’ve been attacked by an XL bully, or protests from XL bully owners that their dogs are being unfairly singled out.

But my research showed that many owners have to deal with problematic behaviour when walking their dogs. Many of my research participants advocated closer control of all dogs in public, or at least a recognition that some dogs need to be given more space.

https://theconversation.com/why-its-not-alright-if-your-dog-is-friendly-226648

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've seen/owned 100 lb docile overgrown babies,and seen/owned mighty midgets with severe Napoleon complex...

Much like humans,no matter what they may have been bred for,all dogs have their own unique personalities and learn behavioral patterns from a young age...no matter the breed.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

I've seen/owned 100 lb docile overgrown babies,and seen/owned mighty midgets with severe Napoleon complex...

Much like humans,no matter what they may have been bred for,all dogs have their own unique personalities and learn behavioral patterns from a young age...no matter the breed.

Yes, dogs are like people. You have the friendly ones and the grumpy ones.

My nephew has 2 yorkies. 1 is kinda shy while the other is somewhat aggressive.

Edited by Hawken
  • Like 2