Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What ended slavery on a global scale? <--

Alex_Rogan

At what moment did slavery cease to exist? 

Why aren't there great stories about how it all seemed to stop suddenly across the whole planet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex_Rogan said:

Why aren't there great stories about how it all seemed to stop suddenly across the whole planet?

It hasn’t ceased to exist.

There are great stories in which individual nations legislated against the ownership of slaves.

Sadly slavery is alive and well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

There are great stories in which individual nations legislated against the ownership of slaves.

oof. That's heartbreaking. 

Seems like it's been rebranded. "A good slave doesn't realize they've been enslaved" - grim lol

I guess I'm curious about the epoch in humanity that shifted from outright ownership of other human beings - the buying and selling of servants - to the collapse of that trade. 

Debt seems to be the most powerfull leverage for the rebranding of slavery.

(deleted rant)

I guess I think there should be more stories about getting free than there are about being enslaved. Searching for inspiration, feedback, and research leads on this subgenre of True Crime.

Edited by Alex_Rogan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Steam engines, combustion engines, etcetera. I.e. the industrial revolution. And Christianity, of course.

Edited by Ell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ell said:

Steam engines, combustion engines, etcetera. I.e. the industrial revolution. And Christianity, of course.

industrial advancement and christian compassion?

I like it. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Alex_Rogan said:

The moment the PTB renamed it “the prison system”.

11 minutes ago, Ell said:

Only certain brands of Christianity (like the Quakers), others were all for it (to the point of having special slave bibles being printed) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ell said:

And Christianity, of course.

Lol 

The bible condones slavery 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Alex_Rogan said:

The British Empire had a major push to destroy the Atlantic Slave trade on the high seas after Parliament banned slavery thanks to the Quakers' successful campaign.  The British Navy, which had been a major exploiter of slaves in the West Indies, freed them all, and then set about an extensive campaign to rid the world of slavery at sea, bombarding several slave ports to oblivion.  Of course a number of woke ewoks will swear black and blue that the British Empire was all about slavery and demand reparations, forgetting how many Africans captured and owned slaves.  The famous "richest man in history", the African prince Mansu Musa of Mali grew rich on the back of being the largest slave owner in history, for example, but that doesn't fit the ewok narrative.  The French toyed with the idea, but the USA had their civil war before France decided to abandon the practice.  Spain and Portugal were slow.  The Muslim world continued to practice their brand of particularly abusive slavery, which involved sterilization, for many decades until they were conquered.  Officially Mauritania was the last nation to abolish slavery.  

Of course the issue is that slavery is unfortunately still with us today, so we can't really celebrate.  Some say there are more people in illegal bondage, either via trafficking or atrocious and illegal labor conditions, than there ever were in the 19th century. 

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 6

@Alchopwn

That's alot of great info.

Thank you. 

I think there are some interesting stories that could be told on the subject. Thanks for giving me some leads to look into.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 2:50 AM, Grey Area said:

And philosophically it can be argued that we are ALL slaves.  Our owners are the Corporations we work for.  Does the electric company pay you?  No!  But you work for them for free.  Slaves work and they get fed.  Work is slavery.  We are slaves to a machine that never stops and we can't stop either.  On the plantation as a slave you work and you do what the boss says.  If you stop working you will probably die.  What has changed regardless of one's economic status?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joc said:

And philosophically it can be argued that we are ALL slaves.  Our owners are the Corporations we work for.  Does the electric company pay you?  No!  But you work for them for free.  Slaves work and they get fed.  Work is slavery.  We are slaves to a machine that never stops and we can't stop either.  On the plantation as a slave you work and you do what the boss says.  If you stop working you will probably die.  What has changed regardless of one's economic status?

Not really slaves as we can quit anytime we like.   We can choose to quit using electricity too.

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not really slaves as we can quit anytime we like.   We can choose to quit using electricity too.

Yeah...if you want to be homeless. You can.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 10:17 PM, joc said:

Yeah...if you want to be homeless. You can.

Or if you want to live off the grid.   I power much with solar but not all.

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Or if you want to live off the grid.   I power much with solar but not all.

There is no living 'off the grid'...unless  you are homeless.

• Like 1

Apart from what joc said about us all being slaves to the system there are more slaves around the world now than there have ever been. I choose to live on the fringe of society so I consider myself more a semi slave, a house N if you like, lol.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, joc said:

There is no living 'off the grid'...unless  you are homeless.

I disagree.  There are many people who have chosen to live off the grid and they are not homeless.  Some power their homes by solar or wind or a combo of both.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 12:46 AM, Alex_Rogan said:

I think it was about money, not the ethics.  Plantation owners in the US and Caribbean were becoming to rich by not having to pay workers.  Other business owners had a hard time in competition,  so, prevent the owning of slaves.  Maybe I am just jaded when it comes yo humans, but, I don't see that ending slavery was out of the goodness of their hearts

On 5/29/2024 at 10:06 PM, Myles said:

Human trafficking is still very prevalent.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.  There are many people who have chosen to live off the grid and they are not homeless.  Some power their homes by solar or wind or a combo of both.  

It is against the law to live off the grid. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Where do they get their water?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, joc said:

Where do they get their water?

I get mine from rainwater collected off the roof into tanks as do most living in the country over here.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, superman73 said:

It is against the law to live off the grid. 

Never heard of that, heaps of people do it in Oz. What country is that in superman?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, openozy said:

Never heard of that, heaps of people do it in Oz. What country is that in superman?

Would you consider yourself living off the grid?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joc said:

Would you consider yourself living off the grid?  

I'm self sufficient for electricity, a lot of what I eat, firewood, water and smoko but I wouldn't consider myself off the grid. I buy some groceries, petrol, stuff for the house and cars. I want to know why it is illegal to be off grid though. Is it something to do with taxes? 

• Like 2