Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rishi Sunak says he will bring back National Service

pellinore

Posted (edited)

Rishi is determined that the Tories will sink without trace.

After holding his GE announcement in the rain (even though he has a £2 million unused media centre in No 10) demonstrating he is one of those people who haven't the sense to take an umbrella out when it is raining; asking the Welsh if they are looking forward to the footie when they are out of the Euros; getting himself filmed building a Red Wall at a photo op; he has now drawn attention to the fact that the Tories have reduced the Army by 70k personnel since they came into power in 2010. He has also alienated the young vote. Crazy!

Rishi Sunak has said he will introduce a new form of mandatory National Service for young people if the Conservatives win the general election.

In the first new policy announcement of the campaign, the prime minister has unveiled a plan that would see 18-year-olds given the choice of a full-time military placement for 12 months or a scheme to volunteer for one weekend a month for a year.

The placement would be selective - with tests used to decide who is eligible - and involve working with the armed forces or in cyber defence.

Rishi Sunak says he will bring back National Service if Tories win general election | Politics News | Sky News

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1

Very fascist of him. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Must have been scared the drop in inflation left a tiny chance of him actually winning.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

Rishi is determined that the Tories will sink without trace.

After holding his GE announcement in the rain (even though he has a £2 million unused media centre in No 10) demonstrating he is one of those people who haven't the sense to take an umbrella out when it is raining; asking the Welsh if they are looking forward to the footie when they are out of the Euros; getting himself filmed building a Red Wall at a photo op; he has now drawn attention to the fact that the Tories have reduced the Army by 70k personnel since they came into power in 2010. He has also alienated the young vote. Crazy!

Rishi Sunak has said he will introduce a new form of mandatory National Service for young people if the Conservatives win the general election.

In the first new policy announcement of the campaign, the prime minister has unveiled a plan that would see 18-year-olds given the choice of a full-time military placement for 12 months or a scheme to volunteer for one weekend a month for a year.

The placement would be selective - with tests used to decide who is eligible - and involve working with the armed forces or in cyber defence.

Rishi Sunak says he will bring back National Service if Tories win general election | Politics News | Sky News

With high school leavers I agree with national service.

But I don`t think 16 or 17 year olds should be used for front line service. I think they should be limited to support roles.

• Like 2

There are many who feel the youth of today need some experience in being a productive citizen. 😉

My dad was the last of National military call up in 1960 and he could either go and register, at his designated army camp, or the police would pick him up and throw him in a cell.

As there will be no imprisonment of those not complying then this announcement is more about optics than bolstering the armed forces.

• Like 2

National service is a great idea. Get them off social media for a year. Get them outdoors. Stop them being transitioning namby pambys. Get r8d of some of the leftists teachings ingrained in them by teachers of pre-18 students.

• Like 4

Well, too many don't want to work, are narcissistic, and are not empathetic.   Of course, this is not 100% of this age group, but over 50% of the ones I have had interactions with are like this.  Codling the children and telling them they are special doesn't work when EVERYONE is special.  They can't reason, they were not allowed to make mistakes because of the molly coddling, they were not told 'no'  so, they don't know how to deal with rejection or not getting their way.  There are billions of people on this planet, they need to understand we all need to work together.  I really think some of the other countries are laughing at the western countries with how weak our societies are.

• Like 4

Whilst I doubt such a proposal will actually happen (as a general rule, anything a politician promises will happen if he is elected is the one thing certain not to happen), there are a lot of people who would support it.  Could be a bit winner IMO. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Essan said:

Whilst I doubt such a proposal will actually happen (as a general rule, anything a politician promises will happen if he is elected is the one thing certain not to happen), there are a lot of people who would support it.  Could be a bit winner IMO. 

It was probably born in a focus group, as Farage has said. It will never work in practise- they would be no use to the army, they would just take up valuable time and money trying to make something of them.

Possibly a better use of the young unemployed would be to get them to replace seasonal farm workers- 9 months working on a farm in Kent, bunking in caravans. They might pick up some work skills.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

National service is a great idea. Get them off social media for a year. Get them outdoors. Stop them being transitioning namby pambys. Get r8d of some of the leftists teachings ingrained in them by teachers of pre-18 students.

Ah yes, because 1 weekend a month volunteering is plenty of time to brainwash young people to agree with you 🙄

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Ah yes, because 1 weekend a month volunteering is plenty of time to brainwash young people to agree with you 🙄

As opposed to 5-18 year olds being taught leftist rantings by teachers over a 13 year period? I think your worries are unfounded. The damage is done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

As opposed to 5-18 year olds being taught leftist rantings by teachers over a 13 year period? I think your worries are unfounded. The damage is done.

Obviously a bit over your head. I'm not worried. My point is that your hope, that national service will somehow brainwash young people to agree with you, is unrealistic. 

The vast majority would only be doing one weekend a month.

Also, this entire scenario rests on the Tories somehow winning (and not going back on their manifesto) so...

• Like 1

No one old enough for national service is also old enough to vote.

But their parents will vote and might not be too pleased at their kids dying in war. I think Sunak is trying his very hardest to win the least amount of votes ever for a second term in office.

At this rate he is going to do worse than Brown lol.

• Like 1

71344-96b4ac25-b04d-4e4e-8855-72cef60e4ed0.jpeg.edc9670ca1145eaabc87caed83047c8d.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2024 at 2:21 PM, Setton said:

Obviously a bit over your head. I'm not worried. My point is that your hope, that national service will somehow brainwash young people to agree with you, is unrealistic. 

The vast majority would only be doing one weekend a month.

Also, this entire scenario rests on the Tories somehow winning (and not going back on their manifesto) so...

I doubt if the army would have an interest in brainwashing anybody. They generally want to break an individuals self-will and get them used to taking instruction.

If you know someone who has been through military service their attitude is significantly different to civilians, they appreciate working towards a goal and will strive to achieve it.

I doubt if many started with that frame of mind and many who served will acknowledge the fact. 

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I doubt if the army would have an interest in brainwashing anybody. They generally want to break an individuals self-will and get them used to taking instruction.

If you know someone who has been through military service their attitude is significantly different to civilians, they appreciate working towards a goal and will strive to achieve it.

I doubt if many started with that frame of mind and many who served will acknowledge the fact. 

Tell it to the loon who thinks national service will brainwash young people to be more right wing.

21 hours ago, Setton said:

Tell it to the loon who thinks national service will brainwash young people to be more right wing.

They probably would emerge from the services with a more right wing view but not because the ideology has been pushed down their throat's.

I think the right wing view of ex-conscripts comes from the idea of how individuals see the world, when they take some responsibility for their own actions and improve their own status.

And national service is more likely to instill this idea than not. 

This is natural progression not brainwashing.

If you feel the state should provide support under all circumstances then you are more likely to vote for a party, left wing, that might provide that. 

35 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

They probably would emerge from the services with a more right wing view but not because the ideology has been pushed down their throat's.

I think the right wing view of ex-conscripts comes from the idea of how individuals see the world, when they take some responsibility for their own actions and improve their own status.

And national service is more likely to instill this idea than not. 

This is natural progression not brainwashing.

If you feel the state should provide support under all circumstances then you are more likely to vote for a party, left wing, that might provide that. 

How dare the say the military will have a brainwashing effect when they are in schools, colleges, and universities, with student and teacher unions doing that very thing.

Even worse, they want to lower the voting age so they can win the votes of the younger adults too clueless to know about life and finances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duke Wellington said:

Even worse, they want to lower the voting age so they can win the votes of the younger adults too clueless to know about life and finances.

The over-65s were the cohort who had the highest percentage who voted to make themselves poorer, the country poorer, increase immigration and undermine our industries in 2016.

So I don't think you can accuse the young of being clueless about life and finances.

• Confused 1

On 5/27/2024 at 11:25 PM, Duke Wellington said:

No one old enough for national service is also old enough to vote.

But their parents will vote and might not be too pleased at their kids dying in war. I think Sunak is trying his very hardest to win the least amount of votes ever for a second term in office.

At this rate he is going to do worse than Brown lol.

I’m thinking this initiative of Sunak is part of a general plan across Europe and America to harness illegals who “coincidentally” just happen to be single males in their early 20’s in preparation for some possible future war

2 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

I’m thinking this initiative of Sunak is part of a general plan across Europe and America to harness illegals who “coincidentally” just happen to be single males in their early 20’s in preparation for some possible future war

So the plan is to target men in their early 20s for the military by making 18 year olds of all genders volunteer in care homes?

40 minutes ago, Setton said:

So the plan is to target men in their early 20s for the military by making 18 year olds of all genders volunteer in care homes?

Well it’s just a theory at this stage, but you can’t exactly say all useless and unproductive illegal immigrants without a job or family to support need to be drafted to fight Putin. 

I mean, that would just scare them all away, now wouldn’t it and leave society in a “mess”.