Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did anyone ever heard of Lemeria

Hi-Ro

Could some one tell me about this race because I want to hawaii and told me I was a lermerian decendent..... Take me seriously I know it sounds funny but could someone tell me alittle true about this......

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marduk

• Adramaleck

• antares

• Essan

From "A Short History of Lemuria":

The legend of Mu is found on islands all over the Pacific Ocean.  For thousands of years the Polynesians have handed down the story of a continent in the Pacific that was motherland of mankind.

The name of Mu somehow sounds like an uninteresting contraction of a more exotic name.  In contrast, the word Lemuria invokes a picture of a land at the dawn of time, a land forgotten in our histories but not in our dreams.

The name Lemuria resulted from a Nineteenth Century controversy over Darwin's Origin of the Species.  Defenders of Darwin had trouble explaining how certain species became distributed over large areas.  Zoologists had a particularly difficult time explaining the distribution of the lemurs.  The lemur is a small primitive form of primate found in Africa, Madagascar, India, and the East Indian archipelago.  Some zoologists suggested a land mass in the Indian Ocean, between Madagascar and India, millions of years ago.  An English zoologist, Phillip L. Schlater, proposed the name Lemuria (LEMURia) for this former land of the LEMURS in the Indian Ocean.

Earnst Heinrich Haeckel (1834-1919), a German naturalist and champion of Darwin, used Lemuria to explain the absence of fossil remains of early man: If man originated on a sunken continent in the Indian Ocean, all the fossils of the missing link are now under the sea.  To quote Haeckel: "Schlater has given this continent the name of Lemuria, from the semi-apes which were characteristic of it." ...

Continued at:

http://www.hawaiian.net/~larryw/html/lemuria.html

Well, if the legend of lemuria is real, we are all lemurian decendents, it was said to be the cradle of life or the 'real' garden of eden, as opposed to africa.

The first humanoids had knees that go both ways, and feet that allowed them to walk both backwards and foward. They had 4 arms and an eye in the back of their head as well.. they were hermaphroditic and laid eggs. They could communicate telepathically. Eventaully they figued out that sex feels good, so they started doing everything they could, even other animals. We formed from a combination of them and a monkey.

Sound weird? Well, it is.

the looks, though, are somewhat similar to indian gods such as shiva... odd coincidence, especially because they were said to be in the same general area.

*shrugs*

In the days before we learnt about plate tectonics, and it was assumed that continents have always been in the same places, the only possible explanation for the similarity in fossils between Africa and SE Asia was a landbridge between the two. This was dubbed 'Lemuria'.

But since we now know that continents move we also know that 'Lemuria' - which was never more than a geological hypothesis - never existed.

End of story.

In the days before we learnt about plate tectonics, and it was assumed that continents have always been in the same places, the only possible explanation for the similarity in fossils between Africa and SE Asia was a landbridge between the two.  This was dubbed 'Lemuria'.

But since we now know that continents move we also know that 'Lemuria' - which was never more than a geological hypothesis - never existed.

End of story.

561264[/snapback]

Mmm, I agree with you, but there still is a chance it could have occured then later flooded on the indo-australian plate.

user posted image

Edited by Adramaleck

No there isn't

Lemuria was never a real place. It was a hypothetical place put forward to explain the similarity in lemur monkeys hence lemur ia

Madame Blavatsky claimed to be in mental contact with lemurian ascended masters who had moved to tibet.

Everytime someone suggests a belief in lemuria they are in fact expressing a belief in the ravings of Madame Blavatsky

There isn't so much as one sentence of lemurian writing in existence nor are there any other archeological remains.

what does that tell you adralameck

Lemuria and ECD are both of the same ilk.

At least ECD was based on a scientific principle worth some attention

which makes it more credible

We all know that it isn't possible though, lemuria less so

Edited by marduk

What's your problem man, I agreed that he was right, but that there was a possiblity

pos·si·bil·i·ty Audio pronunciation of "possibility" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ps-bl-t)

n. pl. pos·si·bil·i·ties

1. The fact or state of being possible.

2. Something that is possible.

3. possibilities Potentiality for favorable or interesting results: The idea has great possibilities.

that it, or something like it could have existed and later been flooded.

I didn't say it was true.

Quit being such an ass.

--Edit:

Just realized the dictionary defined the word by using the word =/ BAD dictionary! *hits it on the nose with a newspaper*

Edited by Adramaleck

Sounds to me that you're saying that there is a possibility that lemuria existed.

There isn't

Sounds to me that you're saying that there is a possibility that lemuria existed.

There isn't

564874[/snapback]

Not of the magnitude it's made up to be, but there may well have been a land mass there.

But surely the only reason that you believe that there could possibly have ever been a landmass there is because you heard that lemuria is in that position.

Otherwise why not pick out the atlantic.

Lemuria didn't exist and there has never been a landmass there. As essan explained continental drift proves that the two opposing coastlines were joined. When they seperated fresh seabed was created by being pushed up by the lithosphere. Areas are only raised up in areas that plates push together.

They are pulling apart ergo no landmass. Ever

Marduc, some sources claim that Lemuria was not a single landmass, but several small ones (similar to the Indonesian islands) and the chain of these big islands originated from volcanic activity along the boundaries of the Pacific plate and what is known now as the Australian plate. So geologically I think that it is very possible that Lemuria existed...

Marduc, some sources claim that Lemuria was not a single landmass, but several small ones (similar to the Indonesian islands) and the chain of these big islands originated from volcanic activity along the boundaries of the Pacific plate and what is known now as the Australian plate.  So geologically I think that it is very possible that Lemuria existed...

564966[/snapback]

Okay so you're saying that you have not read at all about where the name lemuria comes from or you are a big fan of madame blavatsky ?

choose w00t.gif

There are several other sources except Blavatsky that also talk about Lemuria. They don't call it Lemuria, they call it: The Mother land, MU, Arnahem...

I have never read Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine, so my information is not coming from her sources... And I do know where the name Lemuria is coming from, that's why I prefer to refer to it as "The mother land"...

There are several other sources except Blavatsky that also talk about Lemuria. They don't call it Lemuria, they call it: The Mother land, MU, Arnahem...

I have never read Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine, so my information is not coming from her sources... And I do know where the name Lemuria is coming from, that's why I prefer to refer to it as "The mother land"...

564988[/snapback]

Mu: The idea of this continent first appeared in the works of the antiquarian Augustus Le Plongeon (1826–1908), a 19th century traveler and writer who conducted his own investigations of the Maya ruins in Yucatán. He announced that he had translated the ancient Mayan writings, which supposedly showed that the Maya of Yucatán were older than the later civilizations of Atlantis and Egypt, and additionally told the story of an even older continent of Mu, which had foundered in a similar fashion to Atlantis, with the survivors founding the Maya civilisation. (Later students of the Ancient Maya writings argue that Le Plongeon's "translations" were based on little more than his vivid imagination.)

Lemuri, Mu, Arnahem, the motherland, whatever you want to call it never existed in that area of the world.

There is no factual evidence to support it anywhere.

No relics

No writings

Nothing

It would be like believing in a carpenters son who walks on water and raises the dead.

Purely a matter of personal belief supported by no physical evidence !

Lemuri, Mu, Arnahem, the motherland, whatever you want to call it never existed in that area of the world.

No relics

No writings

Nothing

It would be like believing in a carpenters son who walks on water and raises the dead.

Well if it is submurged under the water it will be hard to have any relics, writings and evidence, right?

Heinrich Schliemann went hunting for ancient Troy believing that everything that Homer said in his Iliad is true. He did not have any relics or physical evidence except a fictional tale from an ancient greek poet. Many archeological discoveries today do confirm ancient legends.

Unfortunatelly the science do not have always physical evidence of the phenomena it studies. In many cases the nature of the phenomenon is revealed by indirect data, but to get back to the topic...

I did not say that Lemuria existed, I said it is possible that it existed, and there is noting in the plate tectonic theory that will restrict formation and destruction of a chain of volcanic islands.

My personal belief is that this place existed long time ago on our planet, but that's another story...

No relics

No writings

Nothing

Well if it is submurged under the water it will be hard to have any relics, writings and evidence, right?

Heinrich Schliemann went hunting for ancient Troy believing that everything that Homer said in his Iliad is true. He did not have any relics or physical evidence except a fictional tale from an ancient greek poet. Many archeological discoveries today do confirm ancient legends.

Unfortunatelly the science do not have always physical evidence of the phenomena it studies. In many cases the nature of the phenomenon is revealed by indirect data, but to get back to the topic...

I did not say that Lemuria existed, I said it is possible that it existed, and there is noting in the plate tectonic theory that will restrict formation and destruction of a chain of volcanic islands.

My personal belief is that this place existed long time ago on our planet, but that's another story...

565030[/snapback]

Stick this in your favourites.

Keep watching you might see a real cataclysm.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Marduc, some sources claim that Lemuria was not a single landmass, but several small ones (similar to the Indonesian islands) and the chain of these big islands originated from volcanic activity along the boundaries of the Pacific plate and what is known now as the Australian plate.  So geologically I think that it is very possible that Lemuria existed...

564966[/snapback]

Lemuria was a hypothetical landbridge - invented in the 19th century - between Africa and SE Asia - so how could it have a string of volcanic islands on the edge of the Indo-Australia plate? hmm.gif

Maybe there was a hypothetical tunnel, under the Indian Ocean, connecting Africa to SE Asia? ohmy.gif

• 1 month later...

There appear to be lots of places across the world that have legends of an ancient landmass where civilisation began (Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria etc...)

http://www.cdu.jesusanswers.com/earth.html

This is a website that gives some information that contradicts the theory that the Earth is billions of years old.

I don't know how accurate it is but its a very interesting theory.

If Earth really isn't as old as we believe, perhaps the land mass on Earth called Pangea (millions of years ago when all continents were connected) is the source of the Atlantis/Mu/Lemuria legends because it asn't millions of years ago merely tens of thousands.

Maybe there was a hypothetical tunnel, under the Indian Ocean, connecting Africa to SE Asia? ohmy.gif

568519[/snapback]

That's impossible! The earth is hollow, and at the depth of the Indian Ocean, and tunnell would colapse.

You may have this mixed-up with the Sargasso Sea land bridge.

There appear to be lots of places across the world that have legends of an ancient landmass where civilisation began (Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria etc...)

http://www.cdu.jesusanswers.com/earth.html

This is a website that gives some information that contradicts the theory that the Earth is billions of years old.

I don't know how accurate it is but its a very interesting theory.

If Earth really isn't as old as we believe, perhaps the land mass on Earth called Pangea (millions of years ago when all continents were connected) is the source of the Atlantis/Mu/Lemuria legends because it asn't millions of years ago merely tens of thousands.

623661[/snapback]

thats a biblical website

so any information it may tell you is worthless

just a myth land mass, unless it sank and is perfectly level'd with the sea floor now xD