Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The School of Aristotle: One of the first universities in the world

Kittens Are Jerks

A place of historical and cultural interest, the ruins of the School of Aristotle are located just two miles from the contemporary town of Naoussa in the Greek region of Macedonia. Located in the region of Esvoria along the foothills of Mount Vermio, the School of Aristotle is nestled in a serene setting blanketed by trees. Streams, ponds, and racing waters are found next to the deeply shaded caves mentioned by the ancient writers.

https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/19/discover-the-first-university-in-the-world-macedonias-school-of-aristotle/

Additional article with more info and photos:

https://www.labrujulaverde.com/en/2021/07/the-nymphaeum-of-mieza-the-place-where-aristotle-instructed-alexander-the-great/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

A place of historical and cultural interest, the ruins of the School of Aristotle are located just two miles from the contemporary town of Naoussa in the Greek region of Macedonia. Located in the region of Esvoria along the foothills of Mount Vermio, the School of Aristotle is nestled in a serene setting blanketed by trees. Streams, ponds, and racing waters are found next to the deeply shaded caves mentioned by the ancient writers.

https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/19/discover-the-first-university-in-the-world-macedonias-school-of-aristotle/

Additional article with more info and photos:

https://www.labrujulaverde.com/en/2021/07/the-nymphaeum-of-mieza-the-place-where-aristotle-instructed-alexander-the-great/

The problem I have personally with Greek and Roman civilisations is the acceptance, no, the need for slavery. One in four of the population on average were slaves and had no rights- they could be worked to death, physically or sexually abused, or just murdered on a whim without any legal recourse.

The 5th Century 'Golden Age of Pericles' in which the fabulous temples in Athens were built, were built on the backs of slaves in the silver mines. Not that anyone cares now, but the ancient Greeks had a few moral defects which they never recognised.

Confronting Slavery in the Classical World | Emory | Michael C. Carlos Museum

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, pellinore said:

The problem I have personally with Greek and Roman civilisations is the acceptance, no, the need for slavery. One in four of the population on average were slaves and had no rights- they could be worked to death, physically or sexually abused, or just murdered on a whim without any legal recourse.

Granted Greece and Rome were among the small handful of societies where slavery was the dominant workforce, but slavery was not exclusive to them — it has existed throughout many parts of the world for most of recorded human history.

• Like 4

Sadly, it still exists today.  Those who are allowing the unvetted, uncontrolled human influx at our Southern border are contributing to it, whether they know it or not :( 

• Like 2

It's so amazing how everything has changed over the years. Those ancient universities were so simple but still managed to "raise" so many talented personalities. And now we have so developed and modern universities. And the possibilities those universities provide are amazing. I'm a student, and my uni provides me with so many things, and it's so great. Also, there are many different extra resources, which are very helpful. Some time ago, I also tried this tool for the first time: https://chat.openai.com/g/g-a0ULgFcuZ-essay-helper and it's such a great help when it comes to writing. I use it when I need to check my grammar, and so on, and it helps me a lot. It saves me time and helps to improve my academic performance.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, ShaniWills said:

It saves me time and helps to improve my academic performance destroy my analytical and memorization skills.

😛

Edited by Piney
  • Thanks 1

Education is a wonderful thing..but it seems like modern education is becoming more about learning to memorize things than to think about things?   ..but, I’m not well educated …so I think I could be wrong. :P

Posted (edited)

Edited by lightly