Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘They’re out of control’: flock of 100 feral chickens torments village

Kittens Are Jerks

‘They’re out of control’: flock of 100 feral chickens torments village

The clucking nuisance of about 100 feral chickens has left residents of a Norfolk village spitting feathers, with locals claiming the birds destroy their gardens and keep them awake. Dwellers in Snettisham, Norfolk, have said their life is being made “hell” as the chickens swarm in from a nearby wood. It is unclear who owns the land the chickens live on, but villagers believe numbers have soared recently.

They also complained of an influx of people travelling to see the birds and leaving food for them, which is attracting rats. This has created a febrile atmosphere, with reports of rising tensions between residents and visitors.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/26/out-of-control-flock-of-100-feral-chickens-torments-village-norfolk

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I've never heard chickens referred to as "feral" before.  At first glance it sounds comical but I had an uncle that used to raise them for Tyson and they can create one huge, nasty mess so I understand the anger.  The people feeding them should know better.  If the birds are coming off one particular property then that property owner should be found.  If they deny owning them, the community should have a fried chicken Sunday dinner ;) 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, and-then said:

I've never heard chickens referred to as "feral" before.  At first glance it sounds comical but I had an uncle that used to raise them for Tyson and they can create one huge, nasty mess so I understand the anger.  The people feeding them should know better.  If the birds are coming off one particular property then that property owner should be found.  If they deny owning them, the community should have a fried chicken Sunday dinner ;) 

Exactly what I thought! The community should get together and have a fried chicken night. Fun for all and problem solved. Doesn't even need to be fried - grilled on a BBQ or spit till the skin is crispy, sprinkled with oregano, salt and pepper, some French fries, local bar supply some beer, the whole community would come together, and the problem would be solved.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, and-then said:

Hum, I don't recall details but I had a kin who also raised chickens for Tyson, dad spoke of it a few times,

On 5/26/2024 at 9:08 PM, and-then said:

All joking aside, feeding wild or feral animals sounds like kindness, but it isn't. The animals come to depend on it and can become aggressive, and also become a danger or nuisance to humans. And the kind of stuff we give them, our junk food leftovers, is probably doing more harm than good.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 6:12 PM, pellinore said:

Exactly what I thought! The community should get together and have a fried chicken night. Fun for all and problem solved. Doesn't even need to be fried - grilled on a BBQ or spit till the skin is crispy, sprinkled with oregano, salt and pepper, some French fries, local bar supply some beer, the whole community would come together, and the problem would be solved.

Rosemary or lemon grass.....

Oregano only belongs on pizza. 

But I would hold a cookout and invite my entire tribe. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 6:13 PM, pellinore said:

All joking aside, feeding wild or feral animals sounds like kindness, but it isn't. The animals come to depend on it and can become aggressive, and also become a danger or nuisance to humans. And the kind of stuff we give them, our junk food leftovers, is probably doing more harm than good.

Exactly! 

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Rosemary or lemon grass.....

Oregano only belongs on pizza. 

But I would hold a cookout and invite my entire tribe. 

Have you tried oregano on chicken? I bought a spit roast chicken once in Athens years ago, the guy had sprinkled them with oregano, salt and black pepper and served them chopped in half with French fries. Superb! Next time you roast a chicken, Piney, shake some oregano over it. Oregano also brings out the flavour in slow roasted lamb leg, with a bit of garlic. 

(I shouldn't be writing this, I was walking my dog past a field of cows this morning, they were enjoying the day, sitting in the sun and relaxing, and I thought in less than a year they will face the horrors of an abattoir. I find it hard to resolve this conflict.)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Have you tried oregano on chicken? I bought a spit roast chicken once in Athens years ago, the guy had sprinkled them with oregano, salt and black pepper and served them chopped in half with French fries. Superb! Next time you roast a chicken, Piney, shake some oregano over it. Oregano also brings out the flavour in slow roasted lamb leg, with a bit of garlic. 

(I shouldn't be writing this, I was walking my dog past a field of cows this morning, they were enjoying the day, sitting in the sun and relaxing, and I thought in less than a year they will face the horrors of an abattoir. I find it hard to resolve this conflict.)

I only eat drumsticks,  usually cooked in my own chili or barbecue sauce but I'll try it with fresh oregano.

Dried is for pizza.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Piney said:

I only eat drumsticks,  usually cooked in my own chili or barbecue sauce but I'll try it with fresh oregano.

Dried is for pizza.

Drumsticks are the tougher brown meat. Cooked in sauce is good as it softens them. I like to eat drumsticks and wings with a hot sauce (like buffalo wings). Dried herbs are fine - but not to everyone's taste.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Drumsticks are the tougher brown meat. Cooked in sauce is good as it softens them. I like to eat drumsticks and wings with a hot sauce (like buffalo wings). Dried herbs are fine - but not to everyone's taste.

I grow my own herbs, but I have to go to a friend's mart to get fresh oregano. I'm not a fan of dried herbs. 

Drumsticks are only tough when they come from old hens. Mine come from young Amish roosters. I also cook then until they just about fall off the bone