Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd lights during Aurora Borealis

CuriosityThrives

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

On 10th May 2024 my husband and I were lucky to observe the aurora borealis in Northern Ireland. We were both stunned to view this spectacle from our home. Approximately one hour into watching this, we noted odd lights in the sky. At this stage we had already seen planes and I also had seen a shooting star. This was neither. Our initial thought was drones, but neither of us had ever seen such flying movements, nor was there any noise.

I attempted to record the lights and thought I had failed. When I looked through the footage later, intending to delete it, I noted some recording were okay, although the footage is not of great quality. The footage was recorded on a samsung se20 fe. I have recorded the audio for privacy reasons. We live in a village setting, some street light is nearby.

These videos were taken between 2343-2351hrs. The lights lasted about ten minutes.

Some of the lights change direction rapidly, seem to skip. Some appear to be of a triangle shape when zoomed in.

Is this an effect due to the aurea borealis? Electromagnetic discharge, etc? 

Let me know what you you think

Edited by CuriosityThrives
Upload failed
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forums. :)

Is it possible that someone on the ground was shining a light of some kind up at the sky ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Saru said:

Welcome to the forums. :)

Is it possible that someone on the ground was shining a light of some kind up at the sky ?

Hi, thank you 😊 I actually used to be a member near two decades ago, but lost my details a long time ago (avid reader, though).

There was absolutely no cloud cover here. Whilst my phone wasn't good enough (or maybe I should have selected night mode?) to record the aurora, it was super visible here. Though maybe someone will correct me (e.g. cloud cover at a higher level?).

Some of the movements also don't suggest lights to me - especially when zoomed in into video three, there appears to be a triangle shape of lights, which actually spins and turns the other way

Screenshot_20240528_224900_Video Player.jpg

• Like 4

In my case all I see is a black background and a spec of light here and there, I would guess there is no way anyone could 100% explain this unless they were the party responsible for it.

We have zero way to determine size or speed because there is no way to know how far it was from the camera it would be speculation and guessing.

I will say I have been a lifelong RV enthusiast and most of our night flights caused UFO reports, many RC craft have such flight characteristics, almost weekly driving to work on weekends I see night flights from an RV park and if a person wasn't thinking RC craft they very much might call them UFOs which by definition is correct.

An event like this aurora borealis, eclipses etc that have people looking at the sky are great time for pranksters to have fun or even just RC hobbyists showing off.

22 hours ago, the13bats said:

In my case all I see is a black background and a spec of light here and there, I would guess there is no way anyone could 100% explain this unless they were the party responsible for it.

We have zero way to determine size or speed because there is no way to know how far it was from the camera it would be speculation and guessing.

I will say I have been a lifelong RV enthusiast and most of our night flights caused UFO reports, many RC craft have such flight characteristics, almost weekly driving to work on weekends I see night flights from an RV park and if a person wasn't thinking RC craft they very much might call them UFOs which by definition is correct.

An event like this aurora borealis, eclipses etc that have people looking at the sky are great time for pranksters to have fun or even just RC hobbyists showing off.

Hi. I appreciate the video footage isn't of great quality (literally held a phone to the vast nightsky).

I have seen drone shows before, including at Disney. I know they can do a lot of fantastic stuff, but the change of direction, speed etc seemed impossible to me. Initially drones was my first thought, too.

I understand the scale / speed etc can be deceiving if there is nothing for comparison. The lights seemed really, really high. We were looking at the stars for comparison and fixed points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CuriosityThrives said:

Hi. I appreciate the video footage isn't of great quality (literally held a phone to the vast nightsky).

I have seen drone shows before, including at Disney. I know they can do a lot of fantastic stuff, but the change of direction, speed etc seemed impossible to me. Initially drones was my first thought, too.

I understand the scale / speed etc can be deceiving if there is nothing for comparison. The lights seemed really, really high. We were looking at the stars for comparison and fixed points.

I wasn't dissing your video quality simply pointing out it greatly limits what real evidence and information can be had from it.

The human mind simply can't gauge distance in a situation like your videos, I've been fooled myself.
I've seen countless tests prove it over and over, so that's a dead end with this one.

I respect that you haven't seen RC craft performance as you witnessed however I have, so what do you think you captured?

This aurora borealis was an event I'll go out on a limb and think you were not the only people watching the show, so in that others had to have seen the same lights you did, have you rooted around for any collaborative local reports or even done a net hunt for others who witnessed what you did? I would believe that to be a good thing to try.

16 hours ago, the13bats said:

I wasn't dissing your video quality simply pointing out it greatly limits what real evidence and information can be had from it.

The human mind simply can't gauge distance in a situation like your videos, I've been fooled myself.
I've seen countless tests prove it over and over, so that's a dead end with this one.

I respect that you haven't seen RC craft performance as you witnessed however I have, so what do you think you captured?

This aurora borealis was an event I'll go out on a limb and think you were not the only people watching the show, so in that others had to have seen the same lights you did, have you rooted around for any collaborative local reports or even done a net hunt for others who witnessed what you did? I would believe that to be a good thing to try.

Hi, I didn't think you were dissing the footage at all. I understand it's difficult to tell. To be honest, I have no idea what we saw. I even had myself convinced what we had seen wasn't as spectacular as it seemed to be, until I saw the movements on the footage. My mind hadn't exaggerated it. 

As to what it is, I have no idea. I thought it may be some sort of electromagnetic event, some natural phenomena. 

I haven't asked around locally. It's a rural area. It took me a fair amount of time to post this, and only with the audio removed, fearing some ridicule. I did show it to friends, but nobody else spotted it (they don't live close by). There was no mention of this on the local news.

Funnily enough, I also sent the footage to relations in Germany. One of them saw the exact same lights the next day. Again, they tried to google for an explanation but didn't come up with one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looked like insects. 

5 hours ago, CuriosityThrives said:

Hi, I didn't think you were dissing the footage at all. I understand it's difficult to tell. To be honest, I have no idea what we saw. I even had myself convinced what we had seen wasn't as spectacular as it seemed to be, until I saw the movements on the footage. My mind hadn't exaggerated it. 

As to what it is, I have no idea. I thought it may be some sort of electromagnetic event, some natural phenomena. 

I haven't asked around locally. It's a rural area. It took me a fair amount of time to post this, and only with the audio removed, fearing some ridicule. I did show it to friends, but nobody else spotted it (they don't live close by). There was no mention of this on the local news.

Funnily enough, I also sent the footage to relations in Germany. One of them saw the exact same lights the next day. Again, they tried to google for an explanation but didn't come up with one.

Sounds like a fun experience and with my OCD it would drive me batty, try not to worry about ridicule I'm a huge skeptic debunker and you won't get any from me, you saw something and you aren't knee jerking to what it must be you just want to know what the devil it was, so do I.

When we did RC night flights it was out in the country the largest of the craft where perhaps six foot and this was before LEDs were booming so our craft wouldn't be seen very far yet we still most nights generated UFO reports and interesting was some were very exaggerated but no doubt it was us,

While what I could make out in your videos does fit with modern RC craft I won't say that's what it was just yet, I believe we can rule out silly stuff like fireworks, bugs, birds or balloons and it wasn't Jupiter or swamp gas ( forum believer joke )

For now it's unexplained.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 6:16 PM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Looked like insects. 

Hi. I had considered that option even at the time. And even when I had hoped to see the aurea for a second night. Where the lights were, it's not insects. Some of the footage looks like a similar flight pattern, but then they are too quick, change direction, etc

On 5/30/2024 at 10:48 PM, the13bats said:

Sounds like a fun experience and with my OCD it would drive me batty, try not to worry about ridicule I'm a huge skeptic debunker and you won't get any from me, you saw something and you aren't knee jerking to what it must be you just want to know what the devil it was, so do I.

When we did RC night flights it was out in the country the largest of the craft where perhaps six foot and this was before LEDs were booming so our craft wouldn't be seen very far yet we still most nights generated UFO reports and interesting was some were very exaggerated but no doubt it was us,

While what I could make out in your videos does fit with modern RC craft I won't say that's what it was just yet, I believe we can rule out silly stuff like fireworks, bugs, birds or balloons and it wasn't Jupiter or swamp gas ( forum believer joke )

For now it's unexplained.

Oh wow, six feet RCs. I still don't think the speed, 'jumping', change of direction would be explained with that. But I can't say for sure it's not RCs with light effects, etc. I personally don't think that's the answer. 

I would also like to point out both my husband and I are used to looking at the sky at night and were watching the aurora for around an hour in awe before we saw these lights. We certainly had not expected to see anything we couldn't explain.

I am kinds still hoping for some astronomy enthusiast to explain this to me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CuriosityThrives said:

Oh wow, six feet RCs. I still don't think the speed, 'jumping', change of direction would be explained with that. But I can't say for sure it's not RCs with light effects, etc. I personally don't think that's the answer. 

I would also like to point out both my husband and I are used to looking at the sky at night and were watching the aurora for around an hour in awe before we saw these lights. We certainly had not expected to see anything we couldn't explain.

I am kinds still hoping for some astronomy enthusiast to explain this to me.

In your case with the limited info I have from your videos I sure am not saying RC craft case closed, I'm trying to make the point RC craft especially modern stuff can look just like at least your videos, believe what you filmed is earthly, not paranormal or supernatural and my gut feeling is you saw it and it was out because of natures light show going on at the time, I never say a case is solved unless im 100% sure i no issues saying unexplained but I do have issues when believers take that and jump from unknown so it must me, xxxxx.

A six foot RC is large but average. I'm not taking toys but rather hobby grade stuff,
And now they are so many quad copter type things that have insane flight capabilities,

Edited by the13bats