Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Wolf You Feed

MrsGently

14 hours ago, MrsGently said:

There is a Cherokee Legend about Two Wolves

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me.” He said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

I love this, as a legend it doesn't  get much better than this, right? Short, easy to remember, everything important is in it and it is one of those rare things I consider Truth™. The difficulty we face first is that it requires a perpetual process of observing and honestly evaluating our thoughts. Let's examine this on a hypothetical:

I am walking through the park and see someone walking past me, who is better dressed, prettier, fitter, nicer hair, some of those things, or all of them... What is the first thing I do if I am per se not attracted and maybe am struggling with certain problems, like health or feeling down due to a disappointment... some small or big thing that creates the 'glasses' through which I see this person. It is a decision we have to make when we notice we react with envy or inventing falsehoods internally to make us feel superior, we are feeding the wolf most people I believe would not want to feed, it just happens sometimes.

It is sort of a self-training that goes into learning how to appreciate and 'allow' others to be also kind of cute so to speak, instead of what we are more or less 'trained' to do in our society: to get competitive. Create theoretical hierarchies and rankings or whathaveyou that have simply no basis in reality.

Joy and beauty are born in generosity. Sorrow and anger are born in envy. Alas we invent and spread these mind-sets ourself. All is perspective and perception. And being kind to ourself allows us to be kind to others.

It is an interesting perspective.

Here’s another: 

A Zen master sat with his student under the ancient tree, imparting timeless wisdom about the nature of inner conflict. "Within each of us," the master began, "there resides a great battle between different aspects of our being. One epitomizes qualities like anger, envy, and sorrow, while the other radiates joy, peace, and love. This struggle is a fundamental part of the human experience."

Blown away by the master's words, the student humbly asked, "Master, which aspect shall emerge victorious in the end?"

The master, very calm and composed, replied, "The aspect(s)that you choose to embrace and cultivate within yourself. Remember, in the practice of Zen, one can learn to harness both positive and negative qualities simultaneously without clinging to a binary way of thinking."

One can use the power of choice and mindfulness in navigating the complexities of  subjectivity at the same time capable of transcending dualistic views to find harmony within ourselves, no matter the circumstance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Saru said:

Thread cleaned

@MrsGently - enough with the hostilities please.

I would like to point out that I am never the one who is starting it. And personally I think if I block someone they should not be able to quote me, or mention me. Which is what this one person repeatedly does, misrepresenting what I say. I am sorry but if he does it again, I will again respond with 'hostility'. Because I am trying to ignore him, he doesn't let me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, MrsGently said:

I would like to point out that I am never the one who is starting it. And personally I think if I block someone they should not be able to quote me, or mention me. Which is what this one person repeatedly does, misrepresenting what I say. I am sorry but if he does it again, I will again respond with 'hostility'. Because I am trying to ignore him, he doesn't let me.

What you should do in that case is report the post to the moderators and refuse to engage - if you respond in kind then you will only escalate and make things worse.

• Thanks 5

Thread cleaned and closed for moderator review.

• Thanks 2

• The topic was locked