Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Daughter going to Texas for a vacation next week ?

docyabut2

40 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c6pp83514w2o

I m warning  her about  a alligator could kill her and or the tornados or. the scorpions and the rattle snakes   :(

Don’t forget Bigfoot, chupucabras, skin walkers, Slenderman, and aliens.

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

Hell idiots on the roadway is always ones biggest danger on a road trip.

• Like 7

Docuy, Texas is as safe as anywhere else in America. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

And armadillos with leprosy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I m warning  her about  a alligator could kill her and or the tornados or. the scorpions and the rattle snakes   :(

If she doesn't go swimming in a lake...no alligator worries.   Very few people get killed by tornados.  I haven't seen a scorpion since I was a kid.  I've never seen a rattlesnake.  Where is she going in Texas?  I live in the Dallas area.

• Like 4

It's hot. And she might need ear protection from the cicadas. Lol. 

Other than that, she'll be fine.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, joc said:

If she doesn't go swimming in a lake...no alligator worries.   Very few people get killed by tornados.  I haven't seen a scorpion since I was a kid.  I've never seen a rattlesnake.  Where is she going in Texas?  I live in the Dallas area.

I saw a big mass of mating moccasins in a lake near Wagner. Wouldn't want to swim into that. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

I saw a big mass of mating moccasins in a lake near Wagner. Wouldn't want to swim into that. 

Wagner is in East Texas...lots of moccasins in East Texas...there's a hell of a lot more moccasins in Texas than there are rattlesnakes.  And moccasins will chase you.  And they'll swarm you in a lake.  I grew up in East Texas and learned how to swim in a lake.  But I wouldn't stick my big toe in a lake anymore. When I lived in McKinney, a fisherman caught an 8' alligator in Town Lake.  That lake has a walking path around it that is 1.25 miles.  Really a giant pond more than a lake. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, joc said:

Wagner is in East Texas...lots of moccasins in East Texas...there's a hell of a lot more moccasins in Texas than there are rattlesnakes.  And moccasins will chase you.  And they'll swarm you in a lake.  I grew up in East Texas and learned how to swim in a lake.  But I wouldn't stick my big toe in a lake anymore. When I lived in McKinney, a fisherman caught an 8' alligator in Town Lake.  That lake has a walking path around it that is 1.25 miles.  Really a giant pond more than a lake. 

I know they will chase and swarm you. I lucked out on a night walk down a stream and came face to face with a big one. Luckily he was in the process of trying to swallow a big chain pickerel and had been occupied.

Edited by Piney
brain fart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Piney said:

I saw a big mass of mating moccasins 

I've seen that before as well, talk about ****ing creepy!...

Hell it's copperhead season around here, seen one on the side of the road big and round as my arm... they're everywhere this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

Hell it's copperhead season around here, seen one on the side of the road big and round as my arm... they're everywhere this year.

It looks like a giant swirling mass right out of a horror movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I know they will chase a swarm you. I lucked out on a night walk down a stream and came face to face with a big one. Luckily he was in the process of trying to swallow a big chain pickerel and had been occupied.

You could have been like that guy in Lonesome Dove crossing the river...

There was a cow pond in the pasture behind my house growing up...I almost stepped on a huge moccasin.  They finally poisoned the pond and there were 100s of monster mocs floating dead.  I'm talking like 5 or 6 feet long and as big as my wrist!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

It looks like a giant swirling mass right out of a horror movie.

Virtually every lake in Texas has moccasins...the Rattlesnakes are typically in Central and West Texas...they like it drier than not and cooler than hot.  Down Austin way and out into the Hill Country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

You could have been like that guy in Lonesome Dove crossing the river...

There was a cow pond in the pasture behind my house growing up...I almost stepped on a huge moccasin.  They finally poisoned the pond and there were 100s of monster mocs floating dead.  I'm talking like 5 or 6 feet long and as big as my wrist!  

Lonesome Dove....I haven't seen that in ages. Great show!

My "Uncle" Leon, who worked for King Ranch was somehow involved in the production but I can't remember if he was a wrangler or provided some of the stock since all he bred was 3 Bars quarters and Tennessee walkers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Virtually every lake in Texas has moccasins...the Rattlesnakes are typically in Central and West Texas...they like it drier than not and cooler than hot.  Down Austin way and out into the Hill Country.

They're here to. But rare.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

When I was a kid, I coaxed a snake into a mason jar.  I wondered if it was a water moccasin...I figured I'd find out...so I poured it into a sink full of water.  It came right up on the edge of the sink standing up on it's tail about 6 inches from my face.  I just put the mason jar over his head and he went right back in.  Next day in Science Class (7th grade) my teacher told us it was a copperhead.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Lonesome Dove....I haven't seen that in ages. Great show!

My "Uncle" Leon, who worked for King Ranch was somehow involved in the production but I can't remember if he was a wrangler or provided some of the stock since all he bred was 3 Bars quarters and Tennessee walkers. 

Yeah I haven't seen Lonesome Dove in a long, long time.  But I remember that scene vividly.  That and the 'you wanna poke' scene.:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Yeah I haven't seen Lonesome Dove in a long, long time.  But I remember that scene vividly.  That and the 'you wanna poke' scene.:D

Google "Leon Manchester race car driver 3 Wides Picture Vault" and read his bio.

He was a interesting character in the racing and cowboy world and had some killer 3 Bars horses. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Don't worry, Docy. She's a big girl and she's not going to Australia, ok?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, joc said:

When I was a kid, I coaxed a snake into a mason jar.  I wondered if it was a water moccasin...I figured I'd find out...so I poured it into a sink full of water.  It came right up on the edge of the sink standing up on it's tail about 6 inches from my face.  I just put the mason jar over his head and he went right back in.  Next day in Science Class (7th grade) my teacher told us it was a copperhead.  

You were a lucky kid,they are a temperamental bunch as well...

Had a small foot long one about 6 weeks back rare up when I was cutting grass,I turned the mower toward it,and the little b*****d lunged right in head first lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Hell idiots on the roadway is always ones biggest danger on a road trip.

Yep, that will surely make Docy feel more at ease...

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

Google "Leon Manchester race car driver 3 Wides Picture Vault" and read his bio.

He was a interesting character in the racing and cowboy world and had some killer 3 Bars horses. 

Cowtown Cowboy from Paulsboro NJ !!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, joc said:

Cowtown Cowboy from Paulsboro NJ !!! 

Right next door to Mickleton.

What they missed in the bio though is that his company subbed for Haliburton clearing landing strips during Vietnam. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Piney said:

Right next door to Mickleton.

What they missed in the bio though is that his company subbed for Haliburton clearing landing strips during Vietnam. 

I noticed on the side of several of his cars Manchester welding. I bet that guy had all kinds of stuff going on. If he could make a buck on it he did it! Is that halfway correct? I didn't see any horses though and I looked for some. I'd like to see some of his 3 bars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1