Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists may finally know why orcas keep ramming into boats

UM-Bot

It's like a TikTok Challenge but for orcas lol. I have to admit, the explanation, whilst it makes sense, surprised me.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a simple case of the boats are interrupting the whales hunting .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diddyman68 said:

Maybe it's a simple case of the boats are interrupting the whales hunting .

I read that the particular tuna they like to go after are plentiful now and that has resulted in time to play. 

It's just that when they play, they sink boats. 

• Like 3

Sinky, but mostly-peaceful maritime conditions.

• Like 1

Experts believe that this behavior may have started with an adult female named White Gladis who survived some sort of traumatic event such as being injured by a collision with a boat.

Younger orcas then started to copy her and the trend spread among the population.

:huh: That explanation is so extravagant it almost resembles another one that I heard about someone that died 2000 years ago to save me from my sins.

1 hour ago, Black Red Devil said:

Experts believe that this behavior may have started with an adult female named White Gladis who survived some sort of traumatic event such as being injured by a collision with a boat.

Younger orcas then started to copy her and the trend spread among the population.

:huh: That explanation is so extravagant it almost resembles another one that I heard about someone that died 2000 years ago to save me from my sins.

This explanation was already suggested months ago, so I don't know what the 'news' actually is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Each orca group has it's own "culture" which consists of "learned behaviors" so that explanation isn't beyond reason.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

OSOD Syndrome!

Orca see, Orca do...

Or, more likely, White Gladys was injured while attacking a boat.  And the reason they might attack boats is because they see them as invaders of their territory.

I think the idea of Orcas spreading revenge payback is a bit much.  The male lion will kill Cheetah cubs. That is part of it's instinctual DNA makeup.  DNA memory isn't created over a few generations.

2 hours ago, joc said:

OSOD Syndrome!

Orca see, Orca do...

Or, more likely, White Gladys was injured while attacking a boat.  And the reason they might attack boats is because they see them as invaders of their territory.

I think the idea of Orcas spreading revenge payback is a bit much.  The male lion will kill Cheetah cubs. That is part of it's instinctual DNA makeup.  DNA memory isn't created over a few generations.

Orcas are as intelligent and evolved as humans. Well, that's what I think. Their brains are massive, and their behaviour should tell us these creatures are equal to us. But they live and evolved in a different environment. An environment that's not ours.

---

And one orca acting out of revenge, and other orcas taking over that behaviour is too human for many humans to swallow.

We humans are an arrogant lot: as soon as an animal responds or acts in a way we humans tend to respond/act, scientists never fail to say 'it must be instinct.'

Orcas keep pets, really. Young finwhales that is. Adult finwhales are their preferred prey. It must be instinct, right? But when yòu have a pet, what's it called then?

I have posted this several times on UM:  Ì think animal behaviour science is greatly influenced by religion. We were supposed to be the caretakers of this planet, according to our 'Gawd'. We were supposed to be superior to these animals.

But as soon as someone says some animal behaviour is just like human behaviour, scientists step in to tell us we should not "anthropomorphize".

Yes, we humans dominate this planet right now.

But we're still nothing but animals, with the same urges and instincts like most other animals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Orcas are as intelligent and evolved as humans. Well, that's what I think. Their brains are massive, and their behaviour should tell us these creatures are equal to us. But they live and evolved in a different environment. An environment that's not ours.

---

And one orca acting out of revenge, and other orcas taking over that behaviour is too human for many humans to swallow.

We humans are an arrogant lot: as soon as an animal responds or acts in a way we humans tend to respond/act, scientists never fail to say 'it must be instinct.'

Orcas keep pets, really. Young finwhales that is. Adult finwhales are their preferred prey. It must be instinct, right? But when yòu have a pet, what's it called then?

I have posted this several times on UM:  Ì think animal behaviour science is greatly influenced by religion. We were supposed to be the caretakers of this planet, according to our 'Gawd'. We were supposed to be superior to these animals.

But as soon as someone says some animal behaviour is just like human behaviour, scientists step in to tell us we should not "anthropomorphize".

Yes, we humans dominate this planet right now.

But we're still nothing but animals, with the same urges and instincts like most other animals.

We do dominate the planet right now.  And we are superior to the orcas and every other animal on the planet by virtue of the highly evolved neo-cortex.    I don't know what Orcas think or if they think.  I am fairly confident however that the highly advanced thought process machine that is the human brain is far superior to that of an Orca. 

We are human, not animal, and we still have the same primitive brain.  But I am willing to bet that the Orca brain, while far more advanced than that of a Tuna doesn't even make it anywhere close to the sophistication and cunning of the human brain.   We are talking about brain activity as it relates to knowledge.  We know far more about the Ocean that Orcas do.  On the other hand Orcas know absolutely nothing about outer space or dry land.  And yet we know pretty much everything about pretty much everything.  Not that we know everything, it's a large universe.  

What Orcas do is hunt in the sea.  If you are a boat, the Orca doesn't know even know what a boat is, much less that people on the boat should be attacked.  They attack the boat because they recognize it as a threat.  Maybe as a meal.  Like the Shake it again cartoon with Lions or whatever shaking a tree full of humans...we have company coming over, give it a couple of more shakes!  Hey Bob, look, a boat...and they swim toward the boat yelling h u u u u m a n s...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

We do dominate the planet right now.  And we are superior to the orcas and every other animal on the planet by virtue of the highly evolved neo-cortex.    I don't know what Orcas think or if they think.  I am fairly confident however that the highly advanced thought process machine that is the human brain is far superior to that of an Orca. 

We are human, not animal, and we still have the same primitive brain.  But I am willing to bet that the Orca brain, while far more advanced than that of a Tuna doesn't even make it anywhere close to the sophistication and cunning of the human brain.   We are talking about brain activity as it relates to knowledge.  We know far more about the Ocean that Orcas do.  On the other hand Orcas know absolutely nothing about outer space or dry land.  And yet we know pretty much everything about pretty much everything.  Not that we know everything, it's a large universe.  

What Orcas do is hunt in the sea.  If you are a boat, the Orca doesn't know even know what a boat is, much less that people on the boat should be attacked.  They attack the boat because they recognize it as a threat.  Maybe as a meal.  Like the Shake it again cartoon with Lions or whatever shaking a tree full of humans...we have company coming over, give it a couple of more shakes!  Hey Bob, look, a boat...and they swim toward the boat yelling h u u u u m a n s...

All of what you posted are 100% assumptions.

You don't know. Not really.

Just because an animal doesn't dominate this rock like we do, doesn't mean they are not equal to us concerning intelligence or emotions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

All of what you posted are 100% assumptions.

You don't know. Not really.

Just because an animal doesn't dominate this rock like we do, doesn't mean they are not equal to us concerning intelligence or emotions.

noun: intelligence
  1. 1.
    the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

So please extrapolate on your statement below...
    38 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Orcas are as intelligent and evolved as humans.

What knowledge and skills do Orcas possess that in anyway, shape, form or fashion could be considered equal with humans?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, joc said:

OSOD Syndrome!

Orca see, Orca do...

Yeah, fair enough.  I probably didn't thoroughly read the article and assumed they were talking about some orca from the past that initiated a trend around the world.  I thought I read in the past of random attacks on boats but it appears from the article the trend is only limited to a recent event and only near the Gibraltar Strait probably because they see the propellers as a danger for their calfs or for whatever other reason. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, joc said:
  1. 1.

What knowledge and skills do Orcas possess that in anyway, shape, form or fashion could be considered equal with humans?  

We are animals in a lot of our behaviours, but I think the difference is cogito, ergo sum, (I think, therefore I am). I could be wrong but I highly doubt animals rationalise the meaning of their existence or pushing this even further, what is reality, what is the universe and what we're doing in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Abramelin said:

This explanation was already suggested months ago, so I don't know what the 'news' actually is.

Sorry mate, I wasn't up to date with the latest news on orcas.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, joc said:
  1. 1.

Let me tell you something else.

Many millions of years ago dinosaurs dominated the earth.

Mammals were present at that time, ànd smart enough to escape these dinosaurs. Or else we wouldn't be here discussing about it.

Then, 66 million years ago, and asteroid hit our planet, and killed off the dinosaurs.

Mammals survived, apparently. And within a couple of million of years dominated Earth.

These mammals were intelligent enough to escape their predators, and survive the Chixculub event.

----

And to answer your question:

Orcas invent new ways of hunting.

Orcas transfer this knowledge to their tribe/pod.

They keep pets.

They have a 'language' that differs from place to place.

They dominate the oceans, kill and eat white sharks, kill large whales.

Despite their attacks on boats, they don't kill divers, or people swimming in the sea in general. Why? Now thàt would be a good question.

They could kill divers in an instant, but they don't. Why not?

Are they stupid animals acting on instinct?

From what I have watched and read about orcas throughout many years,  I think we should feel lucky they are not animals living on dry land.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Let me tell you something else.

Many millions of years ago dinosaurs dominated the earth.

Mammals were present at that time, ànd smart enough to escape these dinosaurs. Or else we wouldn't be here discussing about it.

Then, 66 million years ago, and asteroid hit our planet, and killed off the dinosaurs.

Mammals survived, apparently. And within a couple of million of years dominated Earth.

These mammals were intelligent enough to escape their predators, and survive the Chixculub event.

----

And to answer your question:

Orcas invent new ways of hunting.

Orcas transfer this knowledge to their tribe/pod.

They keep pets.

They have a 'language' that differs from place to place.

They dominate the oceans, kill and eat white sharks, kill large whales.

Despite their attacks on boats, they don't kill divers, or people swimming in the sea in general. Why? Now thàt would be a good question.

They could kill divers in an instant, but they don't. Why not?

Are they stupid animals acting on instinct?

From what I have watched and read about orcas throughout many years,  I think we should feel lucky they are not animals living on dry land.

I get all of that and I don't have a problem with any of it. The only problem I had really with what you said was that orcas are as intelligent as humans. I beg to differ. I'm not in any way saying that Orcas are not intelligent ...dolphins are also intelligent.  I think there is a level of intelligence in all living creatures. None of which surpass or come in any way shape or form close to the intelligence of humans. That's why we rule the planet. Because we have a superior intelligence. That's all I'm saying. Flash Forward several million years, perhaps orcas will live on the land and perhaps rule the planet. Who knows? Right now they don't rule the planet we do. And I just don't think their level of intelligence rises to that of the human being.

• Like 2

I wonder if it could be something like electronic NOISE from.. communication, navigation, or other devices …Bothers them.  ?just a thought.         …   As for intelligence.. I’d guess there’s more than our way  to measure, or apply it?    I’d be curious as to how orcas, or any other animal, EXPERIENCES reality.  They might have experiences and interactions with each other, and the environment,  that we can’t begin to imagine.    ??

20 hours ago, joc said:

I get all of that and I don't have a problem with any of it. The only problem I had really with what you said was that orcas are as intelligent as humans. I beg to differ. I'm not in any way saying that Orcas are not intelligent ...dolphins are also intelligent.  I think there is a level of intelligence in all living creatures. None of which surpass or come in any way shape or form close to the intelligence of humans. That's why we rule the planet. Because we have a superior intelligence. That's all I'm saying. Flash Forward several million years, perhaps orcas will live on the land and perhaps rule the planet. Who knows? Right now they don't rule the planet we do. And I just don't think their level of intelligence rises to that of the human being.

Joc, you may not believe me, but I dò respect your opinion.

But I have heard that all before, a zillion times.

Yes, we humans dominate this planet. And why? Because we are the most intelligent being on this rock?

No. It's because we want to dominate this planet. We want to rule.

Orcas have brains of a size it should scare us. Their neocortex is as at least as large as ours. And, btw., they belong to the same family as dolphins, just larger.

But, apparently they don't have the urge to dominate their environment, like we do, and just thàt makes us feel superior to OTHER ANIMALS.

Yes Joc, we are animals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Joc, you may not believe me, but I dò respect your opinion.

But I have heard that all before, a zillion times.

Yes, we humans dominate this planet. And why? Because we are the most intelligent being on this rock?

No. It's because we want to dominate this planet. We want to rule.

Orcas have brains of a size it should scare us. Their neocortex is as at least as large as ours. And, btw., they belong to the same family as dolphins, just larger.

But, apparently they don't have the urge to dominate their environment, like we do, and just thàt makes us feel superior to OTHER ANIMALS.

Yes Joc, we are animals.

Yes we. are animals and we all share a primitive brain.  

I respect your opinion as well.  But size of neocortex doesn't matter that much as far as intelligence goes.

Orca intelligence:

Human intelligence:

On 6/6/2024 at 7:22 AM, joc said:

None of which surpass or come in any way shape or form close to the intelligence of humans. That's why we rule the planet. Because we have a superior intelligence.

We might have a highly developed brain but we are among the stupidest creatures on the planet, we are destroying our environment, it's all we have to be able to survive and that's very dumb. I suppose we could populate another planet then destroy that too. Superior intelligence, lol.

• Thanks 1

The Orca has had enough of us ****ting in it's backyard, that's all.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 12:44 AM, joc said:

DNA memory isn't created over a few generations.

It is, having bred and worked hunting dogs, the pups from even two gens of workers are far superior hunters than show bred dogs of the same breed. Proof is in the pudding.