Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reverse Speech / David John Oates, Is It Real?

Shuffletracker

Posted (edited)

A long time ago listening to the Art Bell Coast to Coast radio show, he had on a guy by the name of David John Oates.

And what he would do is record their regular and normal speech, then play it back in reverse and the person appeared to say something different or in other words the REAL intention of the words spoken. Sounds crazy at first but seems to make some sense.

I tried looking for his examples of reverse speech of famous people, but I couldn't find any examples to post here (maybe one of you folks can find it).

If his theory is true...people couldn't lie anymore. If not, this is a very clever fraud. I am not really sure what to believe.

Mod ~ I wasn't sure where to put this. Please move if in the wrong spot.

Thoughts and opinions.

Reverse Speech: Hidden Messages in Human Communication: Oates, David John: 9780941705189: Amazon.com: Books

Edited by Shuffletracker
add text
  • Like 2

Hmm, I listened to a couple of them and I'm not impressed. I don't think there's anything in it.

What do you think about it Shuffletracker?

• Like 2

I don't know...

I am listening to some of his reversals now.

It requires a degree of “priming” of the audience to work, for example I’ve heard backmasked Obama speeches where the person presenting them goes “and here you’ll hear him say “I serve Satan” and out of the gibberish, because you’re listening for “I serve Satan” you sort of hear it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shuffletracker said:

A long time ago listening to the Art Bell Coast to Coast radio show, he had on a guy by the name of David John Oates.

And what he would do is record their regular and normal speech, then play it back in reverse and the person appeared to say something different or in other words the REAL intention of the words spoken. Sounds crazy at first but seems to make some sense.

I tried looking for his examples of reverse speech of famous people, but I couldn't find any examples to post here (maybe one of you folks can find it).

If his theory is true...people couldn't lie anymore. If not, this is a very clever fraud. I am not really sure what to believe.

Mod ~ I wasn't sure where to put this. Please move if in the wrong spot.

Thoughts and opinions.

Reverse Speech: Hidden Messages in Human Communication: Oates, David John: 9780941705189: Amazon.com: Books

There's a Rationalwiki entry on reverse speech that can tell you all you need to know about Oates and his scam. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

There's a Rationalwiki entry on reverse speech that can tell you all you need to know about Oates and his scam. 

Ok, I will look it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shuffletracker said:

Ok, I will look it up.

He also wrote a ridiculous car crash of a book 'The Great Spiritual Darkness' and "bought" himself a Lakota name. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The gibberish may sort of sound like something of a phrase or sentence in English, coming from the subconscious. But what is supposedly being said makes no sense at all compared to what is being normally spoken.

Almost all his reversals that I listened to yesterday are like that.

I am afraid I am going to have to give Oates "theory" two thumbs down.

ST

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve listened to Led Zeppelin backwards and heard messages.  It seems I remember hearing someone say that Jimmy Page was doing it intentionally, and they had a way to tamper with it somehow.  

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

I’ve listened to Led Zeppelin backwards and heard messages.  It seems I remember hearing someone say that Jimmy Page was doing it intentionally, and they had a way to tamper with it somehow.  

Backmasking. Robert Plant actually denied it.

The Wikipedia article on it explains how the rumour started via the Satanic Panic. They even acused ELO, the Eagles and Jefferson Starship of putting Satanic messages on their albums. 😆

• Thanks 2

The Rationalwiki on "reverse speech" https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Reverse_speech

Basically, it's the auditory version of "pareidolia."

There is no reason for someone to use "reverse speech" -- it makes no sense for an audience to wade through minutes or hours of mush to find a few "items" that are significant.  And if you're going to be an Evil Overlord, what's the point in announcing for anyone to find "I am an evil overlord?"  They do it in comic books, sure... but in real life it doesn't score any bonus points.

And if you listen long enough, you can probably come up with reverse "sentences" that contradict the other "reverse messages" within the same speech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Piney said:

He also wrote a ridiculous car crash of a book 'The Great Spiritual Darkness' and "bought" himself a Lakota name. 

Double "ick" there -- particularly on "buying" a name.  I wonder if he's recognized by the tribe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Double "ick" there -- particularly on "buying" a name.  I wonder if he's recognized by the tribe.

Nope. The Lakota don't adopt. Not even if it's a spouse or stepchild. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

Nope. The Lakota don't adopt. Not even if it's a spouse or stepchild. 

That's kind of what I thought.  So... one of those plastic shamans handing out names, I suppose?

Feh.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

The gibberish may sort of sound like something of a phrase or sentence in English, coming from the subconscious. But what is supposedly being said makes no sense at all compared to what is being normally spoken.

Almost all his reversals that I listened to yesterday are like that.

I am afraid I am going to have to give Oates "theory" two thumbs down.

ST

It's no different than EVP's. The brain needs to makes sense of chaos. So people "hear" the familiar in things like white noise and gibberish. Plus primming plays a part at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A thought that occurred to me as I was doing my Spanish lessons tonight... the "back masking" (as we used to call it) would be further compounded/confounded by accents.  "De nada" (said in my Texas drawl) sounds a lot different than "de nada" said in Proper Queen's English and both those sound very different than "de nada" said in a Barcelonian accent and entirely different from the way a native speaker of the Tlingit language pronounce it -- even if all of them were using the same language program that I'm using.

Etcetera.

Talk about a VERY unreliable method of communication!

• Thanks 2