Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Timelessness/eternity

anonymousX

Early this morning, after I had been up for awhile, I settled down into some state of consciousness which was not sleep/dreaming but rather different from ordinary waking awareness.

In it, every moment of time- what we would call past,present,future - was all the same in an extended "now". In which I could not only know each moment, but also act. And not just my own subjective timeline, the objective  timeline of the world was included equally.

And I perceived that what kept my normal consciousness perceiving time in a subjective linear fashion was my own automatic focus of experiencing it that way.

After this state of consciousness passed, I tried to plan the words to describe it.

"timelessness" came to mind, but looking up it's definition, it means when past and future are subtracted leaving only the present. Not the same thing.

Perhaps "eternity"?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think the correct word is 'imagination'.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

I think the correct word is 'imagination'.  

Or maybe day dreaming ….

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

Perhaps "eternity"?

Perhaps "mystical"?

You might want to read up on the internet on the types of mystical experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

Early this morning, after I had been up for awhile, I settled down into some state of consciousness which was not sleep/dreaming but rather different from ordinary waking awareness.

In it, every moment of time- what we would call past,present,future - was all the same in an extended "now". In which I could not only know each moment, but also act. And not just my own subjective timeline, the objective  timeline of the world was included equally.

And I perceived that what kept my normal consciousness perceiving time in a subjective linear fashion was my own automatic focus of experiencing it that way.
After this state of consciousness passed, I tried to plan the words to describe it.

"timelessness" came to mind, but looking up it's definition, it means when past and future are subtracted leaving only the present. Not the same thing.

Perhaps "eternity"?

Yeah, we all get that sometimes after REM sleep.  It is associated with the brain failing to reboot consciousness with an adequate dose of adrenaline.  During this stage of liminal consciousness the brain behaves as if it is somewhere between dreaming and a waking state, where odd things from dreams superimpose themselves on consciousness and seem real.  It is triggering similar brain chemistry to that activated by certain illegal drugs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mw.decavia said:

Different how?  Sounds like you were just sleepy.

In it, every moment of time- what we would call past,present,future - was all the same in an extended "now".

So how does the earth end?  What was it like walking with dinosaurs..?  I presume that's now what you meant, so define the end points and startpoints and how they were all squashed together.

In which I could not only know each moment, but also act.

Examples of 'knowing'?  What were your actions?  How did they relate to the passage of time?

And not just my own subjective timeline, the objective  timeline of the world was included equally.

I'm sorry but this is just a pile of confusing words - how did you measure the effect objectively.  Seems to me that time is always subjective, it races or slows down drmatically for me, but for what might be termed the 'obvious' reasons.  Like boredom to slow it or enjoying something too much to speed it up...  :D 

Again, I just don't get it.

You might need to go back to the drawing board - suggestions above.

How 'not'?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Shadowsfall said:

Or maybe day dreaming ….

A song I wrote years ago:

https://on.soundcloud.com/9yrbk

• Sad 1

Interesting. Yes, people who have had near-death experiences also report that they have been in a place "beyond time and space", a place where time doesn't exist, and that they can't explain what it is like. This also makes me think of a synonym for dying that we have in Swedish, which is "gå ur tiden", meaning "go out of time", i.e. leaving time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I call it the grey zone.

There is only the present.  Even our word for the present, a moment is a form of fiction created by our memory of change.  We divide our memory of the present into 'events' and think of them as seperate moments... but the sectioning of these memories into 'moments' is completely arbitrary.  Reality is one unfolding interconnected process.

There is no past or future.  The past is always remembered in the present.  The future is only fantasized about and imagined in the present.

There is no time, there is only the perpetual unfolding of now.  Our function of memory of change gives rise to the illusion of time through the way we process our thoughts about it.

You can expand your experience of this grey zone and abide in it.  This process lies at the heart of many established lineages of meditation and awakening from the dream of life, into reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

Reality is one unfolding interconnected process.

:nw:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yup, great way of expressing it @quiXilver.      I like this too!   “There is only the present.  Even our word for the present, a moment is a form of fiction created by our memory of change.”        … I like how how the words moment and, momentum, and movement?  ..are so similar.    And they all represent ..change.   ?     Change is measured by motion? ..  motion is measured by time.?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yea, that's a strong insight @lightly.  Well said.  I really appreciate your manner of speaking and sharing insights.  Glad you share here!

Moment, momentum, movement, they all involve shift and change and our memory of change is what gives rise to our notion of time passing.  We remember being in our house in the morning, then driving to work and we process that as time flowing.   When for me, of late, it's the unfolding of the ever shifting now that my mind has to interpret at time flowing in order to reconcile the changes in a way that makes some easy kind of sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Yea, that's a strong insight @lightly.  Well said.  I really appreciate your manner of speaking and sharing insights.  Glad you share here!

Moment, momentum, movement, they all involve shift and change and our memory of change is what gives rise to our notion of time passing.  We remember being in our house in the morning, then driving to work and we process that as time flowing.   When for me, of late, it's the unfolding of the ever shifting now that my mind has to interpret at time flowing in order to reconcile the changes in a way that makes some easy kind of sense.

It's kind of like Now is an Ocean and, at the same time, the ship that is moving through the ocean.  There is no 'moment', because there isn't anything in the universe that ever stops.  No Static Moment. Only the moving of the ship through the ocean.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, joc said:

A song I wrote years ago:

https://on.soundcloud.com/9yrbk

What you trying to sell me Joc…😉😆…..I take it your song is somewhere on the app….👨‍🎤

4 hours ago, Shadowsfall said:

What you trying to sell me Joc…😉😆…..I take it your song is somewhere on the app….👨‍🎤

hmmmm...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:12 AM, fred_mc said:

Interesting. Yes, people who have had near-death experiences also report that they have been in a place "beyond time and space", a place where time doesn't exist, and that they can't explain what it is like. This also makes me think of a synonym for dying that we have in Swedish, which is "gå ur tiden", meaning "go out of time", i.e. leaving time.

Thank you, that is interesting. I had not heard about the link between Nde and being outside of time. But being outside of time seems like a better description than what I could phrase.

When it happened I did not have a sense of dying or of nearly dying. I had been awake and active for about an hour. I was not laying down in a sleeping position.

And then, my internal sense of time's passing went silent. The universe around me was not flowing and changing. The sound of my breathing and feeling of my heartbeat went silent too. My eyes, which had been open, continued to see a frozen still shot of the scene.

After an unknown, or perhaps meaningless, amount of subjective/consciousness pseudo-time ; I became aware that what was holding me in this frozen still shot was my own automatic instinctual effort of focusing on sequential "present moments" in a linear "time" which was arbitrary. And that I could decide which moment to focus my "present moment" awareness on. In a way like being able to mentally zoom in and zoom out everywhere I cast my attention.

But there was a huge expanse of possibilities - not just selections from my own subjective life's past. But futures too. And possibilities which were part of the universe but had not been part of my life.

After an unknown amount of consciousness pseudo-time, my attention returned to myself again. Concern over what would be happening to my body if my mind stayed away. It seemed to be standing as I was when the scene froze, with a history of moments of heartbeat/breathing. Which I thought could not be good or healthy to maintain. So I chose to return to this illusion of time, because like the old saying, the show must go on. 

• Like 4

Time is interesting, to say the least!   We learn? …it is part of Space/Time.   Some call it the fabric of space/time. .which can warp & bend.? Some, (like Piney;)  say time is the bending of space.     So, just thinkin,  if space is malleable ,,,then time is as well?    It isn’t a constant.?        Even if, in general, it does seem to go by quite evenly!  doesn’t it!?         Ok, Silly talk time ;   I think we experience change ..which includes the ongoing RE - CREATION of the Universe (& us)  as the passing of time.       ..guess I could be wrong about that though.:P

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, joc said:

hmmmm...

Not bad at all Joc ….it’s got a bit of Eloy or Nektar about  it….and that’s a strong voice too… well done mate….

Edited by Shadowsfall
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Shadowsfall said:

Not bad at all Joc ….it’s got a bit of Eloy or Nektar about  it….and that’s a strong voice too… well done mate….

Its an older song from like 15 years ago maybe...but, it came to mind as the thread progressed...glad  you liked it! The background music is just a loop off my keyboard songlist.  The first and last bars are from the keyboard and then me playing guitar. That's all there is to it really.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/8/2024 at 5:43 PM, mw.decavia said:

Perhaps "eternity"?

Sounds like an interesting experience.

• Like 1

oh, that was just a brief glimpse into the 4th dimension. doesn't that happen to everyone from time to time?

kidding. 

but that is pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 6:13 AM, mw.decavia said:

Perhaps "eternity"?

I am glad that you have had such an experience, also known as samadhi or unitary perception.

It appears that you perhaps have had it serendipitously. I have come across others who have had similar serendipitious experiences seeking insights on the same, hoping to repeat the same. 

It would be easier to have them in the beach or midst of forests or large parks where there is an abundance of prana/chi. 

20 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

It would be easier to have them in the beach or midst of forests or large parks where there is an abundance of prana/chi.

Pretty sure HEB carries that in their produce section.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:01 PM, Shadowsfall said:

Or maybe day dreaming ….

Why sad my friend there’s nothing wrong with day dreaming ….takes you to places quite unimaginable…I wasn’t being an *******….

On 6/9/2024 at 1:43 AM, mw.decavia said:

Perhaps "eternity"?

are you suggesting you're special in some way? just out of interest

• Thanks 1