Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

King Charles III portrait vandalized by animal rights activists

Kittens Are Jerks

King Charles III portrait vandalized with 'Wallace and Gromit' image by animal rights activists

LONDON — The first official portrait of King Charles III since his coronation was defaced by animal rights activists at a public gallery in London on Tuesday, according to pictures released by a protest group.

The Animal Rising group released video showing two of its supporters quickly approaching the painting and placing the head of Wallace, a character from the "Wallace and Gromit" animated franchise, onto the head of the monarch, to gasps of shock from onlookers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/king-charles-iii-portrait-vandalized-wallace-gromit-image-animal-right-rcna156512

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I always wonder if the 'activists' really think that defacing things will actually get them the desired results. They can't honestly think this will change anything, can they?

I mean seriously, King Charles had a portrait vandalized? Big deal, he'll have a new one commissioned and have a third party sell the defaced one at auction to make even more money.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Trelane said:

I always wonder if the 'activists' really think that defacing things will actually get them the desired results. They can't honestly think this will change anything, can they?

It got them exactly what they wanted in this case... publicity for their campaign.

6 hours ago, Trelane said:

I mean seriously, King Charles had a portrait vandalized? Big deal, he'll have a new one commissioned and have a third party sell the defaced one at auction to make even more money.

I am not condoning what the protested did, but to be fair to them, they did not damage the portrait. They stuck a poster (of Wallace from Wallace and Gromit) on the glass protecting the portrait.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It got them exactly what they wanted in this case... publicity for their campaign.

I am not condoning what the protested did, but to be fair to them, they did not damage the portrait. They stuck a poster (of Wallace from Wallace and Gromit) on the glass protecting the portrait.

Yeah, I do get it. Publicity of course. But does it get them to the desired end result?

I could be wrong, but I think in some cases it turns the public sentiment away from them instead if securing popular support.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trelane said:

I could be wrong, but I think in some cases it turns the public sentiment away from them instead if securing popular support.

You are right in many cases. As no actual damage was done I'm not sure this is one of those cases.

I think a good example of what you are talking about is the Just Stop Oil protests. I have some sympathy for what they want but their methods make them look like extremist loonies. They are repelling, rather than attracting support.

• Like 3