Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Confirm False Alarm After Reports of Space Station Emergency

Waspie_Dwarf

About two hours ago I began to see reports on X (formerly Twitter) that there was a serious emergency on board the International Space Station. It's been a worrying couple of hours because the reports were serious, and from people that are usually reliable.

Being a cautious person by nature I decided not to post anything here until I knew what the truth was. I am glad that I did wait as I can pat myself on the shoulder for not spreading false news.

The first report I saw was from The Launch Pad. Here are the tweets (or whatever they are called now):

Other reputable sources then began running the story:

The discussion continued for over an hour, with various experts questioning whether this was a drill or a real emergency.

Fortunately NASA (followed by SpaceX) eventually cleared up the situation:

So no emergency on the ISS, The lesson for today kids, is don't believe everything you read on the internet (unless it's from UM admin or moderators, we can be trusted 100%... or can we?

😉

• Like 2

Good job Waspie! I'm sure X or Twitter is still going on and on about it. Here's a link with the whole conversation and how it happened.

If this was really an emergency on the Space Station, how would they have gotten an astronaut to a hospital in Spain in any kind of a timely manner? Just wondering.

NASA says no emergency on ISS after alarming audio about hurt astronaut (floridatoday.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

If this was really an emergency on the Space Station, how would they have gotten an astronaut to a hospital in Spain in any kind of a timely manner? Just wondering.

The attached spacecraft, Soyuz, Crew Dragon and Starliner, can be used as life boats. If an astronaut needs urgent medical attention then the craft they launched in can be powered up quickly, undock and make an emergency landing (it wouldn't need to be Spain, it would be the first suitable location).

The entire crew of that spacecraft would evacuate. This is the reason that Russian spacecraft to the ISS usually carry a NASA astronaut and US spacecraft usually carry a Roscosmos cosmonaut, If one of the craft has to evacuate it ensures that at least one crew member from each agency remains on board the ISS.

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The attached spacecraft, Soyuz, Crew Dragon and Starliner, can be used as life boats. If an astronaut needs urgent medical attention then the craft they launched in can be powered up quickly, undock and make an emergency landing (it wouldn't need to be Spain, it would be the first suitable location).

The entire crew of that spacecraft would evacuate. This is the reason that Russian spacecraft to the ISS usually carry a NASA astronaut and US spacecraft usually carry a Roscosmos cosmonaut, If one of the craft has to evacuate it ensures that at least one crew member from each agency remains on board the ISS.

Thanks for the information Waspie. I couldn't figure out why the woman would be talking about how the best decompression hospital for this sick astronaut was in Spain if she was talking about an incident on the Space Station. It's good to know that they can get someone back pretty quickly if something was really to go wrong. Spain was probably just part of the scenario they were practicing.

• Like 2