Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thefts of charging cables pose yet another obstacle to appeal of electric vehicles

DETROIT (AP) — Just before 2 a.m. on a chilly April night in Seattle, a Chevrolet Silverado pickup stopped at an electric vehicle charging station on the edge of a shopping center parking lot. 

Two men, one with a light strapped to his head, got out. A security camera recorded them pulling out bolt cutters. One man snipped several charging cables; the other loaded them into the truck. In under 2½ minutes, they were gone.

The scene that night has become part of a troubling pattern across the country: Thieves have been targeting EV charging stations, intent on stealing the cables, which contain copper wiring. The price of copper is near a record high on global markets, which means criminals stand to collect rising sums of cash from selling the material.

The stolen cables often disable entire stations, forcing EV owners on the road to search desperately for a working charger. For 

https://apnews.com/article/electric-vehicles-charging-cables-stolen-copper-tesla-5f003686cade63fade2e8d7dd3402f3a

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

You can't leave a house empty in the US for the same reason. Dopefiends will strip it for ever piece of copper. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

You can't leave a house empty in the US for the same reason. Dopefiends will strip it for ever piece of copper. 

At one time thieves were climbing utility poles and stealing high count copper telephone cables, hard work compared to ground level charging cables.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Wow, people never cease to amaze me.   For the copper huh?   Call me paranoid, but I wonder if some of it is Vandalism by Anti-Greenies!?

Google:  copper currently at $4.18 per pd.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, WVK said:

At one time thieves were climbing utility poles and stealing high count copper telephone cables, hard work compared to ground level charging cables.

The NJ State Police showed my boss and I a video of the guy who stole our chainsaws actually stealing from a AC Electric substation in full color video. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

The NJ State Police showed my boss and I a video of the guy who stole our chainsaws actually stealing from a AC Electric substation in full color video. 

A spectacular flash….

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, lightly said:

Wow, people never cease to amaze me.   For the copper huh?   Call me paranoid, but I wonder if some of it is Vandalism by Anti-Greenies!?

Google:  copper currently at $4.18 per pd.

Interesting theory.  The solution is making the charging cord part of the car, not the charging station.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WVK said:

A spectacular flash….

I wish there was. The addict is still in prison for robbing my wife's cousin's concrete company office and killing him because he happened to be there. 

Spoiled rich sociopath addicted to heroin.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, WVK said:

I once sold cable markers to identify fiber cables placed on utility poles, one per cable per pole. 
South Africa was a good customer becaus once identified as fiber cable the thieves wouldn’t mess with them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WVK said:

I once sold cable markers to identify fiber cables placed on utility poles, one per cable per pole. 
South Africa was a good customer becaus once identified as fiber cable the thieves wouldn’t mess with them.

The original intent of the markers was to identify the cable as fiber and each carrier’s name as there might be several carriers at each pole.  A downside of this labeling is people up to no good can easily identify which cables to cut To cause the most havoc.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2024 at 10:43 AM, WVK said:

The original intent of the markers was to identify the cable as fiber and each carrier’s name as there might be several carriers at each pole.  A downside of this labeling is people up to no good can easily identify which cables to cut To cause the most havoc.

Deliberate AT&T fiber cut in Sacramento leads to airport outage

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/deliberate-att-fiber-cut-in-sacramento-leads-to-airport-outage/

• Like 2
  • Sad 2