Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When Zombies Roamed the Streets of Jerusalem


pellinore

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Despite being brought up a Christian I had never heard of this until a few days ago. Seems people are happy to celebrate the resurrection, but this pretty important part of it doesn't get a mention.

Pity really, as it is the kind of dramatic event that could capture people's imaginations:

There are some parts of the Bible that seem seriously weird to us. Take the end of Matthew 27 for example, with its image of the undead wandering around Jerusalem. It’s one of those passages that I’ve never heard anyone preach on, possibly because it seems to raise more questions than it answers.

And yet, as always, when we take the time to dig a bit deeper some things start to come in focus.

"And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!” Matthew 27 v 50-54

When Zombies Roamed the Streets of Jerusalem | The Good Book Blog

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They weren’t zombies.  They had been resurrected by Jesus, who is the Resurrection, and the Life. Or, so some may believe.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Odd that it is the only verse in the Bible that makes that claim.  But, whatever.  Merry Christmas, I almost broke 80 in golf today, so I am high as a kite, literally…figuratively, and metaphorically.  I thank you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

They weren’t zombies.  They had been resurrected by Jesus, who is the Resurrection, and the Life. Or, so some may believe.

Zombie sounds a bit unpleasant, but decomposition begins immediately after death. In a hot climate, I imagine after a few days the reanimated corpses would look Zombified. After a week or so they would stink, too. With decomposed muscle tissue they would have the classic Zombie shuffle. It must have been a fascinating sight.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Zombie sounds a bit unpleasant, but decomposition begins immediately after death. In a hot climate, I imagine after a few days the reanimated corpses would look Zombified. After a week or so they would stink, too. With decomposed muscle tissue they would have the classic Zombie shuffle. It must have been a fascinating sight.

If you want to understand how this works you'll have to dig a bit deeper into the scripture.  Upon ressurection, our physical bodies aren't just reanimated in the decayed state.  There is a conversion of our physical body so that it becomes eternal and is no longer subject to decay, illness, and so on.  Those who do not believe in Christ's message certainly won't believe what I just claimed but He never made any claim about reanimating rotting corpses.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, and-then said:

If you want to understand how this works you'll have to dig a bit deeper into the scripture.  Upon ressurection, our physical bodies aren't just reanimated in the decayed state.  There is a conversion of our physical body so that it becomes eternal and is no longer subject to decay, illness, and so on.  Those who do not believe in Christ's message certainly won't believe what I just claimed but He never made any claim about reanimating rotting corpses.

This is something I have wondered about and have never had an answer. On resurrection, what age would people be? The age of their death, or in their prime of life? I understand you may not have a definitive answer, but your view would be interesting.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, pellinore said:

This is something I have wondered about and have never had an answer. On resurrection, what age would people be? The age of their death, or in their prime of life? I understand you may not have a definitive answer, but your view would be interesting.

I have always interpreted the various doctrinal commentaries etc as your post-resurrection body as being the ideal one for you - you might not be taller but you’d be fitter, you won’t be asthmatic or have an addictive personality etc….

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I have always interpreted the various doctrinal commentaries etc as your post-resurrection body as being the ideal one for you - you might not be taller but you’d be fitter, you won’t be asthmatic or have an addictive personality etc….

Do you think gay people would be made straight?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

Do you think gay people would be made straight?

Do you think there’s something wrong with them that needs repairing?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I have always interpreted the various doctrinal commentaries etc as your post-resurrection body as being the ideal one for you - you might not be taller but you’d be fitter, you won’t be asthmatic or have an addictive personality etc….

Might not even be about a physical body. Could've just been a whole lot of ghost. I don't know. I'm not angry with Christianity any longer. So I don't obsess over these things. I just see the whole thing as a collection of tales meant to teach some kind of lesson or further the story. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If souls exist. Then there is possibly the chance that everything that is Us is left behind. So I would exist, but I wouldn't. Male-Female and sexual orientation would be gone. The way I think of it and there is no evidence nor proof of this concept. If you have a glass of water and use a toothpick to pull out a single drop. Put a tiny amount of food coloring in this drop, this mortal life. Death is thus a filter, it leaves the dye behind. The soul is thus purified and back in to the collective pool. 

Just a metaphor/concept I like. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If souls exist. Then there is possibly the chance that everything that is Us is left behind. So I would exist, but I wouldn't. Male-Female and sexual orientation would be gone. The way I think of it and there is no evidence nor proof of this concept. If you have a glass of water and use a toothpick to pull out a single drop. Put a tiny amount of food coloring in this drop, this mortal life. Death is thus a filter, it leaves the dye behind. The soul is thus purified and back in to the collective pool. 

Just a metaphor/concept I like. 

In Algonquian spiritually you have 2 souls. Your "earth soul" with all your "lower" personality traits and your "true soul" which is your spiritual energy. The earth soul fades away after a period of time and your true soul becomes part of the Master of Life's energy. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Might not even be about a physical body. Could've just been a whole lot of ghost. I don't know. I'm not angry with Christianity any longer. So I don't obsess over these things. I just see the whole thing as a collection of tales meant to teach some kind of lesson or further the story. 

I'm only angry with Evangelicals promoting doom, gloom, Bible literalism and mind control and churches that are outright cults. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Do you think there’s something wrong with them that needs repairing?

Not me, but I think some Christians (perhaps a majority) think being gay is immoral. I wonder if it is one of the "imperfections" that is put right (You said: There is a conversion of our physical body so that it becomes eternal and is no longer subject to decay, illness, and so on.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Not me, but I think some Christians (perhaps a majority) think being gay is immoral. I wonder if it is one of the "imperfections" that is put right (You said: There is a conversion of our physical body so that it becomes eternal and is no longer subject to decay, illness, and so on.)

The Evangelicals who are ranting about it are dying out so they are screaming the loudest in their death throes. They are a minority and getting smaller, but the mainstream Angelicans, Methodists and Presbyterians I know when doing the interdenominational thing don't seem to have a problem with it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Do you think there’s something wrong with them that needs repairing?

 

Besides resulting in offspring and experiencing the gratifications of sexual intercourse, do you think there's another purpose for the function of procreation and what that is?

Other than the experience of parenting biological children?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Guyver said:

They weren’t zombies.  They had been resurrected by Jesus, who is the Resurrection, and the Life. Or, so some may believe.

Or, just as plausibly, Jesus was a necromancer who brought zombies out of hell and set them upon the Romans.

Or maybe Matthew was just a religious hysteric?

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Or, just as plausibly, Jesus was a necromancer who brought zombies out of hell and set them upon the Romans.

Or maybe Matthew was just a religious hysteric?

The latter, who wasn't Matthew and never knew Jesus. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm only angry with Evangelicals promoting doom, gloom, Bible literalism and mind control and churches that are outright cults. 

I am angry with my drummer because he can’t even play a simple effing song right in front of a live audience.  Uuuuggghh.  Damn it.  And not just one song, he literally sucked on playing tonight, and I had to tell it to his face and that makes me unhappy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to mention that my priceless to me Martin acoustic took a digger and hit the floor tonight because of a drunk dude and the fact that someone locked up my acoustic case without my permission, and Inshould have fixed the situation myself on break, but I did not, now I’m angry with myself too. Aaaargggh.  I hate it.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Guyver said:

Not to mention that my priceless to me Martin acoustic took a digger and hit the floor tonight because of a drunk dude and the fact that someone locked up my acoustic case without my permission, and Inshould have fixed the situation myself on break, but I did not, now I’m angry with myself too. Aaaargggh.  I hate it.

That really sucks. 

I used my Ibanez Roadstar 2 for beating around so I didn't hurt my Fender Precision. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2024 at 11:03 PM, pellinore said:

Despite being brought up a Christian I had never heard of this until a few days ago. Seems people are happy to celebrate the resurrection, but this pretty important part of it doesn't get a mention.

Pity really, as it is the kind of dramatic event that could capture people's imaginations:

There are some parts of the Bible that seem seriously weird to us. Take the end of Matthew 27 for example, with its image of the undead wandering around Jerusalem. It’s one of those passages that I’ve never heard anyone preach on, possibly because it seems to raise more questions than it answers.

And yet, as always, when we take the time to dig a bit deeper some things start to come in focus.

"And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!” Matthew 27 v 50-54

When Zombies Roamed the Streets of Jerusalem | The Good Book Blog

It's the sort of fanciful window dressing common in all literary works of antiquity, such as appeared in disparate accounts such as the Histories of Herodotus to The Travels of Marco Polo. They were as much entertainment as they were informative. Yellow journalism is a lot older than we think.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's the sort of fanciful window dressing common in all literary works of antiquity, such as appeared in disparate accounts such as the Histories of Herodotus to The Travels of Marco Polo. They were as much entertainment as they were informative. Yellow journalism is a lot older than we think.

But if we shouldn't take everything in the Bible seriously (talking serpents, stoning people who work on the Sabbath, etc) and have to use our own judgement, then the Bible then has nothing to teach us about morality? If we are using our own morality to select what we think is entertainment and what is information, shouldn't the whole book be relegated to just entertaining fiction?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

But if we shouldn't take everything in the Bible seriously (talking serpents, stoning people who work on the Sabbath, etc) and have to use our own judgement, then the Bible then has nothing to teach us about morality? If we are using our own morality to select what we think is entertainment and what is information, shouldn't the whole book be relegated to just entertaining fiction?

Google the Thomas Jefferson Bible. It might interest you. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.