Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dangerous Calls to Capture Moscow Escalate as Western Derangement About Russia Grows

WVK

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tatetopa

• Hammerclaw

• WVK

• Unusual Tournament

7 hours ago, pellinore said:

Who is calling for Moscow to be captured?

Russians mostly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Russia being an Empire and not a country, calls to overthrow the capital of that Empire would necessarily have to come from within the Empire. Putin has started describing the Ukraine conflict as a "civil war", a tacit admission he still considers Ukraine a Vassal State.

• Like 3

Greenwald's analysis seems very rational to me.  I agree that the current normalcy bias regarding the danger of nuclear weapons/war has become the greatest threat to civilization in our lifetimes.  No, we cannot allow a thug to use threats of nukes to enable the takeover of sovereign nations but our blase attitudes toward threats of the use of these weapons is chilling.  More than once on these boards I've had members mock me and call me a coward for bringing this up.  I think they are behaving like foolish children on this issue.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, and-then said:

More than once on these boards I've had members mock me and call me a coward for bringing this up.  I think they are behaving like foolish children on this issue.  

You are definitely not a coward.  A brave man vaporizes just as quickly as a fearful one.  A sane person would not want a nuclear device detonated anywhere.  People may assume Putin is sane and therefore bluffing.

43 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

You are definitely not a coward.  A brave man vaporizes just as quickly as a fearful one.  A sane person would not want a nuclear device detonated anywhere.  People may assume Putin is sane and therefore bluffing.

Sane or not, he is Russian, with the insane dream of reconstituting the former Soviet Union, so all bets are off. What must be driven home to him is that the launch of a single nuclear weapon will trigger M.A.D. and a complete thermonuclear response from the West. One does not plan one's defense based on what one thinks an enemy will do, but on what they are capable of doing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

From the get go this war was gonna be trouble for everyone. Currently there is a stalemate in Eastern Ukraine that will probably not be resolved with military action. If the status quo holds then we will not wake up one day to the sound of a big explosion. My concern is what if Western aid changes this. Putin will have no choice other than to use tactical nuclear weapons and America will also escalate. One big gamble for everyone 

14 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sane or not, he is Russian, with the insane dream of reconstituting the former Soviet Union, so all bets are off.

I tend to agree with you.  Putin does want an empire again and Ukraine, the Baltic States, and maybe even Poland are part of what he believes are rightfully part of imperial Russia.    Deterrence does only work on sane people. Currently he is sane and thinks there is a chance of winning something. Some of his inner circle will remain sane even if he loses it. The check and balance in Russia seems to be  that when a leader becomes dangerously unpopular, he falls out a window.

That is not enough to bet the lives of 300 million Americans on though.   The people who  advise the administration and keep deterrence ready are far removed from the innocents in Congress who believe Putin already has enough land or he is our friend.  We are still ready to launce if necessary. 

But we are sane, we would rather not.  I think that explains why US was angry at Ukraine for destroying that expensive  Russian radar. It was an early warning radar.  A blinded Russia is more likely to be on a hair trigger and more likely to launch first out of fear.

11 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

From the get go this war was gonna be trouble for everyone. Currently there is a stalemate in Eastern Ukraine that will probably not be resolved with military action. If the status quo holds then we will not wake up one day to the sound of a big explosion. My concern is what if Western aid changes this. Putin will have no choice other than to use tactical nuclear weapons and America will also escalate. One big gamble for everyone 

I think the West is aware of this.  Current aid and arriving hardware will not bring a Ukrainian victory, just perpetuate current activity.  Russia is pinned to a front line that may gain a few kilometers or lose a few, but is going nowhere fast.  That favors the West.   Putin is aging, Russians are aging and a million or so young educated people have fled.  Half a million have died or been wounded in the special military action  in Ukraine.  That leaves a big population hole in future generations.  The Russian economy is  focused on  wartime production rather than internal infrastructure needs.  Its a slow decline, something humans seem less apt to respond to than sudden visible threats.

• Like 1