Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts & Psychokinesis Experience


Shuffletracker

Recommended Posts

Let me share with you a quick story. After my parents' divorce my mom & I moved into my grandmother's house, so it was us three living in the same house.

I was about 11 or 12 at the time and I had my own bedroom. And used to stay up late at night to watch the Johnny Carson show.

One night and I am not sure how to describe this to you, but I could sense some kind of presence in my room. I could feel it. And I remember being afraid and confused at the same time. This "experience" lasted for about 15 or so minutes. And then all of a sudden, I stopped "feeling" this feeling that something was in my room. So, I closed my bedroom door and turned the light switch in the OFF position to turn the light off.

So, I am in bed. And within a few minutes, the big light came on.

I was very confused because the door was still shut, and my grandmother and mom had long gone to bed. And to turn the big light on one would have to open the door to do it.

So, I got up out of bed and went over to the light switch, the switch was now in the ON position!

How did the light switch turn itself into the ON position? I don't know. There is only one way in which that light could have turned on, somebody or something had to have physically flipped the switch into the ON position, but nobody was in the room but me!

Isn't that an example of psychokinesis? I say yes.

To this day I cannot explain "what" was in the room with me. What do you think I experienced?

Thoughts & Opinions please...

ST

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As it was an old house, what was the wiring like? 
Did you often experience “feelings of dread”/the presence in the same place? 
Did anything like that happen again? 
How tired were you? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shuffletracker said:

Thoughts & Opinions please...

just a story zzzzzzz

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You probably didn't flip the switch all the way, and it flipped back. It happens with older light switches according to my master electrician son. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shuffletracker said:


Isn't that an example of psychokinesis? I say yes.

I'm a believer in this because I experienced this a few weeks ago, not a switch but an example of psychokinesis. I'm not sure why you think your case was psychokinesis because you have to deeply want whatever it is to happen. Were you thinking about the light being on? A mundane answer would be Hank's with the older switch which is a possibility. With the presence you described I'm more inclined to think it was some kind of entity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't believe psychokinesis is something that can be controlled, replicated as a party trick or whatever. It happens sometimes when we really need it, it's very deep. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

As it was an old house, what was the wiring like? 
Did you often experience “feelings of dread”/the presence in the same place? 
Did anything like that happen again? 
How tired were you? 

Question 1 - Yes, it was an old house. But the wiring wouldn't affect the switch turning itself up into the ON position.

Question 2 - No.

Question 3 - No.

Question 4 - IDK, happened a long time ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dejarma said:

just a story zzzzzzz

Well, what kind of proof do you require?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

You probably didn't flip the switch all the way, and it flipped back. It happens with older light switches according to my master electrician son. 

It was a modern light switch. Probably the kind you have at your place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, openozy said:

I'm a believer in this because I experienced this a few weeks ago, not a switch but an example of psychokinesis. I'm not sure why you think your case was psychokinesis because you have to deeply want whatever it is to happen. Were you thinking about the light being on? A mundane answer would be Hank's with the older switch which is a possibility. With the presence you described I'm more inclined to think it was some kind of entity.

I still don't know what it was.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shuffletracker said:

Well, what kind of proof do you require?

No amount of proof will convince someone who'll never accept it. 

I think Hank has the light idea about the light switch. 

As for feeling a presence, could be due to living in a different and somewhat unfamiliar environment. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No amount of proof will convince someone who'll never accept it. 

I think Hank has the light idea about the light switch. 

As for feeling a presence, could be due to living in a different and somewhat unfamiliar environment. 

IDK. I wish I could be more skeptical about this, but I am not. Nothing weird ever happened in that house again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Shuffletracker said:

I still don't know what it was.

You could have subconsciously wanted the light on as it scared you a bit, that's when this stuff works, this would be psychokinesis. Seeing you felt the presence I'm more inclined to think a paranormal entity if not a mundane reason like a dodgy switch.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here in Oz, it's not uncommon with older switches that the pivot point on one side (or both, eek) breaks off.  Once that happens they do not click securely into either position, and even a light touch will result in them flopping to the other position.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2024 at 9:15 PM, Shuffletracker said:

Let me share with you a quick story. After my parents' divorce my mom & I moved into my grandmother's house, so it was us three living in the same house.

I was about 11 or 12 at the time and I had my own bedroom. And used to stay up late at night to watch the Johnny Carson show.

One night and I am not sure how to describe this to you, but I could sense some kind of presence in my room. I could feel it. And I remember being afraid and confused at the same time. This "experience" lasted for about 15 or so minutes. And then all of a sudden, I stopped "feeling" this feeling that something was in my room. So, I closed my bedroom door and turned the light switch in the OFF position to turn the light off.

So, I am in bed. And within a few minutes, the big light came on.

I was very confused because the door was still shut, and my grandmother and mom had long gone to bed. And to turn the big light on one would have to open the door to do it.

So, I got up out of bed and went over to the light switch, the switch was now in the ON position!

How did the light switch turn itself into the ON position? I don't know. There is only one way in which that light could have turned on, somebody or something had to have physically flipped the switch into the ON position, but nobody was in the room but me!

Isn't that an example of psychokinesis? I say yes.

To this day I cannot explain "what" was in the room with me. What do you think I experienced?

Thoughts & Opinions please...

ST

You asked for thoughts and opinions, no, I do not consider that even vaguely an example of psychokinesis, which has never been proven to exist, it would however be easy to prove if real but no one has done so just yet, only the typical "it doesn't work like that"  excuses.
Before anyone questions how to prove it?, well, could you do the trick over and over at will? Can you do it right now?
Memories are odd they are proven to morph and change as time passes, I believe that you are not making this up but I don't think it means you have special powers or a gift,
When I was about 11 or 12 I would have those spring loaded window blinds roll up on their own and scare the hell out of me, but I knew even then they were just sensitive, no ghosts or powers involved.
We've been at this new joint about 8 years I thought myself from online how to do electrical by code, some of the wiring here is still knob and tube I still have some old two button light switches that were doing were stuff, but yeah, flip light switches can and do turn themselves on and off when wearing out or broken no special gifts needed,
The sense of present is very old for mankind I believe it is in the temporal lobes, we all have that feeling and if some want to claim it's some entity more power to them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 9:15 PM, Shuffletracker said:

 

Thoughts & Opinions please...

ST

It sounds like a spirit presence to me with the feelings followed by actual physical evidence.

Any theory on what this was all about? Part of any history before or after the event?

'Psychokinesis' is probably not the word I would use unless you think you did it with your own mind. "Poltergeist" would be the term I'd use, meaning:

Poltergeist noun

a ghost or other supernatural being supposedly responsible for physical disturbances such as loud noises and objects thrown around.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

a ghost or other supernatural being supposedly responsible for physical disturbances such as loud noises and objects thrown around.

If that fantasy could be proven I would be delighted.

smiley_popcorn.gif.5a89c843c9c41da25550b2bc3c4c29f6.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, the13bats said:

If that fantasy could be proven I would be delighted.

smiley_popcorn.gif.5a89c843c9c41da25550b2bc3c4c29f6.gif

After a few hundred thousand cases like the OP, I consider it close enough to proven.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

After a few hundred thousand cases like the OP, I consider it close enough to proven.

Cases, experiences etc are just another name for stories and if you say a few hundred thousand then even more reason we should have actual proof not proof based on each person's beliefs,

Like my psychics test, a heck of a lot less that hundred thousands but still countless have tried and all failed and then I'm greeted with the cop out excuse "it doesn't work like that"

Anyhoo, keep up your belief I'll keep up my doubt.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

After a few hundred thousand cases like the OP, I consider it close enough to proven.

Please explain why "a few hundred thousand cases" would lead you to consider "it close enough to proven." I'm directly challenging your claims on having balanced judgment and understanding of science. It's evident that you either don't have balanced judgment as you claim to have and are biased towards the paranormal, or you don't understand basic science and data analysis. 

Do you feel the same about the millions to billions of people who believe in different religions and vehemently claim to have had a personal experience with their deity of choice? The religions are mutually exclusive. If we add on a billion cases like the OP, does that affect the results? 

Edited by csspwns
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, csspwns said:

Please explain why "a few hundred thousand cases" would lead you to consider "it close enough to proven." I'm directly challenging your claims on having balanced judgment and understanding of science. It's evident that you either don't have balanced judgment as you claim to have and are biased towards the paranormal, or you don't understand basic science and data analysis. 

Do you feel the same about the millions to billions of people who believe in different religions and vehemently claim to have had a personal experience with their deity of choice? The religions are mutually exclusive. If we add on a billion cases like the OP, does that affect the results? 

I'm feeling like babbling, very drained yet nerves all screwed up.

From about 45 years into this stuff and researching it with many years of hands on I have seen that when it comes to belief be it in God, aliens, Bigfoot, ghosts etc many believers their belief is their science, it's real to them not of course real as can be proven, I have heard people say they met God or got assaulted by a ghost or saw BF etc they don't have proof so forget that but the proof is in their minds.

I have been a hobbyist magician for decades and there are of course illusions that I don't know how the trick is done but I know it is a trick but what if my mind wouldnt be rational and logical what if I was sure what I saw wasn't a trick it was paranormal and my beliefs held strong on that, it sure doesn't make it a fact or truth but belief.

Drop bear believes that stories equal reality, that blows me away and when I first met him I sold it to myself he was a troll having fun but he seldom gets upset he just doubles down on his beliefs one thing for sure even when the evidence proves he is mistaken in his beliefs his ego his mind refuses to allow him to admit it.

For example Jaimie maussan is a proven repeat charlatan conman but to DB he's just a sucker victim who got scammed over and over. Yeah. An idiot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like a case of sleep paralysis and a faulty light switch.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, csspwns said:

Please explain why "a few hundred thousand cases" would lead you to consider "it close enough to proven." I'm directly challenging your claims on having balanced judgment and understanding of science. It's evident that you either don't have balanced judgment as you claim to have and are biased towards the paranormal, or you don't understand basic science and data analysis. 

I'm glad you asked me that question. Here goes.

Now in the OP case in addition to the subjective experience we have a physical event (the mechanical light switch flipped positions). Certainly we can create an inside-the-box explain away for this. How likely is the explain-away, we'll never know. However, the chance of there being an inside-the-box explain-away for hundreds of thousands (using extrapolation) of similar cases, the chance that every one has an inside-the-box explain-away starts to approach zero very quickly. 

And remember I am not doing formal science but addressing the question 'All things considered what is most reasonable to believe?'.

7 hours ago, csspwns said:

Do you feel the same about the millions to billions of people who believe in different religions and vehemently claim to have had a personal experience with their deity of choice? The religions are mutually exclusive. If we add on a billion cases like the OP, does that affect the results? 

I believe there are paranormal phenomena associated with all religions and I don't consider any proper religion mutually exclusive. Rigid fundamentalist branches seem to be proven wrong by this data, but more liberal interpretations are fine.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe there are paranormal phenomena associated with all religions and I don't consider any proper religion mutually exclusive. Rigid fundamentalist branches seem to be proven wrong by this data, but more liberal interpretations are fine.

Because with actual spiritual religions it's all in the focus-concentration. Rigid fundamentalists are just blind believers parroting their leaders. They are not focused on spiritual experiences like Quakers or Buddhists. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I'm glad you asked me that question. Here goes.

Now in the OP case in addition to the subjective experience we have a physical event (the mechanical light switch flipped positions). Certainly we can create an inside-the-box explain away for this. How likely is the explain-away, we'll never know. However, the chance of there being an inside-the-box explain-away for hundreds of thousands (using extrapolation) of similar cases, the chance that every one has an inside-the-box explain-away starts to approach zero very quickly. 

And remember I am not doing formal science but addressing the question 'All things considered what is most reasonable to believe?'.

I believe there are paranormal phenomena associated with all religions and I don't consider any proper religion mutually exclusive. Rigid fundamentalist branches seem to be proven wrong by this data, but more liberal interpretations are fine.

So is it more reasonable to believe ( closed box thinking ,) that it's more likely ghosts flip light switches, ( which has zero supporting evidence) or more likely it's a flaw either in the hardware ie switch, power, lights, wires etc, ( proven countless times ) or the software flaw ie the persons experience isn't really what happened they didn't flip the switch correctly or they forgot they didn't turn something or or off. ( Also proven countless times )
A blind true believer with lean paranormal is more likely but that sure isn't reasonable.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.