Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The children who remember their past lives

pellinore

Posted (edited)

'That is the field where I died', a five-year-old boy tells his parents.

'I remember because the mud was so deep it went over my gaiters', he says serenely while pointing across a former historic battlefield in southern England.

Quite apart from the shock of their son claiming to have been reincarnated, his parents listened opened mouthed because he had no knowledge of history yet had referred to his gaiters - a protective leg covering worn by soldiers from 1700 until the end of the First World War. 

He is not alone. An American university has compiled a database of more than 2,200 children who have been haunted by 'carry-over of memories' of past lives since the 1960s.

Critics believe that these tales are inspired by other sources of information such as TV, the internet, family stories - or just figments of a child's active imagination. 

But two thirds of those cases contained enough detail to identify the deceased person the child believes they may have been, a recent study by the University of Virginia School of Medicine found. 

The children who remember their past lives: Chilling phenomenon of why thousands of toddlers are being haunted by memories that aren't theirs - and when to worry about your child's 'imaginary friend' | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There is no chance a young child could pick this stuff up off TV or any other source and I think it's the critics imagination if they believe they could.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My grandson once asked me, when he was 3, if I remembered when he was big and I was little.   I didn't know how to answer because I wasn't sure who I was talking to.   He would not say anything else about it.  3 times when I was babysitting a younger cousin, who was 3 at the time, she would get up in the morning and tell me about who she was in the past, usually how she died.   Very detailed and no way she would have seen it on TV because we didn't watch TV.  Once she said she was a bad man on  a pirate ship and the british came and bombed her ship and she drowned.  Another time it  was "our house burned up and me and my mamma and my sister burned up with it, but it is ok because I have a new mamma now"

• Like 7

Decades back I read the lengthy book 'Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation' by Dr. Ian Stevenson cover-to-cover with all the analysis. That was the start for me of verifiable real-world cases suggestive of reincarnation.

It appears that these memories are more common among children that died dramatically at a young age with their life force in the previous life in full bloom. One thought is these leave more reverberating echo memories as opposed to those that died naturally at a ripe age. As the child ages, they become more involved in their current life and these echo memories fade.

The materialist cannot have any of this and remain a materialist. So, I have been extremely interested in the best attempts to explain away these cases within materialism. The leading attempts are children picking up information through normal channels and then incorporating these facts into their imagination of a previous life. But in the strongest cases of detailed memory this just becomes a bit too far-fetched and then is introduced the idea of being led on by overeager parents and investigators. In my judgment the materialists make their best argument, but those arguments are clearly unsatisfactory to me in the stronger cases of detailed memory but are the best attempt at an explain-away.

Also, completely aside from childhood reincarnation memories, is the fact that 'reincarnation' is considered part and parcel of the spiritual traditions I have come to respect. The childhood reincarnation memories then become reinforcing evidence for these (Hindu, Theosophical, etcetera) beliefs.

• Like 2

I can't believe people still believe in this stuff. Yeah, I actually can. People still think astrology is a legit thing too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I can't believe people still believe in this stuff. Yeah, I actually can. People still think astrology is a legit thing too.

Over half your personality is biological. The rest "learned behavior". 

I'm looking through Academia at some counter arguments. One suggestion is these kids are getting coached. I tend to agree. 

But if the chemtrail BS has been resurrected (my former fire chief is on a roll about them) what other crap will crop up. Between the political situations and this woo being dragged up, I feel like I'm back in 1975 again. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Piney said:

Over half your personality is biological. The rest "learned behavior". 

I'm looking through Academia at some counter arguments. One suggestion is these kids are getting coached. I tend to agree. 

But if the chemtrail BS has been resurrected (my former fire chief is on a roll about them) what other crap will crop up. Between the political situations and this woo being dragged up, I feel like I'm back in 1975 again. 

We live in the age of misinformation/disinformation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Far fetched but this could be some form of genetic memory? I saw a movie where they were throwing slaves off a ship, chained together to drown. It really upset me and scared me deeply. I found this strange because I usually take movies with a grain of salt. I found out later some of my ancestors were African slaves brought over.

34 minutes ago, openozy said:

Far fetched but this could be some form of genetic memory? I saw a movie where they were throwing slaves off a ship, chained together to drown. It really upset me and scared me deeply. I found this strange because I usually take movies with a grain of salt. I found out later some of my ancestors were African slaves brought over.

Is that the one where in the end they find out by the ships log records that there was a change in the weight of the ship at one point and end up convicting the captain i think?

1 hour ago, Razman said:

Is that the one where in the end they find out by the ships log records that there was a change in the weight of the ship at one point and end up convicting the captain i think?

It was a while ago but I think so mate.

• Like 1

The most curious thing I was asked was by a small girl (about six?) was: "Why were you not born as a girl?"

I still wonder about her perspective.

16 hours ago, openozy said:

Many of these reincarnation narratives appear passed between non-relatives, and also  sometimes include memories just shortly before death.

If your ancestors were slaves on that ship then they died without passing down a genetic memory?

There is another theoretical possible way for a memory to be passed down genetically - by way of contagious viruses carrying small payloads of RNA. With the RNA seeming to be a memory in the mind's eye of the infected.

• Confused 1

Yeah...right, umm....no. The same drooling toddlers who claim to recall a past life can't even remember that less than two minutes ago you told them to pick up their toys.

Not exactly scoring big on the scale of legitimacy here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember my daughter told me that my grandson told her he watched her while he was still living on the sun before he was born.   Then when he had a hard time at daycare he would pretend to sleep at nap time and watch her working.   It was strange and seemed like a story until he started asking her about things on her desk, he had never been to her work or seen her desk.   He also would giver her messages from her dead fiance until he was about 7.   We are more than the sum of our parts and we are not here by some biological "accident".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My kid did a paper on epigenetics in college that I proofread for him.  In the days before AI, I was the best he could get.  I got interested enough to follow his references.

Epigenetics” is an emerging area of scientific research that shows how environmental influences—children's experiences—actually affect the expression of their genes. This means the old idea that genes are “set in stone” has been disproven.

https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/what-is-epigenetics-and-how-does-it-relate-to-child-development/#:~:text=“Epigenetics” is an emerging area,in stone” has been disproven.

Epigenetics and Child Development: How Children’s Experiences Affect Their Genes

That may apply to experiences  infants have before we normally think they are aware of surroundings.  Experience can influence the expression of genes, and that seems to make the nature / nurture boundary a bit fuzzy.  That seems to imply that experiences of an individual, could influence the genes they pass to progeny.  Pretty shocking if true.

This goes beyond any epigenetic research, but I wonder if any of our thought structure, personality, and personal quirks are determined by genetics. 

We know there is brain coding for instinct and recognize the role that plays in animals.  I wonder if genetics can influence humans with inherited snippets of memory.  No proof of that at all, JMO. It would imply DNA might record a memory transferrable to an offspring. 

That would be an unexpected turn of events.  Another explanation for reincarnation memories?  Probably not too popular.  it does not require an immortal soul or a higher plain, just an ancestor's experience coded in A,C,T,G arrangement.

on one of our genes used to control brain architecture.  

Edited by Tatetopa
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

My kid did a paper on epigenetics in college that I proofread for him.  In the days before AI, I was the best he could get.  I got interested enough to follow his references.

Epigenetics” is an emerging area of scientific research that shows how environmental influences—children's experiences—actually affect the expression of their genes. This means the old idea that genes are “set in stone” has been disproven.

https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/what-is-epigenetics-and-how-does-it-relate-to-child-development/#:~:text=“Epigenetics” is an emerging area,in stone” has been disproven.

Epigenetics and Child Development: How Children’s Experiences Affect Their Genes

That may apply to experiences  infants have before we normally think they are aware of surroundings.  Experience can influence the expression of genes, and that seems to make the nature / nurture boundary a bit fuzzy.  That seems to imply that experiences of an individual, could influence the genes they pass to progeny.  Pretty shocking if true.

This goes beyond any epigenetic research, but I wonder if any of our thought structure, personality, and personal quirks are determined by genetics. 

We know there is brain coding for instinct and recognize the role that plays in animals.  I wonder if genetics can influence humans with inherited snippets of memory.  No proof of that at all, JMO. It would imply DNA might record a memory transferrable to an offspring. 

That would be an unexpected turn of events.  Another explanation for reincarnation memories?  Probably not too popular.  it does not require an immortal soul or a higher plain, just an ancestor's experience coded in A,C,T,G arrangement.

on one of our genes used to control brain architecture.  

That is intersting, we have no way to know where the memories come from and that might be part of it.   Even if it is possible or actually happens though, it does not explain all the memories children bring up about a different life.  Some have been proven to be of people that did exist and were not related to the child.  And that brings me to remembering another 3 year old I knew who worried about his wife and kids.   He talked about them until he was about 5.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is intersting, we have no way to know where the memories come from and that might be part of it.   Even if it is possible or actually happens though, it does not explain all the memories children bring up about a different life.  Some have been proven to be of people that did exist and were not related to the child.  And that brings me to remembering another 3 year old I knew who worried about his wife and kids.   He talked about them until he was about 5.  

yes and certainly not memories of a violent death.  Those would not get [assed on.

• Like 2