Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Personality Traits Increase Likelihood of Sightings?


Recommended Posts

According to findings in a recent study, UFO witnesses may not be prone to misperceptions or related cognitive factors but instead may possess specific personality traits that increase their likelihood of encountering such phenomena. 

Their study examines the big five personality traits: extraversion, neuroticism, openness, agreeableness, and conscientiousness, along with schizotypy traits (behaviors that resemble schizophrenia), to help determine if UAP experiencers could be distinguished from those who had not reported seeing a UAP.

Link

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Its a contentious subject.

Are some people programed, by chance or design, and see things that are not everyday events?

The idea is only undone by the lack of enough evidence to support, beyond reasonable doubt, that people did witness a quite mysterious event.

I have to disclose an interest in this idea and many years ago and in a different place asked forum members to take a personality test and categorise any 

paranormal experience they might have had.

The sample size was small and no personality types stood out as a better see'er of the strange. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't say personality traits dictate this. Other behavioral health related matters might come into play but not personality. That is unless you have multiple personalities.

Shut up, you'll ruin everything!!!!

Who said that???

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Its a contentious subject.

Are some people programed, by chance or design, and see things that are not everyday events?

The idea is only undone by the lack of enough evidence to support, beyond reasonable doubt, that people did witness a quite mysterious event.

I have to disclose an interest in this idea and many years ago and in a different place asked forum members to take a personality test and categorise any 

paranormal experience they might have had.

The sample size was small and no personality types stood out as a better see'er of the strange. 

 

 

I think that most people who keep experiencing "paranormal phenomenon" have what is known as a fantasy prone personality.

An overactive imagination can be lots of fun when we are kids, even as adults... but its also really important to be able to separate fiction from reality.

 

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hazzard said:

 

I think that most people who keep experiencing "paranormal phenomenon" have what is known as a fantasy prone personality.

An overactive imagination can be lots of fun when we are kids, even as adults... but its also really important to be able to separate fiction from reality.

 

Here we go again. Now we have armchair psychologists using their decades of experience to judge anyone who doesn't agree with them. A pathetic ploy that's most amusing. Is smacks of a deep seated need to pidgeon hole people. Perhaps it comes from a childhood filled with negativity, and being told nothing is real except for what you see with your own eyes.

See, two can play this game too.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Or growing up and not living in make-believe. Lol nice try hanky.😂

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hazzard said:

 

I think that most people who keep experiencing "paranormal phenomenon" have what is known as a fantasy prone personality.

An overactive imagination can be lots of fun when we are kids, even as adults... but its also really important to be able to separate fiction from reality.

 

So you in a very factual non emotional way make the glaring point that kids are expected to be fantasy based imaginative and credious and as they age hopefully they began to realize the difference between reality and make believe.

But some adults keep that childhood mindset and we see that in those who insite their experiences must me can only be paranormal not unlike a child who can't accept Santa was make believe.

31 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Here we go again. Now we have armchair psychologists using their decades of experience to judge anyone who doesn't agree with them. A pathetic ploy that's most amusing. Is smacks of a deep seated need to pidgeon hole people. Perhaps it comes from a childhood filled with negativity, and being told nothing is real except for what you see with your own eyes.

See, two can play this game too.

And now we see Hank's very emotional response to anything that might rock his fantasy based reality box he has created as a comfort zone , he goes into nearly unhinged ad hominem insults on anyone with a differing opinion to his, showing just how deeply personal the subject is to him, sorry Hank even things we think we see with our own eyes might not be real, ie hallucinations.
Hank, try to relax Hazzard wasn't playing a game this thread wasn't some attempt at a got cha on you you don't need a kiddie play ground tit for tat.

 

33 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Or growing up and not living in make-believe. Lol nice try hanky.😂

This all sums up the original post and link rather well, can you imagine how it would feel to have your whole world shaken because you found comfort in make believe.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hazzard said:

 

I think that most people who keep experiencing "paranormal phenomenon" have what is known as a fantasy prone personality.

An overactive imagination can be lots of fun when we are kids, even as adults... but its also really important to be able to separate fiction from reality.

 

I agree, but this:

UFO witnesses may not be prone to misperceptions or related cognitive factors

seemed to rule out their personality causing their encounters, so to speak.  Or maybe I just misunderstand what their intent was in the language.  My only experience with this topic was back in 1973.  My first cousin - she was around 14 years my senior - and her son, who was five, I believe, saw what they described as an alien of small stature and gray skin with big eyes.  This was in a rural community among some religious types who had never had any kind of such experiences before.  To this day, she and her son still say it really happened.  They saw the creature but did not physically interact with it.  They said they felt like it was aware of them.

That was in South Alabama about 30-35 miles from the coast at around the same time that the Pascagoula MS, abduction occurred.  I don't particularly believe or disbelieve these things are "aliens".  I just don't know but I'd bevery hesitant to accept them as some super race that makes contact someday and tells us they can solve all our problems. ;) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, and-then said:

I agree, but this:

UFO witnesses may not be prone to misperceptions or related cognitive factors

seemed to rule out their personality causing their encounters, so to speak.  Or maybe I just misunderstand what their intent was in the language.  My only experience with this topic was back in 1973.  My first cousin - she was around 14 years my senior - and her son, who was five, I believe, saw what they described as an alien of small stature and gray skin with big eyes.  This was in a rural community among some religious types who had never had any kind of such experiences before.  To this day, she and her son still say it really happened.  They saw the creature but did not physically interact with it.  They said they felt like it was aware of them.

That was in South Alabama about 30-35 miles from the coast at around the same time that the Pascagoula MS, abduction occurred.  I don't particularly believe or disbelieve these things are "aliens".  I just don't know but I'd bevery hesitant to accept them as some super race that makes contact someday and tells us they can solve all our problems. ;) 

The pascagoula case I have researched and blown off to hoax etc not aliens but the alien the guy described was different.

5TYA3ODYNZE7DGCM4JVTZGWL4U.jpg?auth=fe1c

Elephant skin, carrot nose and ears, very odd.

While believers here know I like supporting evidence I have zero reason not to believe you were told this story, so next do you have any reason to think the lady would make it up to have fun?
If that's a no, then they saw something, since I don't believe aliens have ever been here I wonder what the devil they saw and described the best they could, did she say what she thought it was and why.
I wonder about the area how far away was it and why didn't they approach it, I wonder anyone else saw it.

I drive from eustis to Sanford and back for work a couple times a week, about 25 miles one way and they have been doing road work the last few years, the area is country but developed,
One night coming home tired about 230 am I see on the side of the rode what I was sure for a moment was a goblin gremlin or weird kangaroo type creature, keeping in mind I don't believe in such things ( except kangaroos which shouldn't be there  )
I slowed down quickly, then I see what it really was, a coyote taking a dump.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Hazzard said:

 

I think that most people who keep experiencing "paranormal phenomenon" have what is known as a fantasy prone personality.

An overactive imagination can be lots of fun when we are kids, even as adults... but its also really important to be able to separate fiction from reality.

 

Fabulists.  There are a few around these here parts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Hazzard said:

 

I think that most people who keep experiencing "paranormal phenomenon" have what is known as a fantasy prone personality.

An overactive imagination can be lots of fun when we are kids, even as adults... but its also really important to be able to separate fiction from reality.

 

I dare say that is part of what is going on.

But generally all paranormal topics are given short shrift whether deserving of rational attention or not. 

Witnesses are unreliable or worse, making things up, is the default mantra. 

The subject of ball shaped flying objects was also given the same treatment, yet more recently this phenomenon is considered to be some type of ball lightning.

A scientific reality.

Now, the witnesses of this particular type of flying object would have to be re categorised as potentially providing accurate descriptions of real events.

If a whole sub section of ufo witnesses have to be given more credit when observing and reporting such events it would be reasonable to expect a re-evaluation of other witness descriptions of different objects previously ignored as substandard data.

It seems the approach taken by the rational branch of the ufo community need to reevaluate, how they assess reports, so sound observations are not ignored, like spherical objects, and treated instead as viable ? and perhaps not all pigeon holed as produced by people with a fantasy prone personality. 😉

Edited by L.A.T.1961
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first reaction when I read the title was 'yes'.  But the study isn't focusing on where my thoughts went.

It kind of make sense that people with for instance ASD have a higher sighting rate.  But that can be easily explained because they are known to have better observation capabilities and will spot details/changes more easily.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
On 6/18/2024 at 7:23 PM, Trelane said:

Or growing up and not living in make-believe. Lol nice try hanky.😂

living in make-believe, which is what sceptics in here do. It's even to the point now that your military claims that "UAPs exist".

imagine that B)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

living in make-believe, which is what sceptics in here do. It's even to the point now that your military claims that "UAPs exist".

imagine that B)

I have never said they didn't exist. i have simply said they aren't extraterrestrial craft (make believe).:tu:

Man, you're like broken record. I get it, remembering stuff past all of you're lying you've done with other posters is hard. 

All these years later, Earl's still punching at air. How embarrassing.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Trelane said:

I have never said they didn't exist. i have simply said they aren't extraterrestrial craft (make believe).:tu:

Man, you're like broken record. I get it, remembering stuff past all of you're lying you've done with other posters is hard. 

All these years later, Earl's still punching at air. How embarrassing.

 

 

 

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF PHILIP J. KLASS

To ufologists who publicly criticize me, ... or who even think unkind thoughts about me in private, I do hereby leave and bequeath: THE UFO CURSE:

No matter how long you live, you will never know any more about UFOs than you know today. You will never know any more about what UFOs really are, or where they come from. You will never know any more about what the U.S. Government really knows about UFOs than you know today. As you lie on your own death-bed you will be as mystified about UFOs as you are today. And you will remember this curse.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_J._Klass#The_UFO_curse

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2024 at 7:58 PM, the13bats said:

 

And now we see Hank's very emotional response to anything that might rock his fantasy based reality box he has created as a comfort zone , he goes into nearly unhinged 

Pointing out none of you are even close to qualified in regards to mentally evaluating others is neither emotional or unhinged. 
 

And it is pathetic to believe otherwise. 
 

But hey if you think people playing arm chair psychiatrist makes them “factual” have at it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Pointing out none of you are even close to qualified in regards to mentally evaluating others is neither emotional or unhinged. 
 

And it is pathetic to believe otherwise. 
 

But hey if you think people playing arm chair psychiatrist makes them “factual” have at it. 

Thanks for sharing your "knowledge" of all the anonymous posters in this topic.

Now what have you got to say about the researchers at Cardiff Metropolitan University?  Or better yet, what a

Have you got to say about their study? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure a specific personality trait is to 'blame'. People have convictions or assumptions about things. Some might question things a lot more than others. Then there are those who have invested a lot of time into a belief of some sort. They might have a 'meter' that tells everyone what percent convinced they are of something. In in this thread we have people arguing over who's beliefs are the right beliefs. It may just come down to a combination of both cognitive and confirmation bias. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Thanks for sharing your "knowledge" of all the anonymous posters in this topic.

You are welcome. 

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Now what have you got to say about the researchers at Cardiff Metropolitan University?  Or better yet, what a

Have you got to say about their study? 

Nothing really. I have no opinion. Guess I’ll bow this one out. Good day GD

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.