Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gobekli Tepe And connections to Biblical history


Unusual Tournament

Recommended Posts

Genesis 8:20 - Upon leaving the Ark, Noah built an altar where he sacrificed “every clean animal and bird”

The Pillars of Gobekli Tepe widely depict various birds and animals (many of which are not known to originate from the area)

Gobekli Tepe is in Turkey and the Fertile Crescent and so is Mt. Ararat - the alleged location where the Ark landed following the Flood

Gobekli Tepe dates to 11,600yrs, the same time of the ‘Younger Dryas’ climate catastrophe - which resulted in ~400ft rise in Global sea-levels

Gobekli Tepe appears purposely buried. Perhaps even flood related.
 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is doesn't jive with the known history of Atlantis, FL.

 

 

 

Oh yeah and Atlantis 2 in Mauritania. Sheeesh, I wish people would study stuff first.😜

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Genesis 8:20 - Upon leaving the Ark, Noah built an altar where he sacrificed “every clean animal and bird”

The Pillars of Gobekli Tepe widely depict various birds and animals (many of which are not known to originate from the area)

Gobekli Tepe is in Turkey and the Fertile Crescent and so is Mt. Ararat - the alleged location where the Ark landed following the Flood

Gobekli Tepe dates to 11,600yrs, the same time of the ‘Younger Dryas’ climate catastrophe - which resulted in ~400ft rise in Global sea-levels

Gobekli Tepe appears purposely buried. Perhaps even flood related.
 

No relation to the Old Testament.  That story was traced to the Sumerians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_flood_narrative  Gobekli Tepe is not located within Sumeria... or even near Sumeria.

Also, the "400 ft rise in global sea levels" was a very slow rise.  You could have dealt with it by rebuilding your house every few years.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

While Wikipedia is a good starting point, you might want to take care.  This article covers ALL snake worship (and is a bit suspect, as Egyptians might venerate snakes but only worship a few cobra-type deities) and is a mixed bag of timelines.  Vaudon (Voodoo), for instance, is a more modern practice and doesn't date back to the time of (for example) Sumeria.

Same with the Serpent Mound.  As @Piney said, it dates to more recent times and the symbolism is well-known.

Also, the animals on the GT pillars were known to the people of the area and were seen by them.  See this blog by one of the GT researchers https://www.dainst.blog/the-tepe-telegrams/2016/08/16/emblematic-signs-on-the-iconography-of-animals-at-gobekli-tepe/

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So noah saved loads of animals,then killed them when they found land?....what a dick.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

So noah saved loads of animals,then killed them when they found land?....what a dick.

He also left the unicorns behind.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

He also left the unicorns behind.

I heard someone say unicorns are mentioned in the bible but they were describing rhino's....any truth in it.?

Very much doubt it but theres plenty wacky stuff in it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah it’s from an old folk song about Noah and the Flood. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

I heard someone say unicorns are mentioned in the bible but they were describing rhino's....any truth in it.?

Very much doubt it but theres plenty wacky stuff in it.

Some theorize the Iranian "evil unicorn", the Shadhavar was a memory of the Elasmotherian when the ancestors of the Indo-Europeans still roamed the forest steppe zone. Other's think it was a rhino. 

That's where your probably getting mixed up. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

I heard someone say unicorns are mentioned in the bible but they were describing rhino's....any truth in it.?

Very much doubt it but theres plenty wacky stuff in it.

 

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Some theorize the Iranian "evil unicorn", the Shadhavar was a memory of the Elasmotherian when the ancestors of the Indo-Europeans still roamed the forest steppe zone. Other's think it was a rhino. 

That's where your probably getting mixed up. 

An absolute badass.

63A105CE-D1AE-4CE1-8B30-990EF5EDA088.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

 

An absolute badass.

63A105CE-D1AE-4CE1-8B30-990EF5EDA088.jpeg

Both the Persians and the Scythians had the legend so I'm under the impression it was some sort of wooly rhino considering the EHG and ANE contributed to the ancestry in the IE. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Antigonos said:

He also left the unicorns behind.

But he saved Bigfoot...

*runs out the door covering head*

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

An absolute badass.

63A105CE-D1AE-4CE1-8B30-990EF5EDA088.jpeg

Wow. Don't drop the soap around that guy. 

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

No relation to the Old Testament.  That story was traced to the Sumerians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_flood_narrative  Gobekli Tepe is not located within Sumeria... or even near Sumeria.

Also, the "400 ft rise in global sea levels" was a very slow rise.  You could have dealt with it by rebuilding your house every few years.

At this point let’s remember we’re dealing with 12,000 years of Chinese whispers. Just look at the similarities with an open mind

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

At this point let’s remember we’re dealing with 12,000 years of Chinese whispers. Just look at the similarities with an open mind

But overlaid with many many tales of catastrophic floods in the same area, told over the same time.  Is there any scrap of unique tale there?

Heck, in more recent history, we see how quickly these tales disappear (like the destruction of Black Wall Street that happened in 1921.  Very significant, but unremembered until recently, although there are still living survivors https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/05/24/us/tulsa-race-massacre.html)  Or the Great Molasses Flood.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, diddyman68 said:

I heard someone say unicorns are mentioned in the bible but they were describing rhino's....any truth in it.?

Very much doubt it but theres plenty wacky stuff in it.

The word wasn't unicorn, but "monoceros."

Easton's Bible Dictionary has (IMHO) the best explanation:  

Unicorn: described as an animal of great ferocity and strength (Num 23:22, R.V., "wild ox," marg., "ox-antelope; 24:8; Isa 34:7, R.V., "wild oxen"), and untamable (Job 39:9). It was in reality a two-horned animal; but the exact reference of the word so rendered (reem) is doubtful. Some have supposed it to be the buffalo; others, the white antelope, called by the Arabs rim. Most probably, however, the word denotes the Bos primigenius ("primitive ox"), which is now extinct all over the world. This was the auerochs of the Germans, and the urus described by Caesar (Gal. Bel., vi.28) as inhabiting the Hercynian forest. The word thus rendered has been found in an Assyrian inscription written over the wild ox or bison, which some also suppose to be the animal intended (Deu 33:17; Psa 22:21; 29:6; 92:10).

The fact that the word appears in older, non-Biblical inscriptions over a picture of a wild ox seems very significant.

Other Biblical dictionaries seem to concur: https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/Dictionary/viewTopic.cfm?topic=BT0004318

And the King James dictionary agrees, giving a particularly pertinent section of the Bible that describes the "unicorn" more generally: 

Unicorn: Wild Ox. --Will the UNICORN be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the UNICORN with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him? Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn? (Job 39:9-12)

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/Dictionary/viewTopic.cfm?topic=KT0000772

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Piney said:

Creating a fatal genetic bottleneck in all of them.

Sorry.....couldn't resist......I'll see my way out. 😬

You need to ask God’s forgiveness otherwise it’s straight to hell for you

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kenemet said:

But overlaid with many many tales of catastrophic floods in the same area, told over the same time.  Is there any scrap of unique tale there?

Heck, in more recent history, we see how quickly these tales disappear (like the destruction of Black Wall Street that happened in 1921.  Very significant, but unremembered until recently, although there are still living survivors https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/05/24/us/tulsa-race-massacre.html)  Or the Great Molasses Flood.

 

Well it reads like you’ve inadvertently answered your own question by admitting that there is more than one flood story coming from this immediate area. So maybe not unique but certainly ingrained into the psyche of the local people. Which makes it unique in its own right

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Well it reads like you’ve inadvertently answered your own question by admitting that there is more than one flood story coming from this immediate area. So maybe not unique but certainly ingrained into the psyche of the local people. Which makes it unique in its own right

The Algonquian flood legend was probably the Lake Missoula outbursts. After looking through the Channeled Scablands which was created by them I can imagine something like that being burnt into memory. 

The Lake Agassiz outbursts which were more enormous were probably the Iroquoian-Siouian flood legend.

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kenemet said:

No relation to the Old Testament.  That story was traced to the Sumerians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_flood_narrative  Gobekli Tepe is not located within Sumeria... or even near Sumeria.

Also, the "400 ft rise in global sea levels" was a very slow rise.  You could have dealt with it by rebuilding your house every few years.

Maybe Sumerians were once of a culture whose ancestors did inhabit around Turkey.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.