Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Louisiana becomes 1st state requiring Ten Commandments be posted in classrooms

OverSword

Louisiana is now the first state in the U.S. to require the Ten Commandments be posted in all school classrooms.

Why it matters: The new law, signed Wednesday by Gov. Jeff Landry, will face immediate legal challenges.

The big picture: Other states, including Texas, South Carolina and Utah recently attempted similar measures, but none got their bills across the legislative finish line with the same requirement as Louisiana's.

Link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I saw this on the news tonight. It is definitely being challenged. Louisiana is requiring they be posted in all classrooms from pre-school to state funded colleges.

• Like 4

Cool. Let's see how many Evangelicals spontaneously burst into flames upon gazing at it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Kentucky did something similar more than 40 years ago. That provision was struck down 5-4 by SCOTUS without a hearing.

https://firstamendment.mtsu.edu/article/stone-v-graham/

I suppose Louisiana reckons the 2024 Court is different from the 1980 Court, and that the accompanying notice specified in the statute (a  four paragraph "context statement" must appear alongside the Ten) will cover the "secular purpose" needed for a state to get involved in religion to this extent.

• Like 5

Better yet put those up in all the state political offices.  7-10 might give them a lot of trouble.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Texas tried this last year and failed didn't they?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

What if they just called it 10 rules to live by and changed thall shalt not to don't?

I don't know all the commandments but the Bible doesn't own moral codes. Don't cheat and don't kill are great mottos that anyone can get behind. The messages are still clear and the church and state issue becomes extremely arguable imo. Quit being such purists and this could be won. 

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, F3SS said:

What if they just called it 10 rules to live by and changed thall shalt not to don't?

I don't know all the commandments but the Bible doesn't own moral codes. Don't cheat and don't kill are great mottos that anyone can get behind. The messages are still clear and the church and state issue becomes extremely arguable imo. Quit being such purists and this could be won. 

I don't think the point of all this is to give the kids 10 rules to live by because I have already seen stuff like that in my kid's school and no one cares.

• Like 5

1. Why christianity?  IIRC, there's a rather important statement in your constitution on the topic of giving preference to one religion..

2. Why not all the biblical recommendations?.  I'm not a great fan of fiction ... but aren't there a whole pile of justifications in the Bible, for being put to death

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, F3SS said:

The first 4 has more to do with the foundation of a theocracy.

• Like 4

I really don't know why but I don't think any one religion should hail over all the countless others in public schools or on money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

The first 4 has more to do with the foundation of a theocracy.

Well, there is some precedent for abbreviating the commandments:

Maybe Lousiana can get by with the secular six-and-a-half:

Humor your parents.

Don't kill anybody you don't need to.

Don't cheat on your spouse.

Don't steal.

Don't tell lies about people.

Don't get the hots for anybody who's married to somebody else...

... and extra credit if you don't obsess about other people having more and better stuff than you do.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

2. Why not all the biblical recommendations?.  I'm not a great fan of fiction ... but aren't there a whole pile of justifications in the Bible, for being put to death

Many countries still have the death penalty. The US is one. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eight bits said:

Well, there is some precedent for abbreviating the commandments:

Maybe Lousiana can get by with the secular six-and-a-half:

Humor your parents.

Don't kill anybody you don't need to.

Don't cheat on your spouse.

Don't steal.

Don't tell lies about people.

Don't get the hots for anybody who's married to somebody else...

... and extra credit if you don't obsess about other people having more and better stuff than you do.

What would be the point of cherry picking?

Many people treat the Ten Commandments of the Law in the same way. They think that Allah, after giving the Ten Commandments, meant, “Attempt any five of your choice from these Ten”. But no, this was not how it was given. They were to obey and keep ALL the commands, not just some of them. Only in keeping all the Law would it ‘become their righteousness’.

But why do some people treat the Law like this? Because the law is very difficult to keep, especially since this is not just for a day but for your entire life. So it is easy for us to deceive ourselves and lower the standard. ....Since these are the basic commands that deal with idolatry, the worship of One God, adultery, stealing, murder, lying etc. they are timeless and so we all need to obey them.

Sign 2 of Musa: The Law - Euro Al-Injil (injeel.me)

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, F3SS said:

Isn't the fact that they are Biblical rules the whole point? All societies have laws governing behaviors such as false witness, murder, working time directives, etc. But only the Bible can modernise them.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, pellinore said:

What would be the point of cherry picking?

Because one person's cherry picking is somebody else's critical thinking. This would be expecially true of an Islamic apologist expressing their obviously totally objective perspective on Christianity, as presented in your post.

When applied to evidence, chery picking is malpractice. When applied to mandates supposedly from invisible powers, cherry picking is not being a total fool.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, F3SS said:

The 1st 4 commandments are basically God being a jealous whiny b**ch. And then there's the one about adultery which the people pushing this whole stupid thing should be against exposing to children if they weren't just hateful, bigoted hypocrites. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Because one person's cherry picking is somebody else's critical thinking. ..... When applied to mandates supposedly from invisible powers, cherry picking is not being a total fool.

But that would mean there is no point using the 10 Commandments at all. You might as well use existing legislation and morals as guidance. Bringing in the 10 Commandments is an attempt to modernise the existing code, isn't it? 

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

1. Why christianity?  IIRC, there's a rather important statement in your constitution on the topic of giving preference to one religion..

Yes. One such sin is calling somebody bald. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pellinore said:

But that would mean there is no point using the 10 Commandments at all. You might as well use existing legislation and morals as guidance. Bringing in the 10 Commandments is an attempt to modernise the existing code, isn't it? 

The point is a protracted negotiation between the states and the federal government over the inherently contradictory First Amendment "establishment clause." Contrary to atheist mantra, some individual states that ultimately joined the United States were in fact established as Christian sovreignities. As late as 1960, one of those states had a religious test for public office - no belief in God, no state office.

Anyway, Louisiana is going to lose this one. A suggestion that has been brewing in this thread would probably work: really modernize the thing, finesse the first few mandates with AA's term "higher power" rather than "God," and ditch the word commandments. That really could fly, but this farce is not about kids or moral instruction.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I don't think the point of all this is to give the kids 10 rules to live by because I have already seen stuff like that in my kid's school and no one cares.

Yea I know what the intent is here but they're never going to win if they don't find a compromise such as my suggestion. Ntm these things always bring in the lunatics from the church of Satan which I'm not sure how they've ever received any validation at all but so long as they're a recognized religion they have a valid argument to be seen as well.

10 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Yea I know what the intent is here but they're never going to win if they don't find a compromise such as my suggestion. Ntm these things always bring in the lunatics from the church of Satan which I'm not sure how they've ever received any validation at all but so long as they're a recognized religion they have a valid argument to be seen as well.

The lunatics from the Church of Satan are just athiests that have reworded 11 things to live by.  Heck, commandment #9- Do not harm little children.  What's wrong with that?

8 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

The lunatics from the Church of Satan are just athiests that have reworded 11 things to live by.  Heck, commandment #9- Do not harm little children.  What's wrong with that?

Ha well ok but they can't be atheists if they claim to be a religion and militant atheists are incredible zeleouts in their own right. 

17 hours ago, F3SS said:

Then you can trim it down to one “don’t be a d*******”. 

• Like 3