Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

QM EP5: The Yeti: is the Abominable Snowman a real animal ?


Recommended Posts

 
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Saru said:

This is one of the possibilities discussed in the video.

Yep, and we can see  bigfoot sighting in the US/Canada appearing in new regions with the extension of the range and populations of brown and black bears. 

iStock-172192518.jpg

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good video.

I enjoy how hair analysis, if used to support the existence of XYZ, is universally derided, whereas if it is used to deny the existence of XYZ, is sacrosanct.  The parallels....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought it was already confirmed to be nothing more but the Himalayan brown bear?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a possibility. it was determined by a research expedition that took multiple eDNA samples as well as tested alleged Yeti hair samples. 

Conclusion/Findings: bear

Case Closed

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Trelane said:

Not a possibility. it was determined by a research expedition that took multiple eDNA samples as well as tested alleged Yeti hair samples. 

Conclusion/Findings: bear

Case Closed

It was determined that the hair samples were from bears, that doesn't prove that every sighting of the Yeti throughout history was a bear.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know bears can stand upright, but it isn't usually for very long, is it? I mean, they don't walk upright for long distances as in some of the sightings of Yeti.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 1951, British explorer Eric Shipton found a footprint on the Menlung Glacier near Mount Everest. The photo of this footprint became iconic in Yeti lore. The prints appeared human-like but with a thumb, sparking curiosity and numerous expeditions.

 

 

IMG_2916.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Saru said:

It was determined that the hair samples were from bears, that doesn't prove that every sighting of the Yeti throughout history was a bear.

No, what it proves what is known to actually exist and has existed in the geographic reported region. 

It stands to reason the alleged sightings fall into a couple categories. Misidentifications and tall tales (hoaxes) being the main two. Sightings are cool, but they have not stood up to scientific scrutiny. Amazingly the number of yeti sightings has tailed off strikingly since the eDNA sample results were revealed. Curious don't you think?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Amazingly the number of yeti sightings has tailed off strikingly since the eDNA sample results were revealed. Curious don't you think?

Do you have a source for this ?

I'm not trying to push a narrative in favor of the Yeti's existence, but I also don't think we can conclude 100% that bears alone account for every sighting.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, Saru said:

Do you have a source for this ?

I'm not trying to push a narrative in favor of the Yeti's existence, but I also don't think we can conclude 100% that bears alone account for every sighting.

That alleged sightings have trailed off? Yeah, not too many articles sensationalizing a "Climber gets astonishing glimpse of fabled creature" headlines. Not even here in the forums from our strongest proponents of that sort of creature.

 

If it's the bear conclusion, then we'll start here for a succinct summary.

"Science solves the mystery of the elusive Yeti"

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/28/health/yeti-scientific-proof-study/index.html

“We didn’t set out to debunk the myth. We were open-minded, and we did learn something,” said Lindqvist, a scientist in the department of biological sciences at the University at Buffalo. She is currently a visiting associate professor at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.

“I’m not an expert in the Yeti legend, I’m not an anthropologist, but as someone who works with genetics, I thought this is the kind of the work that could tell an interesting story.”

"Lindqvist used mitochondrial DNA sequencing to examine 24 “Yeti” samples including hair, bone, skin and feces.

"The new study is not the first to point in this direction. A 2014 genetic analysis of 30 hair samples from “anomalous primates” believed to be Yetis came from a variety of better-known animals like a Paleolithic polar bear, other bears and dogs. One sample was believed to be from a hybrid bear, but that idea has come under question.

"Though Yeti devotees may be disappointed in this latest news, Lindqvist was not. The findings, she said, will help scientists better understand the history and evolution of local bears."

"The Himalayan brown bear is a subpopulation of the more commonly found brown bear that is critically endangered and threatened with extinction. The Asian black bear, known for its dark fur and a white “collar” of fur around its neck, is listed by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature as vulnerable. Both are threatened by illegal hunting, trade in parts and loss of habitat."

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 5:36 AM, ouija ouija said:

I know bears can stand upright, but it isn't usually for very long, is it? I mean, they don't walk upright for long distances as in some of the sightings of Yeti.

Exactly. you see the tracks laid down by a bipedal creature, as it never gets on all four. And yes, those tracks often go very far. But as long as I have followed BF, 
I have never seen a case where mysterious footprints suddenly turn into prints by a 4-legged creature. Also, those footprints are not that of a bear's.

One last word: several states have no bears but do have BF sightings.

Uh ohhh :whistle:

 

 

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 2:36 AM, ouija ouija said:

I know bears can stand upright, but it isn't usually for very long, is it? I mean, they don't walk upright for long distances as in some of the sightings of Yeti.

You're right. Also, because of their physiology, they walk with their front paws elevated forward from their body. Not like a hominid with a swinging gait. I've seen at least 500 bears in my life, many upright walking sort of for a short distance, but never walking with a human gait. Most times they stand up to catch a better scent,fight, or to catch fish. Not once did I ever think one might be a Bigfoot. I'm with Saru on this.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 8:07 AM, WorldMysteries said:

In 1951, British explorer Eric Shipton found a footprint on the Menlung Glacier near Mount Everest. The photo of this footprint became iconic in Yeti lore. The prints appeared human-like but with a thumb, sparking curiosity and numerous expeditions.

 

 

IMG_2916.jpeg

Bears don't have retractable claws like a cat. Their tracks, especially in snow, are very unique with claw marks. This is not a bear track. I don't know what it is, but speaking from a life long trackers experience, it's no bear.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Exactly. you see the tracks laid down by a bipedal creature, as it never gets on all four. And yes, those tracks often go very far. But as long as I have followed BF, 
I have never seen a case where mysterious footprints suddenly turn into prints by a 4-legged creature. Also, those footprints are not that of a bear's.

One last word: several states have no bears but do have BF sightings.

Uh ohhh :whistle:

 

 

Which states? Are you sure they don't have bears? Careful, we've been down this road. No need to have a discussion go sideways over bears and turkeys and such. Yes, I still remember that discussion.😉

When you say tracks "often go very far" how far? The distance of the track fields of alleged creatures is never provided.🧐

Edited by Trelane
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.