Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Only known lorica squamata armor reassembled

The only known surviving Roman lorica squamata armor, discovered in a 2020 excavation at the ancient town of Satala in northeastern Turkey, has been reassembled. It dates to the Late Roman period (5th century A.D.) and is in remarkably intact condition.

Lorica squamata was made of small metal scales connected with wire into horizontal rows and then sewn to a leather or fabric tunic. Individual scales are not uncommon finds, but this is the first nearly complete set ever discovered.

Full story with pics and video:  The History Blog

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That looks to be quite tedious to assemble and you'd have to be very precise and patient to put all those pieces together. Pretty neat really.

• Like 5

That is very interesting, and it reminds me that Hollywood has done a good job reproducing that type of Roman outfit for films.  I just can’t help but wonder how effective those metal pieces would be in battle.  It looks like they were only sewn at the top, then they just kind of dangle over one another in overlapping rows.  I guess that makes it easier to move around maybe?  But, I don’t think I’d trust that gear to stop an arrow, spear, or sword.

• Like 1

Just now, Guyver said:

That is very interesting, and it reminds me that Hollywood has done a good job reproducing that type of Roman outfit for films.  I just can’t help but wonder how effective those metal pieces would be in battle.  It looks like they were only sewn at the top, then they just kind of dangle over one another in overlapping rows.  I guess that makes it easier to move around maybe?  But, I don’t think I’d trust that gear to stop an arrow, spear, or sword.

Actually the Central Asian nomads loved that style of armour for it's flexibility and ability to take a hit. Because the scales are overlap they can take a arrow hit to some extent. But it depends on the bow and type of arrow because some bows can blow through plate armour.

With swords they redistribute the impact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In addition to the protective value they provide, they have the advantage of using small pieces of iron,  like mail that is produced by first coiling wire,  one is not required to produce large uniform plates or have the special skills to shape them.  They can be repaired in the field probably by the soldier wearing them.    Its is always a trade off between several factors: level of protection versus cost, mobility, availability, and maintenance. It is cheaper than plate which is a major concern when  fielding an army.  Spend your money on a good helmet, broad shield, throwing spears and a sword.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bows+versus+armor+tod's+workshop&oq=bows+versus+armor+tod's+workshop&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRigATIHCAUQIRigATIHCAYQIRifBTIHCAcQIRifBTIHCAgQIRifBTIHCAkQIRifBdIBCTE5OTQ3ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#

https://todsworkshop.com/blogs/blog/arrows-v-s-armour-agincourt-myth-busting

This channel has done a whole series on arrows versus armor.  It appeals to the engineer in us by specifying draw strength and arrow weight, arrow head types testing several, by measuring arrow speed and by calculating  momentum  of projectiles.

Plate armor was the subject of several and I think chain maile and various  treated leathers are included in the series.  

They have also done videos on throwing pilum and plumbata.  For the artillery buffs, there is a ballista.  Its hard for anybody to remain unmoved  watching flaming bowling balls hurled by their large trebuchet.:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1