Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intense phase of war with Hamas about to end,’ focus to shift to Lebanon border, Netanyahu says

Grim Reaper 6

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that the “intense phase of the war with Hamas (in Gaza) is about to end,” and that the military’s focus could then shift to Israel’s northern border with Lebanon. “It doesn’t mean that the war is going to end, but the war in its current stage is going to end in Rafah. This is true. We will continue mowing the grass later,” Netanyahu told Channel 14 Television in his first one-on-one interview with local Israeli media since October 7.

Hezbollah, an Iran-backed Islamist movement with one of the most powerful paramilitary forces in the Middle East, has been carrying out deadly attacks from southern Lebanon targeting areas in northern Israel since October 8, the day after the Hamas attacks on Israel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/intense-phase-of-war-with-hamas-about-to-end-focus-to-shift-to-lebanon-border-netanyahu-says/ar-BB1oKuK3?cvid=14dfbf0b12bd46cee14ad2a3ee8414f4&ei=16

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Did they run out of refugee camps in Gaza to bomb already? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I lived in Lebanon and had the means to get out, right now seems like a good time...

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, and-then said:

If I lived in Lebanon and had the means to get out, right now seems like a good time...

Canada is reportedly planning a massive evacuation of 45,000 of its citizens from Lebanon should a full-scale war break out. No word yet if similar plans are being made for the 35,000 Canadian citizens living in Israel.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/israel-middle-east/canada-reportedly-preparing-to-evacuate-citizens-from-lebanon

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Did they run out of refugee camps in Gaza to bomb already? 

IDF spokesman says Hamas can't be destroyed, drawing response from Netanyahu | The Times of Israel

The IDF basically just said what we had already learned from George Bush, you can't kill an ideology.  History is littered with examples-  The Romans trying to kill Christians for instance.  

With no path to victory, I think they are turning towards Lebanon so they can make peace with Hamas without making peace. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

IDF spokesman says Hamas can't be destroyed, drawing response from Netanyahu | The Times of Israel

The IDF basically just said what we had already learned from George Bush, you can't kill an ideology.  History is littered with examples-  The Romans trying to kill Christians for instance.  

With no path to victory, I think they are turning towards Lebanon so they can make peace with Hamas without making peace. 

As many of us on here said.

Netanyahu is the single greatest recruitment tool hamas has had in decades. 

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Like 3

https://www.newsmax.com/world/globaltalk/israel-offensive-lebanon/2024/06/23/id/1169829/

After all of the failed predictions coming out of DC, you'd think they'd just shut up.  If Iran gives Israel that opening again, Netanyahu may just roll the dice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Gosh, if only someone had told them that before they started their doomed campaign.

Oh wait...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

*snip* The IDF needs to finish them as an organized fighting force in Gaza.  The insurgency that is sure to follow, will go on for years and there will be no reconstruction during that period because Israel will likely be continuing to turn buildings that Hamas fights from, into rubble.  Hagari didn't say Hamas couldn't be destroyed as an organized military force.  He said the ideology couldn't be destroyed.  Hell Nazism is still around 80 years later but no one is invading countries under its banner, are they?

Edited by Saru
Removed reference to now deleted post
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, and-then said:

Hagari didn't say Hamas couldn't be destroyed as an organized military force.  He said the ideology couldn't be destroyed.  Hell Nazism is still around 80 years later but no one is invading countries under its banner, are they?

Exactly,this little thought of "well they should have learned from the US's 20 years in Afghanistan" isn't really a real comparison...

The US and Afghanistan have far bigger logistics differences...Gaza is the backyard of Israel.

I'm waiting for someone to explain exactly how to deal with them then...

Appeasement doesn't work!

Iran got those billion back a year or two back,and looks like they've been putting it to use with...Fighters from all over the ME.

Yes,yes,yes... negotiate I suppose 😆 

If you don't kill enemy combatants,they just wind up recycled back into the hate machine during hostage/prisoner swaps...look at Hamas top guy himself, should have had his throat slit when Israel had the chance long ago... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Israeli Supreme Court rules that the military must begin drafting ultra-Orthodox men.

In a landmark ruling that threatens to unravel Israel's government, the country's Supreme Court has ordered the military to begin drafting ultra-Orthodox men, who've long been exempt from service.

Tuesday's decision was unanimous, and comes amid intensified public opposition to the policy following the Hamas-led attack on Israel last year, and the months-long war in Gaza that has strained the military's resources.

https://www.npr.org/2024/06/25/g-s1-6116/israeli-supreme-court-rules-that-the-military-must-begin-drafting-ultra-orthodox-men#:~:text=Life Kit-,Israeli Supreme Court rules that ultra-Orthodox men must be,Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's ruling coalition.

That may change the dynamics a bit.  Seems like if you believe that strongly, you outta be willing to fight for your beliefs, not let others die while you do nothing. How do you reject the modern world when it comes to your doorstep on hang gliders?

Edited by Saru
Added source link
  • Thanks 4

I was surprised to hear that 666 Israeli soldiers died so far and over 4000 were injured.   I expected losses similar to what the US suffered in a year in Afghanistan.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I was surprised to hear that 666 Israeli soldiers died so far and over 4000 were injured.   I expected losses similar to what the US suffered in a year in Afghanistan.

666 have died, that doesn’t seem like a coincidence it weird!:huh:

6 hours ago, Gromdor said:

That is terrible man, I am surprised that Israel doesn't have a better way to monitor the battle space to prevent this.:no:

40 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

That is terrible man, I am surprised that Israel doesn't have a better way to monitor the battle space to prevent this.:no:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this battlespace is as much underground as above it?  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, and-then said:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this battlespace is as much underground as above it?  

Like one of the guys said in one of Gromdors articles...the space is so confined and when a group of people go walking by and one jumps out on the attack,its all chaos.

This is the problem of fighting conventional warfare with guerilla style terrorists.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, and-then said:

With proper communication above ground or underground should make no difference. 

JIMHO

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

With proper communication above ground or underground should make no difference. 

JIMHO

You would know better than most of us here, but when there's intense fighting and chaos things could go south fast, could they not? I would think that even with the best of communications, mishaps will happen under such circumstances.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

You would know better than most of us here, but when there's intense fighting and chaos things could go south fast, could they not? I would think that even with the best of communications, mishaps will happen under such circumstances.

Thats is certainly true, no system is perfect. The US Military developed a system where the commander of the unit had a laptop that shows the locations of Troop Deployments in real time along with every friendly vehicles on the battlefield. When I was preparing for retirement in 2003, this system was just being fielded. They were also talking about a personal sensor that soldiers could mount on themselves so that every friendly individual soldier could also be seen. I am not currently up to date on this so I do not know how far it has been taken, but @Trelane may be able to add more information!

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Thats is certainly true, no system is perfect. The US Military developed a system where the commander of the unit had a laptop that shows the locations of Troop Deployments in real time along with every friendly vehicles on the battlefield. When I was preparing for retirement in 2003, this system was just being fielded. They were also talking about a personal sensor that soldiers could mount on themselves so that every friendly individual soldier could also be seen. I am not currently up to date on this so I do not know how far it has been taken, but @Trelane may be able to add more information!

Thank you for that information. The personal sensor sounds like a good idea. It occurred to me though that if the enemy was able to get their hands on some, say from POWs for example, they could use them for deceptive purposes (unless, of course, the devices could be turned off should a soldier be captured or killed).

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Thank you for that information. The personal sensor sounds like a good idea. It occurred to me though that if the enemy was able to get their hands on some, say from POWs for example, they could use them for deceptive purposes (unless, of course, the devices could be turned off should a soldier be captured or killed).

It would not matter since the entire system works off Satellite GPS once equipment or personal are known to no longer be under US control the sensors can be deleted from the system. 

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

It would not matter since the entire system works off Satellite GPS once equipment or personal are known to no longer be under US control the sensors can be deleted from the system. 

I did a quick search and found a a few articles on the subject that might be of interest:

Soldiers Test Israeli Tech To Stop Friendly Fire
https://breakingdefense.com/2020/03/soldiers-test-israeli-tech-to-stop-friendly-fire/

The Goal - To Prevent Cases of "Friendly Fire"
https://www.haaretz.com/haaretz-labels/se/2023-12-31/ty-article-labels/the-goal-to-prevent-cases-of-friendly-fire/0000018c-bf7b-d3e0-abac-fffbc7f80000

Technology that Avoids Friendly Fire Required
https://i-hls.com/archives/101621

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

When the troops are multiple meters underground, radio is not nearly as reliable as when above ground.  There are tech means to overcome this but it seems the IDF would have to install them as they go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I did a quick search and found a a few articles on the subject that might be of interest:

Soldiers Test Israeli Tech To Stop Friendly Fire
https://breakingdefense.com/2020/03/soldiers-test-israeli-tech-to-stop-friendly-fire/

The Goal - To Prevent Cases of "Friendly Fire"
https://www.haaretz.com/haaretz-labels/se/2023-12-31/ty-article-labels/the-goal-to-prevent-cases-of-friendly-fire/0000018c-bf7b-d3e0-abac-fffbc7f80000

Technology that Avoids Friendly Fire Required
https://i-hls.com/archives/101621

The "Firefly" idea seems extremely helpful.  I saw no real downsides to it.  That said, FF deaths are part of the battlefield and always have been.  The best that can be hoped for is to reduce them.

• Like 1