Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gunmen kill 15 police officers and several civilians in Russia’s southern Dagestan region

Kittens Are Jerks

Posted (edited)

Gunmen kill 15 police officers and several civilians in Russia’s southern Dagestan region

More than 15 police officers and several civilians, including an Orthodox priest, were killed by armed militants in Russia’s southern republic of Dagestan on Sunday, its governor Sergei Melikov said in a video statement early Monday.

The gunmen opened fire on two Orthodox churches, a synagogue and a police post in two cities, according to the authorities.

Russia’s National Anti-Terrorist Committee described the attacks in the predominantly Muslim region with a history of armed insurgency as terrorist acts.

https://apnews.com/article/dagestan-militant-attack-churches-synagogue-police-d4ceba71308ab75b28e128991776b2b5

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Fixed formatting.
  • Sad 7

One report I heard on the news was that it was ISIS.  Any truth to that? Does anybody know?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

One report I heard on the news was that it was ISIS.  Any truth to that? Does anybody know?

The head of the Dagestan Republic, Sergey Melikov, said in a statement that they "understand who is behind the organization of the terrorist attacks and what goal they pursued," but did not provide further details. But, as mentioned in the article cited below, "terror operatives from Dagestan are known to have traveled to join IS in Syria, and in 2015, the group declared it had established a “franchise” in the North Caucasus," so it's not an unlikely possibility.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/priest-at-least-6-cops-killed-in-attacks-on-synagogues-churches-in-russias-dagestan/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sad state of affairs.  We have franchises for McDonalds and Burger King and Russia has franchises for terrorist groups. Russia should talk to their friends in Iran and get them to persuade IS to lay off Russia. 

9 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The head of the Dagestan Republic

As you bring to mind, Russia has these associated Republics that may not be too happy with the current arrangement.  They are more internally divided than even the US.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It’s telling that they didn’t hit any mosques but did firebomb a synagogue…

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It’s telling that they didn’t hit any mosques but did firebomb a synagogue…

Two synagogues and two churches.  No doubt showing a bit of solidarity with demonic brethren.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

If Russian media told me the sky was blue I'd doubt it immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most likely. Although I'm waiting for the inevitable Russian claim that we're somehow responsible 🙄

Sad state of affairs.  We have franchises for McDonalds and Burger King and Russia has franchises for terrorist groups. Russia should talk to their friends in Iran and get them to persuade IS to lay off Russia. 

ISIS hates Iran at least as much as they hate us. Iran has no ability to persuade ISIS of anything.

• Thanks 1