Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will we have more earthquakes because of climate change?

Grim Reaper 6

Earthquakes are one of the most mysterious and terrifying natural disasters. Although we have some idea of when the big ones might happen, others can occur seemingly out of nowhere, bulldozing cities and creating secondary disasters such as fires, landslides and tsunamis. Climate change is causing increases in other natural disasters, like wildfires and hurricanes. So could it make earthquakes more common, too??

https://www.livescience.com/planet-earth/earthquakes/will-we-have-more-earthquakes-because-of-climate-change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Do earthquakes occur more often during the day than during the relatively much colder night?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ell said:

Do earthquakes occur more often during the day than during the relatively much colder night?

Since earthquakes are the result of fault line slippage I don’t think day or night have much to do with it.

JIMHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Since earthquakes are the result of fault line slippage I don’t think day or night have much to do with it.

JIMHO

He obviously didn't read the article you posted 

It's an interesting concept but I'm not entirely convinced. It seems to want to hedge it's bets by speculating that both an increase and  decrease in pressure on fault lines can increase the likelihood of quakes.

The other thing that occurred to me is that isostatic rebound has been happening in many places since the end of the last period of glaciation. Especially in more northern areas like Scandinavia. You'd think geologists may have been able to study this in real time.

If we have any geologists here I'd be interested in hearing their take on it.

Interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

It's an interesting concept but I'm not entirely convinced. It seems to want to hedge it's bets by speculating that both an increase and  decrease in pressure on fault lines can increase the likelihood of quakes.

The other thing that occurred to me is that isostatic rebound has been happening in many places since the end of the last period of glaciation. Especially in more northern areas like Scandinavia. You'd think geologists may have been able to study this in real time.

Your very welcome, you seem to be a wealth of knowledge on the subject that's very much for the information!👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We know that melting ice sheets and glaciers result in earthquakes.  There is evidence building big reservoirs (like the 3 gorges dam in China) can cause earthquakes.   And also that heavy rain or snowfall can cause earthquakes.   So yes, one impact of climate change will likely be more earthquakes.

But in most cases these are going to be very minor ones, rarely felt.   

I don't think a 3 inch rise in sea level is going to generate a mag 8 earthquake of its own accord. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arbenol said:

@Doc Socks Junior is a really good geologist.

What say you Doc? 

• Thanks 3

The internal temperature of a mouse is about 37 degrees Celsius. So when a mouse during a cold night takes a pee, can we expect a tremendous earthquake?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@Piney

Isostatic rebound factoring into earthquakes is pretty well-established now. One of the more interesting things I've taken away from the Ragnarok comet impact discussion was Morner's work on that in Sweden. Makes sense. I think changes are in the order of kilometers. 10 mm/yr or so. Also, GIA is a positive signal, i.e., a rise, in northern places, but a negative signal, i.e., a fall in southern places. The flowing mantle coming into or out of the picture.

As of now, the most rebound is occuring in relatively unpopulated areas, I'd say. Ice sheet melting in Greenland or Antarctica...not much a concern to me re: EQs. Even if they do occur.

I don't really buy much concern about sea levels in underwater faults. Stress is so distributed in that case.

I think precipitation changes could play a larger role. We already see noticeable EQ upticks in the fault system west of Long Valley after big water years.

Basically, think of two things as governing faults: the stress of the long-term movement and the friction as the sides stick together. GIA can affect the first, while precipitation could affect the second.

Edited by Doc Socks Junior
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

@Piney

Isostatic rebound factoring into earthquakes is pretty well-established now. One of the more interesting things I've taken away from the Ragnarok comet impact discussion was Morner's work on that in Sweden. Makes sense. I think changes are in the order of kilometers. 10 mm/yr or so. Also, GIA is a positive signal, i.e., a rise, in northern places, but a negative signal, i.e., a fall in southern places. The flowing mantle coming into or out of the picture.

As of now, the most rebound is occuring in relatively unpopulated areas, I'd say. Ice sheet melting in Greenland or Antarctica...not much a concern to me re: EQs. Even if they do occur.

I don't really buy much concern about sea levels in underwater faults. Stress is so distributed in that case.

I think precipitation changes could play a larger role. We already see noticeable EQ upticks in the fault system west of Long Valley after big water years.

Basically, think of two things as governing faults: the stress of the long-term movement and the friction as the sides stick together. GIA can affect the first, while precipitation could affect the second.

The Great Lakes area is still in rebound and the New Madrid system might be bigger than we think. They might be connected. 

But I don't buy into sea level rise affecting underwater faults either 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Great Lakes area is still in rebound and the New Madrid system might be bigger than we think. They might be connected.

Yarp. The drowned harbors in the south and uplifted beaches to the north in Lake Ontario was an example I was informed of from my undergraduate days.

At less magnitude than higher up in latitude though. Since much of the movement has happened, at lower latitudes. 

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Great minds!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I don’t believe that submerged subduction zones will become more active do to sea level rise either. It’s funny most Americans when discussing earthquakes alway look the New Madrid fault subduction zone. I grew up outside of St. Louis and the effects of the 1812 earthquake can still be clearly seen along both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. In that area the the 1812 shoreline was moved miles inland, and it also caused the Mississippi River actually flowed backwards do to the upheaval of the earths crust created by the earthquake. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I don’t believe that submerged subduction zones will become more active do to sea level rise either. It’s funny most Americans when discussing earthquakes alway look the New Madrid fault subduction zone. I grew up outside of St. Louis and the effects of the 1812 earthquake can still be clearly seen along both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. In that area the the 1812 shoreline was moved miles inland, and it also caused the Mississippi River actually flowed backwards do to the upheaval of the earths crust created by the earthquake. 

New Madrid isn't a subduction zone. It's a failed rift.

The 1811-12 earthquake is what caused the Lenape cultural revival when we were living on the White River.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Piney said:

New Madrid isn't a subduction zone. It's a failed rift.

The 1811-12 earthquake is what caused the Lenape cultural revival when we were living on the White River.

Thanks for the correction and interesting information I appreciate it, I will not make that mistake again!

Peace✌️

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Thanks for the correct and interesting information I appreciate it, I will not make that mistake again!

Peace✌️

Mistakes are learning experiences. I make them often. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Mistakes are learning experiences. I make them often. 

Yes they certainly are, and so long as one doesn’t repeat them the lesson was well learned!:tu:

• Like 1