Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant/Colossal Squids

Walken

user posted image

^^^ Collosal squid.

user posted image

^^^ Looks fake.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Walken

• Mysteryman

• The Roswell Man

well, thats the google image database exhausted what next ?

Maybe a better idea to wait until they've caught more than just one of these squid before we debate it endlessly.

lol

grin2.gif

Most of the pics are cartoons or drawings, lol.

Those pics are cool!

I saw a programme where this guy dived underwater to find these 'giant squids'. He found some that were pretty big, but not 'eating a ship' big. It was funny because one of them tried to suck his goggle/glasses things off! happy.gif

lol, sounds great. Wa the footage any good?

It was, actually! It was really dark in the surrounding water, and you occasionally saw these big red squid things wiggle past.

They were red because he had to use this special light, because they only swam around much at night.

Harry Houdini once escaped from inside a preserved giant squid.

Edited by MadEyePixie

Lol it was a white light he was using, and they were vampire squid iirc.

user posted image

but i couldn't find a picture of it doing so

would you settle for this one instead.

user posted image

although it looks more like a diver attacking a squid than the other way round

To me, the scariest thing about the giant squids washing ashore is.. how incredibly bad the stench would be. Decomposition is such a lovely thing.

Hey, great picture!

I'd be petrified!

Even though most of these pictures have been posted before, check these out:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Their really is no real "cryptid/mystery" to the giant squid since its animal existence is already confirmed in the animal classification...

Those are amazing

Maybe possible explantions for some sea monsters?

*shakes head*

Where to start, where to start.

First of all, that last picture you posted is not a Giant Squid. laugh.gif

Giant Squids, and their cousins the Colossals, have NEVER, EVER been seen in the wild alive. The closest anyone has gotten, would be the worlds leading GS researcher Dr. Steve O'Shea, who actually capture baby Giant Squids which died in captivity some hours after they were brought to the surface.

Vampire Squids are quite different, they look nothing like Giant Squids. laugh.gif

And also, no Giant Octopus has ever been seen, living or dead. For awhile it was assumed that one would wash up on shore every now and then, like the GSquids, but it has now been proven that these huge rotting globs are actually whale carcasses. When a whale dies it's body lies suspended in the water, until it's flesh rotts away leaving nothing but blubber and bones. The bones sink and the blubber floats, and washes up on shores.

5 points to the first person who explains the main difference, disreguarding the bigger size, between a Colossal and Giant Squid.

They have hooks instead of plungey things?

Those are amazing

Maybe possible explantions for some sea monsters?

533789[/snapback]

The Kraken, of course, which was described to be my Sailors a 'Giant, Squid'. laugh.gif No brainer there.

Am I right? (hopeful)

grin2.gif

They have hooks instead of plungey things?

533792[/snapback]

Correct, matey.

The Giant Squid on it's tentacles and clubs has several hundred suckers entwined with razors that latch on to the victim and actually suck all the fluids out. It then brings the dry carcass to it's beak, and nibbles.

The Colossal, however, does have suckers, and the razors, but also massive sharp hooks as big as your index finger. These barbaric devices actually swivel 360o so once they grasp the target with the suckers on the clubs the victim is literally blended up in these millions of swivelling hooks, and it can hold other victims while chewing on one using these hooks.

Absolutely marvelous.

Thats horrifying.

Sounds like the scariest thing...ever....

Brrrr....

*shakes head*

Where to start, where to start.

First of all, that last picture you posted is not a Giant Squid. laugh.gif

Giant Squids, and their cousins the Colossals, have NEVER, EVER been seen in the wild alive. The closest anyone has gotten, would be the worlds leading GS researcher Dr. Steve O'Shea, who actually capture baby Giant Squids which died in captivity some hours after they were brought to the surface.

Vampire Squids are quite different, they look nothing like Giant Squids. laugh.gif

And also, no Giant Octopus has ever been seen, living or dead. For awhile it was assumed that one would wash up on shore every now and then, like the GSquids, but it has now been proven that these huge rotting globs are actually whale carcasses. When a whale dies it's body lies suspended in the water, until it's flesh rotts away leaving nothing but blubber and bones. The bones sink and the blubber floats, and washes up on shores.

5 points to the first person who explains the main difference, disreguarding the bigger size, between a Colossal and Giant Squid.

533790[/snapback]

It has been suggested that the colossal squid is the larger and more lethal of the two, but theirs no real evidence to support this. Though the giant squid could hold its own in a battle.

Actually I think there is.

They sound like the most lethal predator ever...

I'm never swimming again

Thats horrifying.

Sounds like the scariest thing...ever....

Brrrr....

533808[/snapback]

You do NOT want to be swimming with these things.

There are pictures of beach Sperm Whales that have literally been torn to sheds by them.

It has been suggested that the colossal squid is the larger and more lethal of the two, but theirs no real evidence to support this. Though the giant squid could hold its own in a battle.

533810[/snapback]

Agreed yes, the Colossal is far bigger and judging by it's weapons, much more lethal. Although i was looking for the hooks. grin2.gif

Can you post a picture? I just checked google and couldn't find one sad.gif

Absolutely. I have a few resorces, if they're still there, that aren't available to the public on the subject. I'm quite the nut, and i've even had a few chat sessions with Dr. O'Shea himself, it's was very enlightening.

Give me a few minutes, i'll dig them up.