Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant/Colossal Squids

Walken

If it hasnt happened already reports of Greeks being attacked by 200 ft squid are common what do you think?

597812[/snapback]

Ahmmm... Well, you know scientists seriously doubt that any squid or octopus be strong enough to actually raise its tentacles, and so attack anything out of the water.

There were as well 'reports' of Greeks being chased by centaurs, of people going to Hades and back, of women breeding with bulls, of men bearing childern in their tights...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Walken

• Mysteryman

• The Roswell Man

Merged Giant Squids topic. thumbsup.gif

There's ALOT of information in this topic with regards to Giant, and the rarer cousins the Colossal.

In truth, Giant Squids have been found, alive. The babies that Falco talked about, captured by Dr. O'Shea on the discovery channel voyage 'Searching for Giants'. But more often than not the specimens of dead GS are actually hooked in the nets of fishermen, and when brought up, are still barely alive. The change in atmospheres is what kills them off so quickly, and out of the water they do die within minutes, but they have been seen alive.

A better question would be, will we ever see them in their natural habitat, which would actually be no less than 30-50 atmospheres down, at least a depth of 350-600 feet i'd say. But most likely much much further.

Yes, i do believe as our technology advances and our deep sea exploration increases, chance encounters will occur. Although, i'd feel very sorry for the poor soul who went deep sea diving in a mini-sub and was spotted by a Giant Squid..

• 1 month later...

that looks real to me man, but that thing is GINORMOUS!

It's not a Cryptid in any sense. It's as real as Lions and Dogs, it has classification etc etc.

534033[/snapback]

LIONS ARE REAL!?! blink.gif

Anyways, there is a fakie of a giant octopi in my colection, lemme get it.

Cool. Don't see what it has to do with the topic though. laugh.gif

I'd just like to say that no one has a great white shark in captivity, let alone a giant squid.

I think that the change in pressure kills some of them, but salinity of the water as well as temperature changes may also play a roll. Sometimes when currents change many Archeteutis wash up on nearby shores.

Those are amazing

Maybe possible explantions for some sea monsters?

533789[/snapback]

its believed that the giant squid are the culprits for the Kraken Myth

Cool. Don't see what it has to do with the topic though. laugh.gif

693174[/snapback]

Thought it might look cool.

Giant cephalapods...oh dude.. that is like my dream....its like the cutest creature IN THE WORLD super-sized...yay!

Boy, at least that "Exocell" was a hoax! I was scared for a minute there!

grin2.gif

OK, you squidologists, how long do they estimate these giant squid and colossal squid live? Do they continue to grow as long as they live, or do they reach a maximum size in early adulthood and stop?

dontgetit.gif

I'd just like to say that no one has a great white shark in captivity, let alone a giant squid.

I think that the change in pressure kills some of them, but salinity of the water as well as temperature changes may also play a roll. Sometimes when currents change many Archeteutis wash up on nearby shores.

captive great white

This story is few months old, and I seem to remember that the shark was released after killing a tankmate, but no story I found mentions any such release.

Anyone know if they've still got it or not?

Who want's to see a cheesie giant squid!?!

Edited by CrazyHarry

OK, you squidologists, how long do they estimate these giant squid and colossal squid live?  Do they continue to grow as long as they live, or do they reach a maximum size in early adulthood and stop?

695555[/snapback]

I'm not sure about their life expectancy. However it's theorised that like clams and species of mollusks they simply never cease growing their entire lives, and continue to grow larger and larger until death.

That is scary. Glad it's not real tongue.gif

Cool if something like that was in GTA SA tongue.gif

533853[/snapback]

amazing that I just had that thought the other day when I hijacked a boat and was stuck in the middle of the ocean with the weird shrooms about. Also consp, old viking sailors used to say that sea monsters were a sign of bad storms coming up and they were right because before a storm the air can twist normal animal into a freaky scary image (ie: a seal's head can turn into a sea serpent). There's a cool story of a group of vikings that saw a "Kraken" (giant/collosal squid) get stuck on some rocks, and it couldn't get out. The squid was so huge that when the body started rotting, you could smell it one mile or so away.

Edited by babayagafamiliar

• 1 year later...

*shakes head*

Where to start, where to start.

5 points to the first person who explains the main difference, disreguarding the bigger size, between a Colossal and Giant Squid.

First off, hello and i'm new to the site, and second off, the main differences i can recall off hand is that the colossal squid (i believe) had a larger beak, also as you had stated, disreguarding the size, the other main difference is that within the suckers (what are they called again? lol) are hooks, they "apparently" penetrate the skin then the suction holds on to you, the big scars that you see on whales within the sucker holes are gashes, and these are what causes them. although even cooler, is that when these hooks are in the skin they i guess you can call it "rotate" causing even more damage.

although it is quite a shame that no one has actually caught these in their natural habitat. it makes you wonder, birthing, mating, feeding... quite a shame we have yet to encounter this.

Oh, and i believe you owe me 5 points :P

I'm surprised no one has said a single word on this thread about the first giant squid adult captured on film recently.

First off, hello and i'm new to the site, and second off, the main differences i can recall off hand is that the colossal squid (i believe) had a larger beak, also as you had stated, disreguarding the size, the other main difference is that within the suckers (what are they called again? lol) are hooks, they "apparently" penetrate the skin then the suction holds on to you, the big scars that you see on whales within the sucker holes are gashes, and these are what causes them. although even cooler, is that when these hooks are in the skin they i guess you can call it "rotate" causing even more damage.

although it is quite a shame that no one has actually caught these in their natural habitat. it makes you wonder, birthing, mating, feeding... quite a shame we have yet to encounter this.

Welcome to UM, Femaleg33k!!!...This thread is a tad-bit old...you might think about opening-up a new thread on this subject on: "the differences between Colossal and Giant Squid"....*Awards Fem 5 points and a trophy for Squid-info MVP*....I hope you open that thread soon, I'd love to comment on it......and again, welcome. :tu:

Well, while you are quite right, i did say i'd award 5 points to the first person who could tell the difference. And you're, well, about a year late. :( But i'll give you 2 points for the right answers, 1 point for reviving my favourite thread, and 1 point as an extra welcome to the site. :D

I'm surprised no one has said a single word on this thread about the first giant squid adult captured on film recently.

There was a different extensive topic devolted to the first captured images of a live Giant Squid. It was quite exciting. A year ago now though. Here's some caps of the japanese video footage:

IPB Image\

IPB Image\