Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis

Burgundy Johnson

Hey! Does anyone know anything about the great city Atlantis? I saw a documentary on it and that it is in Egypt or something? Can someone post a link or give me some info on it? rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Burgundy Johnson

• LucidElement

• Lord_penance

• ibeo

• 6 months later...

I like both of those site and i was wondering if anybody had anymore info im kinda of new the whole Atlantis myth and very intrested in learning more about thanks...

I find the Indonesian theory challenging, it doesn't sound convincing.....just my opinion 'though. whistling2.gif

The wonderful thing about the Atlantis argument is that it has produced an endless string of books and arguments pointing to many different locations. Usually the arguments put forward extrapolate the evidence to fit around the particular aurthor's theory. For example......."beyond the pillars of Hercules" quoted by Plato always sparks off debate with scholars. There was an argument that the "Pillar of Hercules" actually shifted location in the ancient world and meant somewhere different for the Romans as compared to the Greeks. If we begin to look at such premises, then we can beging shifting the location from the Atlantic (beyond Gibraltar) to the pass into the Black Sea.

I think any study on Atlantis should stick to the written account of Plato, as it is the sole account on the legendary island. Ideas of flying saucers and nuclear power etc have been invented in the modern era.

There is also a current theory that points at a place off the coast of cyprus, which is another interesting argument. Here are some links :

http://www.discoveryofatlantis.com/welcomecyprus.htm

http://www.rense.com/general42/foratlantis...istrunright.htm

Alas, let's keep the debate alive. Atlantis will never die.

One thing is for sure; If Plato invented the story as has been suggested, then it is the Greatest Practical Joke in History w00t.gif .........just look at the endless debate it has stirred.

• 9 months later...

i read in an article, that under the sphinx feet is maybe Atlanatis, it might be a far fetched idea, but they also said that survivors of atlantis, had something to do with the building of The Sphinx, because you know civilizations back then were so advanced, but people of Atlantis, were known to be the most advanced civilization of all time!!!! but if Atlanatis did exist, then you will definitly have survivors, and espically around the time of the pryamids.. so who knows!

Some beleve that the Alantian called Thoth created the spinx and hid the compleet history of the world under the great image. The Hall of Records , some beleve it is there and some not.

I often question whether or not Atlantis existed simply because of the lack of evidence for it. Besides Plato's account, there are no surviving accounts of there being an advanced civilization beyond the Mediterranean Sea that was known by the Greeks. The only thing that makes me believe it is possible is the mounting evidence of trade between ancient Egypt and the Americas. Since Plato got the story from Socrates who in turned supposedly got it from an Egyptian priest it's possible that Atlantis could have been discovered by the Egyptians, who it appears may have been capable of transatlantic seafaring.

Ya, i once read, that located under the sphinx was a vehicle capable of space travel, that was left behind for mankind to save him from his destruction.

One thing I thought of the other day, was maybe atlantis was not an actual place he was describing from the past, but maybe describing somewhere in the future? Atlantians were said to posess flying vehicles, as well as unprecidented technology. I think that it could very well be an account of present day america. A war of the future, or our demise in the future.

Ya, i once read, that located under the sphinx was a vehicle capable of space travel, that was left behind for mankind to save him from his destruction.

One thing I thought of the other day, was maybe atlantis was not an actual place he was describing from the past, but maybe describing somewhere in the future? Atlantians were said to posess flying vehicles, as well as unprecidented technology. I think that it could very well be an account of present day america. A war of the future, or our demise in the future.

280054[/snapback]

Whoaaah! huh.gif This is Stargate stuff!!!

maybe atlantis itself was a vehicle.....space or time travel maybe? and possibly they came back to save the oceans? maybe something on thier timeline happened in the oceans and they came back with atlantis, to go underwater and act as a filter tongue.gif

well, just a speculation, i think the future prediction thing mentioned above sounds believable too....

The Cyprus - to Egypt - to Tenoschtitlan is the only true history about Atlantis. I'm in contact with the Sarmast team personally because my research resembles Platos dates and figures:

(see that thread for intro http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...php/t17247.html )

user posted image

Atlantis sunk ~ 9600 BC (citing Sarmast) and Platon wrote about it 360 BC. The circular design went into the Torah as the "millstone in the head of Thor (the Sphinx)". According to the surface text of the hall (the genesis) the first city was adam (Atlantis, Eden), the second city was Seth (egypt) and the third city was Enoch (Mexico).

All seals I found so far puzzle together to the tree of seals:

user posted image

According to D.J., member of the atlantis team the bottom seal resembles aerial view of the atlantean acropolis.

More explanations, e.g. of the atlantean crown, and pictures on my page: http://otaku.onlinehome.de/gematria.html

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Edited by Sihan-sama

Over 11,000 years ago there existed an island nation located in the middle of the Atlantic ocean populated by a noble and powerful race. The people of this land possessed great wealth thanks to the natural resources found throughout their island. The island was a center for trade and commerce. The rulers of this land held sway over the people and land of their own island and well into Europe and Africa.

This was the island of Atlantis.

Atlantis was the domain of Poseidon, god of the sea. When Poseidon fell in love with a mortal woman, Cleito, he created a dwelling at the top of a hill near the middle of the island and surrounded the dwelling with rings of water and land to protect her.

Cleito gave birth to five sets of twin boys who became the first rulers of Atlantis. The island was divided among the brothers with the eldest, Atlas, first King of Atlantis, being given control over the central hill and surrounding areas.

At the top of the central hill, a temple was built to honor Poseidon which housed a giant gold statue of Poseidon riding a chariot pulled by winged horses. It was here that the rulers of Atlantis would come to discuss laws, pass judgments, and pay tribute to Poseidon..

To facilitate travel and trade, a water canal was cut through of the rings of land and water running south for 5.5 miles (~9 km) to the sea.

The city of Atlantis sat just outside the outer ring of water and spread across the plain covering a circle of 11 miles (1.7 km). This was a densely populated area where the majority of the population lived.

Beyond the city lay a fertile plain 330 miles (530 km) long and 110 miles (190 km) wide surrounded by another canal used to collect water from the rivers and streams of the mountains. The climate was such that two harvests were possible each year. One in the winter fed by the rains and one in the summer fed by irrigation from the canal.

Surrounding the plain to the north were mountains which soared to the skies. Villages, lakes, rivers, and meadows dotted the mountains.

Besides the harvests, the island provided all kinds of herbs, fruits, and nuts. An abundance of animals, including elephants, roamed the island.

For generations the Atlanteans lived simple, virtuous lives. But slowly they began to change. Greed and power began to corrupt them. When Zeus saw the immorality of the Atlanteans he gathered the other gods to determine a suitable punishment.

Soon, in one violent surge it was gone. The island of Atlantis, its people, and its memory were swallowed by the sea.

interesting story, Lord_penance.

i've heard that story, but not with the greek god's involved. source?

A Swedish scientist recently wrote a book hypothesizing that Ireland may be the land of Atlantis ... so everybody c'mon over here and give our economy a boost!

Sorry I can't remember his name but a search should find it ... it sounds interesting - to me at least ...

I heard about a year ago that the answer to solving the mystery of where Alantis is, is found underneath the left paw of the Sphinx. I do believe that Edgar Casey predicted this, claiming that he lived on Alantis in his past life, you might want to look up some stuff on him and his accounts of Alantis. I really don't know too much about it, I saw a show on it. Also I heard that they did a scan on the ground and found that there was a hallow opening under the Sphinx's paw.

I think atlantis might have been the city before the flood the bible talks about. The bible talks about a world before the universal flood. Who knows were this city was, but spain is were most archeologist think. between spain and morroco is the only passage by water to the mediterranean sea. This must have been a very important place in the past. thumbsup.gif Hercules is also part of atlantis history. The bible talks about angels that rebeled against god and had children with the daughters of man. These children were half human and half demon devil.gif . The bible describes them as tall and strong. Hercules could have been one of these. Then, the flood destroyed atlantis. Only noah and his family survived... and the stories of atlantis were passed on generation to generation up to today and also written in the bible. The basques in spain have a very strange language not simmilar to any language in europe, and have the oldest culture in europe, basque may very well be the language of atlantis. dontgetit.gif

Do you think that for the Disney film "Atlantis" they did proper research or just used that good old Disney charm...coz I gotta say they put forward a pretty good interpretation of Atlantis...

They probably would have done some basic research on atlantis and where it could have been! But mainly it was the good old disney charm!

It was a geat movie though!

Excellent point Tiddlyjen!

• 2 weeks later...

i read that atlantis dissapeered over one night.. know i did not know that, that is amazing, and much like the people who dissapered over night on macchi picchu (Incas)...