Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Womans intuition is a myth

Walken

I only read the first page, considering I've got a pretty good idea that its all just pretty much bickering back and forth. Hows that for intuition (i'm a male).

However, yes, oracles (in the case of the Greeks at least) were females, and I guess that could be considered psychic, however, Apollo, God of Prophecy is a guy.

Statistics have a margin of error.. unless you give that margin then you've no idea if that poll is true at all- It could have between a 3-99% margin of error.. obviously 3% is a hell of a lot better..So be sure to include your sources, pal.

And, as for this whole entire thread, I'm inclined to believe its exactly the same thing as all these other sex-based claims (more strength in men, for instance), and I must say its all really perception. That idea that males are stronger is probably truth when talking about muscle, but then, another form a strength (endurance) is attributed to women, with their ability to give birth.

Therefore, I hope you realize its perception based, like everything else..

*shrug* thumbsup.gif

Parent-Intuition sounds good. I like it.

568933[/snapback]

I agree.. thumbsup.gif

Maybe and maybe not..but when it comes to my kids I always know or feel when something goes wrong..I prove it all the time..I think mothers have intuition more,Its kinda hard not to..we hold them under our hearts for 9 months..maybe the study should do the test on moms vs non-moms..then it would be alot different..

568909[/snapback]

Maybe a mother has more intuition when something is wrong with their child because they are around the kid more than the husband, if it is a typical stay at home mom and working father household. The mother learns from experience and can tell when something is going wrong, or will go wrong. This is pretty logical to me, makes sense.

As far as intuition goes, I believe sex has nothing to do with the matter.

569003[/snapback]

So true.. thumbsup.gif

thinking about childbirth is painful

568810[/snapback]

You have no idea. w00t.gif

568814[/snapback]

A kick in the pods isn't too pleasant either.

568826[/snapback]

I bet cptblackbeard..OUCH!! crying.gifw00t.gif

Actually childbirth pain was for me anyhow the best pain in my life..Looking back Id do it all over again..okie dokie off subject here.. innocent.gif

actually, women ARE more intuitive than men..but of course the definition of "intuition" is a subjective one. factually, women are more sensitive to emotions and motives in others than men are due to a much larger area in the brain called the corpus collossum which joins the two hemispheres together.

however i do think the smile test is rather dubious as intuition isnt really about judging the truthfulness of smiles...

Womans intuition is a myth

Needed a bloody panel of scientists and 15,000 guinea pigs to figure this out? rolleyes.gif

actually, women ARE more intuitive than men..

NO they're not. Gender has nothing to do with it. Intuition is not a genetic trait, it's an enviromental one.

NO they're not. Gender has nothing to do with it. Intuition is not a genetic trait, it's an enviromental one.

570396[/snapback]

I'm inclined to agree with this statement. And.. I agree with the others saying that smile tests are entirely unaccurate... if unaccurate is a word..

I can't think of any more accurate way.

Since when does intuition equal being able to spot fake smiles? Anyway, one study on any subject is not proof of anything. All that you can legitimately say in this case is that, in this one study, slightly more men than women were able to detect fake smiles. No furthur conclusions are supportable.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter. Actually, I've always figured men and women are equally intuitive. Women call it "intuition" and men say they have a "gut feeling".

Since when does intuition equal being able to spot fake smiles?  Anyway, one study on any subject is not proof of anything.  All that you can legitimately say in this case is that, in this one study, slightly more men than women were able to detect fake smiles.  No furthur conclusions are supportable.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter.  Actually, I've always figured men and women are equally intuitive.  Women call it "intuition" and men say they have a "gut feeling".

571142[/snapback]

Kudos! You've hit the nail on the head with that one! thumbsup.gif

I'm not saying anything more than what was put fourth in that last paragraph, but it's when people come and make arguements like Babs' that I'm ready to challenge.

Baloney. I firmly believe in women's intuition. That or men are just insensitive and inconsiderate. Sorry guys. I haven't met a man yet that couldn't use the deep insight a woman has to offer. 

Ah, yet more sexisem....

Denial, I call it.

570396[/snapback]

Walken, all i was attempting to point out is that women in fact do have a larger area of the brain connecting the two hemispheres and in studies have been found to be more "intuitive".

personally, i dont know if intuition would be the right word to use as everyone has their own idea of what intuition is. its probably better to say that due to differences in brain structure women are potentially more sensitive to emotions.

Well that I can agree with, but It's not universal. Some men are more sensitive to emotions, and some women are. although generally women are probably more senseitive to emotions, it's not entirely universal, or a gender trait.

• 2 months later...

I believe everyone can be "intuitive" (if that's what you want to call it). I don't believe intuition is as mystical as some would have us think. I think it's just a combination of all the senses being used in a way that leads one to a certain conclusion. For instance, I have a friend who had a baby boy. He was happy and healthy. One night, my friend woke and had the overwhelming feeling something was wrong with him. She ran to check and he wasn't breathing. Luckily, Dad was there and performed CPR. The baby was rushed to the emergency room and checked out, monitered and whatnot. This never happened again. That was 12 years ago. I'm not saying it was "women's intuition", but perhaps a keen sense of hearing? Maybe something in the baby's manner before bed subconciously let the mother know all was not well. I don't know.

I do know that after both of my children were born, my hearing (where they were concerned anyway) became very exaggerated, so to speak. Before they came along I could sleep like a log. You'd really have to shake me to get me up. My first I kept in my bedroom in a bassinette, but every little sound or movement he made woke me up (this was before he got colic when he was still sleeping). I moved him two rooms down to the living room, and he'd still wake me up with his sighs and hiccups. I had to move him to the other end of the house to his own room. Then, of course, I couldn't sleep at all because I was worried. Even now, I can hear my baby girl wake up from nap before anyone else.

There are sensitive and insensitive men and women alike. I just think you hear more about women's intuition because women are more prone to talk about these things than men are.

And I edited to add this.

Since this "study" was based on photographs, I don't think it really accomplished what it could have. Looking at photos doesn't usually make one's "intuition" kick in. I did a search for it and came up with one comment that I think explains it best. A MAN said that you can't really base intuition abilities on "reading" a photograph since intuition is more "reading" a person's mannerisms, voice inflections, and facial features. And since that came from a MAN, who is more INTUITIVE, I have to believe him. tongue.gif

Edited by WannabeSkeptic

Not to revive an inactive topic, but I'm afraid I must...

Women are more intuitive than men, in the sense that they are more aware of subtle changes in their environment, and the behaviour of those around them. This is something science has known or for a very long time, and is due entirerly to the social role into which women evolved.

Women see a wider spectrum of colour than men, they can distinguish more smells, and they have wider peripheral vision...such things were meant to increase their ability to act as lookouts and guard the nest when the males were on the hunt (males, on the other hand, have almost blinkered vision when they're excited, and many are unable to focus on outside noise when they're working on a task...this was to avoid being distracted from prey).

Women's intuition certainly exists - it has simply taken on mystical qualities thanks to the fact that so few people bother to research the different brain chemistry of men and women. Women are adapted to a certain role...just as men are adapted to one also.

The brain of each gender simply works in different ways, and responds to different stimuli. For example a crying baby will usually wake up a woman, but not a man. He's not programmed to respond to the sound. However, a noise in the hallway or in the back garden will not only wake up the man, but he'll usually be wide awake instantly (because that's his job from an evolutionary standpoint).

Not to revive an inactive topic, but I'm afraid I must...

Women are more intuitive than men, in the sense that they are more aware of subtle changes in their environment, and the behaviour of those around them. This is something science has known or for a very long time, and is due entirerly to the social role into which women evolved.

Women see a wider spectrum of colour than men, they can distinguish more smells, and they have wider peripheral vision...such things were meant to increase their ability to act as lookouts and guard the nest when the males were on the hunt (males, on the other hand, have almost blinkered vision when they're excited, and many are unable to focus on outside noise when they're working on a task...this was to avoid being distracted from prey).

Women's intuition certainly exists - it has simply taken on mystical qualities thanks to the fact that so few people bother to research the different brain chemistry of men and women. Women are adapted to a certain role...just as men are adapted to one also.

The brain of each gender simply works in different ways, and responds to different stimuli. For example a crying baby will usually wake up a woman, but not a man. He's not programmed to respond to the sound. However, a noise in the hallway or in the back garden will not only wake up the man, but he'll usually be wide awake instantly (because that's his job from an evolutionary standpoint).

735345[/snapback]

I couldn't have said it better myself. Is this why I see burgundy and he sees red? tongue.gif Or I smell oregano, peppers, onions, garlic, and he only smells spaghetti? You made a good point about the waking up. My husband doesn't hear the baby hollering (loudly), but can hear the slightest creak outside the window. I really hate to boil it down to "women's jobs" and "men's jobs" as it relates to deep down instinct from long long ago, but I think that's exactly what it is. thumbsup.gif

Nah, I believe it because I haven't witnessed anything to tell me otherwise. So let's just agree to disagree.  original.gif

568731[/snapback]

No one will ever agree to disagree on this site it won't happen. I like what Shadowsleet had just said. original.gif I hate the word myth now we might as well start to debate everything that has no proof.

Hey here's something why don't we debate ESP? But I'm getting off topic. Intuition isn't a myth,

sure this is the first time that I really thought about it. Everyone has their own beliefs. How do you explain when a mother has a bad feeling when their son or daugher goes out for the night?

Is it just a lucky guess? Or is it their intuition coming on line? We really don't know what it is. And let's just say for arguments sake that yes women are more intuative then men.

I might have condriticted myself but right now I don't give a darn.

Yadda yadda yadda bad spelling.

• 8 years later...

Wow, you guys love to debate huh?

Intuition isn't gender specific.

We as a species see things differently. Where the women pick up one side, then men pick up the other. Every now and then men and women will be able to switch side of that spectrum. I've seen men more intuitive than women and vice versa.

IT relates to what we have experienced that really gives us intuition. And by experience I mean, what we in our families have experienced.

I did a UM Intuition test here last year.. The results Male v's Female were very close..

I agree with the OP, female intuition is probably a myth.. Intuition of it's self is not a myth...

So, here's the numbers for Male v's Female intuition...

Overall 35 UMer's were involved in this.. 20 Males & 15 Females.

UM community as a whole was 77.14% Accurate, which is mindboggling because I would have expected us to be closer to perhaps 50% given that we only had two choices, you know, law of averages, ect..

Male intuition accuracy was 75%..

That's damn good.. :D

Female intuition accuracy was 80%..

That's damn good.. <_<

I think that overall we are very intuitive here in UM because we mostly base our judgements on peoples thoughts, opinions and ideas as opposed to anything else like seeing the persons face.. We see peoples comments and instantly make a judgement before responding, and build a mental picture of the person we're responding to in our heads.. That imo, is good exersize for developing intuition..

Well Done UM community! :nw:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=239010&st=0

Wow, you guys love to debate huh?

Intuition isn't gender specific.

We as a species see things differently. Where the women pick up one side, then men pick up the other. Every now and then men and women will be able to switch side of that spectrum. I've seen men more intuitive than women and vice versa.

IT relates to what we have experienced that really gives us intuition. And by experience I mean, what we in our families have experienced.

Last post from this topic was 16 July 2005 - 04:19 AM.

OP was Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:53 PM.

Original poster has been banned.

You should probably check the dates etc. before you necro a thread ;)