Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maggoting

Chris_com28

Maggots eat flesh, bad flesh, good flesh, red flesh, blue flesh. They do not know when to stop eating, the buffet never closes as far as they are concerned.

In order to stop the process of tissue removal, the maggots have to be washed out with a sterile fluid. The British Army has, in its manual for special forces, espoused the method of flushing the wound with a fresh stream of urine when clean, red blood and flesh appear, to get the maggots out. I suspect hospitals use a saline solution or something like that.

In summary, flies are attracted by the smell of rotting flesh, which is why they lay their eggs there. However, if the rotting flesh is on a still- living being, the maggots will still gestate and begin eating, being oblivious to the fact that their dinner is still alive.

Maggots eat flesh

Naturally occurring maggot infestations can of course be very harmful. In some fly species, the larval forms feed upon live tissue as well as decaying material, and the larvae can be a big problem.

Maggots

Hospital maggots are specially bred for wound treatment. They are sterile and are usually of the green blowfly variety as this species only ingests dead tissue.

Maggots heal hospital wounds

Edited by Pax Unum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pax Unum

• justcallmefox

• Chris_com28

• ForRizzle

In all cases, it does seem like they do have their (reluctantly accepted) place in the medical community.

And in case I didn't mention it before...ew.

Certain maggots eat certain types of flesh...leeches also have their place in the medical community, being able to help with blood diseases.

Hospital maggots are specially bred for wound treatment. They are sterile and are usually of the green blowfly variety as this species only ingests dead tissue.

This to answer the questions for those of you who thought the maggots might keep chomping and eat the live flesh.... (did I mention that I have a strong stomach?)

Seems like I heard that somewhere before, though. :hmm:

ewww!!..

A helpful hint, Krypto- one word posts aren't looked upon kindly on the forum. Spam, trying to get a lot of posts fast, those kind of reasons. :tu:

This to answer the questions for those of you who thought the maggots might keep chomping and eat the live flesh.... (did I mention that I have a strong stomach?)

Seems like I heard that somewhere before, though. :hmm:

maybe in post #26.... :D

About the maggots not stopping? No.

I meant the part about the hospital variety being a certain kind that ONLY eats DEAD flesh.

Wise guy. :P