Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How the Debates Work

Saru

• 2 months later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• star_child

• Paranoid Android

• BurnSide

• Walken

I've noticed some debates have five body posts, while some are only allotted four. What is the reason for this difference? Who decides how many posts to have

Regards, PA

Hi PA

The debate organiser will decide how many posts the debate has and the set up of the debates. The reason why you see some debates with four and some with five posts is that we may feel sometimes is not enough material for certain debates and so slightly shorten them so that they do not drag out.

Hope this helps :)

Lottie

• 4 weeks later...

A reminder

There is a point deduction for debaters who fail to make a post within the 7 day time frame. The deductions will be 2 points for every day the participant fails to post after the 7 days.

This is to ensure that debates continue in a timely fashion. If for any reason you cannot post within the 7 days, please ensure that you let your organizer know to avoid having the points taken off your debate.

If, however the participant does not then attempt to make a post for upto 2 weeks after the 7 day rule has started an immediate disqualification will occur.

• 1 month later...

Suspensions - New Rule Added, Please Read Carefully!

It is with regret that we will be introducing suspensions from participation on the debates board for a period of time that we, the organisers, feel is fit to the person involved. This has not been an easy decision to make but now is a neccesary one for everyone involved.

It has become apparent that a few people have gone jumping with huge enthusiasm into a debate, then decided halfway through that they actually don't like it and suddenly vanish with no notification.

This is not on and is not going to be tolerated anymore. It is unfair on Aztec and myself who organise these debates and on the opponents who actually take time and effort with the debates and on our debate judges.

We all want this debates board to carry on the success it has had in the past and to continue to be a relaxed, enjoyable and informative place for people to come and participate in.

As always myself and Aztec are able to put a debate on hold if any kind of problem arises during that debate and we have done this with no issues many times in the past. However we need to know that there is a problem to begin with so keeping us informed is always good.

In future please note- If you are interested in partaking in a future debate make sure that you have the time and commitment to take it on before you commit. It is in all our interest to make sure that these debates run as smoothly as possible.

If anyone wants more information on this feel free to contact myself or AztecInca via PM.

Regards, Lottie and AztecInca

Edited by Lottie

This is a good idea! It gets frustrating reading debates, only to see them die half way through. I can only imagine how it is for you guys organizing it.

Can you clarify though what you mean by suspensions? Suspensions from debates? Or suspension from UM in general.

thanks.

Regards, PA

:clap::tsu: You Finally did it YIPPIE!!! :w00t:

This is a good idea! It gets frustrating reading debates, only to see them die half way through. I can only imagine how it is for you guys organizing it.

Can you clarify though what you mean by suspensions? Suspensions from debates? Or suspension from UM in general.

thanks.

Regards, PA

Thanks PA

To clarify the suspension covers ONLY the participation within the debates and NOT the rest of UM.

Lottie

I agree with this fully.

It seems people jump right in before realizing what it means to commit to the debate. I have lost count of the number of debates that have simply faded out. Even one I was involved in with UniversalParadox, on the subject of Can Video Games Cause Violent Behaviour? I will be more than willing to continue this debate, if UniversalParadox wants to. And considering we’re both Debate Judges, it would be good to set an example!

• 2 months later...

i was wondering if you meant we can only debate twice forever or are you talking about at a time

Guest Lottie

^^^ Hi,

You can participate in as many or as little number of debates as you wish whilst as a member on UM. However we do advise that a person only participate in a maximum of 2 debates at a time. :)