Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

demons...

Tillghast

I WILL SAY NOW, THAT THIS IS MY VIEW. I AM NOT TRYING TO ANNOY PEOPLE, OR GET UP THIER NOSES WITH THIS.

I always thought, that what christianity calls demons, are actually the old religions gods/goddesses.

All that happened was the christian religion took the old gods/goddesses and made them evil in the light of the church to show people that it was wrong to worship them, and that christianity was the right religion.

Sorry - allow me to clarify - if you believe in the Christian God

Naveed - I can at least vouch for one of the 9-11 'demon' face pictures because i checked it against the CNN website which was using that picture in the days after the attack as it's headline picture. it wasn't until a little after that someone spotted the face in the smoke. Unless someone at CNN had a very sick sense of humour and 'shopped the pic before they used it (which is unlikely) the face was actually there.

Of course it isn't a demon it's just a freak occurance which happens to look like a face of a demon.

Althalus - if i remember correctly theres a quote which aptly describes what you mean: "A god ignored is a demon born". No idea where it's from tho.

I don't think Demons are at all the way people take them to be.. you see faces in smoke and all that stuff.. I see people who walk around just like the rest of us.. blink.gif .. If there was somthing smoke wise .. I don't think of it as a demon.. blink.gifph34r.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thats what i thinks stupid about Satanism. For all they may think god sucks, if there was no god there would be no satan and no evil and no sin and no Raziel because Raziel feed on evil and sin but doesnt feed on satanism because thats just lame.

But of course, i still love all you satanic bands! Yes. All of you. Isn't that wonderful?

• 2 weeks later...

I WILL SAY NOW, THAT THIS IS MY VIEW. I AM NOT TRYING TO ANNOY PEOPLE, OR GET UP THIER NOSES WITH THIS.

I always thought, that what christianity calls demons, are actually the old religions gods/goddesses.

All that happened was the christian religion took the old gods/goddesses and made them evil in the light of the church to show people that it was wrong to worship them, and that christianity was the right religion.

I agree,accept, that it was jesus who did it. [edited out]

Edit:

Spyro, please don't make remarks like the one edited out (however "innocent" it may have seemed in your eyes). I don't want this thread to become a flame war.

Thank you for your understanding.

Edited by Phantom

I agree,accept, that it was jesus who did it. [edited out].

grin2.gif You can say that again grin2.gif

Edited by Phantom

Seeing demons in smoke? Well, even the encient druids would look to fire to see the dragon. No doubt about it, 911 was a horrible and tragic event masterminded by very cruel and dark spirited people, whom, perhaps in their beliefs, thought they were doing the work of their god.

I have met some very dark people, and have gotten horribly negative vibes off of them, but they were as human as any other participant in this forum. Yet, I would not call them daemons.

Althalus mentioned that invariably the gods of a fallen nation tend to become the devils of the successor. Indeed, most books I have read on mythology, religion, spirituality, and even a few in philosophy and psychology have attested that very same statement in one way or another.

In time, any religion that does not grow with its people will falter and the gods of present will also be referred to as daemons at some indeterminable point in the future. Just as this is a normal progression in human realization, so to is the desire to fight and resist it. As a matter or archeological fact, human civilization has existed for over 15,000 years, and most assuredly, our most ancient of ancestors followed different gods than we have today.

Are there daemons? Yes. About 15000 years worth of them, and every millenium, we add another god to the list of daemons to the greater glory of the god(s/esses) that replaced the former. It's only a matter of time before the icons and symbols of reverence some of us have in our homes will be the very proof's of the daemons you seek.

(my opinon. I also desire not to insult or attack anyones beliefs)

I'm not sure I agree with you there Drakefyr.

the gods of present will also be referred to as daemons at some indeterminable point in the future

This is only true if spoken from the standpoint of another religion - a religion that has something to gain by the demonising of another. The early Christians, for example, were at pains to point out that Baal and Moloch and Astarte and all the rest of the multitudinous pagan gods were at best fictions and at worst demons, but this was a matter of necessity more than 'the normal progression of human civilisation'.

Many pre-Christian pagan religions seemed quite happy to adopt gods from other pagan pantheons, in some cases they melded them with their own gods and in other cases they simply took them for their own, lock, stock and barrel. It appears that the Christians, with their monotheism, were at a distinct disadvantage here; they could hardly allow their god to become part of another pantheon - their single god had no parallel god in any pagan religions.

So the Christians demonised the Old Gods. This I agree with. But only that monotheism demonises polytheism. Islam, for example, is a later religion that Christianity, but it doesn't demonise the Christian god - rather he is revered as a prophet. Similarly the Old testament god of the Jews isn't demonised by Christians, although he was a fairly unpleasant sort.

Yes, human history has worshipped thousands upon thousands upon thousands of gods in it's time but the assertion that a 'new' religion demonises the gods of the older religion seems overly simplistic to me.

Another point is that later gods often borrow heavily from previous gods if not total take them over, much of what is now written in the bible could be argued that it had been taken from Mithras worship before that.

Count Dracula, do you actually have any other images than what looks like the skull of Frank the Rabbit from Donnie Darko?

looks like a chupacarbra for me .. I have seen bones like those in a news paper ..

**Thanks Raziel for the spelling** wink2.gif

Well first off DEmons are a Biblical concept. and I for one believe the 9/11 attacks to be and act of pure evil, therefore i believe them to be from the Devil himself. There are plenty of accounts of demonic possesion in the bible. i strongly believe that demonic possesion is a definate possible motivation for 9/11. But that pic is a fake and in bad taste.

Christianity (more than any other religion) have converted all those ancient gods into demons. That may sound too simple but it is a fact. Look what happened with the ancient civilizations they conquered: Mayas, Aztecas e Incas for example. disgust.gif and how they finally managed to make them feel guilty for worshiping their own gods, now devil.

looks like a chupacarbra for me .. I have seen bones like those in a news paper ..

**Thanks Raziel for the spelling** wink2.gif

Anytime, big sis tongue.gif

• 1 month later...

I've been reading through...and noticed that some of you spelled demon "daemon"...and someone said that demons are a Christian/Biblical thing...Yeah, the word demon is a variant of the word daemon...and daemons are not of Christian/Biblical origin...nor are they evil, or good for that matter..and deamons do exist today...you see them at work every time you send an email to an address that doesn't exist.

daemon

Pronounced "demon."  A UNIX program that executes in the background ready to perform an operation when required.  Functioning like an extension to the operating system, a daemon is usually an unattended process that is initiated at startup. Typical daemons are print spoolers and e-mail handlers or a scheduler that starts up another process at a designated time.  The term comes from Greek mythology meaning "guardian spirit."

as far as evil beings go, I believe that they're out there somewhere...and I am christian, the demon in my name is used in the guardian spirit sense and also as a tribute to Gene Simmons user posted image (my hero).

Hello Everyone,

Demons have no bodies. That is why they possess people and animals. They were never given bodies, which is probably why they are so damn p***ed off with Humans to begin with. If someone claims to have a pic of a Demon, it isn't a Demon. Gremlins have been confused with Demons since the beginning of time. Many people have pics of Gremlins and because they are ugly, scary and evil, people associate them with Demons. Demons are hard to photograph, unless you can take a picture of a possessed or especially evil person. Has anyone ever seen a picture of Charles Manson? That is a picture of a Demon! Look at his eyes...

I am no authority, but I have great Uncles who were priests who performed exorcisms in Italy. One of them made a journal of documented Demon possessions for the Vatican, so my family is well informed.

If anyone would like to know more, just ask and I will try to give as much info as possible.

WW

Okay.... no teasing here...

I have never Seen a demon before.... but my grandma was a licensed fortune teller and advisor in the state of Florida for 30 years (she passed away in 1997)...

But she told me ... one of her customers actually had a family member go to her and they had a little boy that was supposedly possessed by demons. They thought she could do something about it... she said he was foaming at the mouth and his eyes were rolling back in his head and he was talking in a deep voice in some sort of latin language..... She, of course, told them to go see a priest!!!

blink.gifohmy.gif

Demons have no bodies. That is why they possess people and animals. They were never given bodies, which is probably why they are so damn p***ed off with Humans to begin with. If someone claims to have a pic of a Demon, it isn't a Demon. Gremlins have been confused with Demons since the beginning of time. Many people have pics of Gremlins and because they are ugly, scary and evil, people associate them with Demons. Demons are hard to photograph, unless you can take a picture of a possessed or especially evil person. Has anyone ever seen a picture of Charles Manson? That is a picture of a Demon! Look at his eyes...

Wha???? Pictures of demons and gremlins, huh? I sure would like to take a look at those... Unless they are pictures of evil people, like Charles Manson? Isn't evil just evil? Why does it have to be a gremlin or Demon? Sounds pretty fishy to me.

I am no authority, but I have great Uncles who were priests who performed exorcisms in Italy. One of them made a journal of documented Demon possessions for the Vatican, so my family is well informed.

So, if your family is well informed, did your Great Uncle give a copy of the journal, well documented of course, to you or your family? That would be neat-o to see. If you have such a well documented journal, you should get it out to the masses, to show some proof...... whistling2.gif

Reese

hey reece, here is a pic for ya!:

user posted image

grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif

Scary scary whistling2.gif

Edit: opps, just copy and paste address in another window to view pics

Edited by pappagooch

Pappa,

Could be the site doesn't allow for outside linking of their images, neither do they allow even the linking of the image address. You'll have to copy and paste the url into another window to view the pictures. tongue.gif

Magikman

Edited by Magikman