Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pentagon: Soldiers not at fault in Italian's death

__Kratos__

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A U.S. military investigation has cleared American troops of any wrongdoing in the shooting death last month of an Italian security agent in Baghdad, according to a senior Pentagon official.

The agent's death strained relations between the United States and Italy, two stalwart allies in the Iraq war.

The U.S. soldiers involved will face no disciplinary actions, the Pentagon official said Monday.

There was no Italian government reaction to the reported findings early Tuesday. Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is in the process of reforming his government, which will not be official until it passes a confidence vote scheduled for Thursday.

Nicola Calipari, 50, was killed March 4 shortly after securing the release of hostage Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena. The newly freed journalist was wounded in the incident.

The Italians were in a car that came under fire at a U.S. checkpoint on the way to the Baghdad airport.

The investigators' report also said there appears to have been no attempted coordination on the part of the Italians to clear the U.S. checkpoint, the official said.

The U.S. military has contended the Italians' car rapidly approached the checkpoint and ignored repeated warnings to stop. But Sgrena, an anti-war reporter for the communist newspaper Il Manifesto, charged that American forces deliberately fired on the vehicle. (Freed reporter's account)

Berlusconi and Italy's foreign minister have publicly disputed the U.S. version of events since the days immediately following the shootings, saying there was advance coordination with U.S. forces and no warning shots were fired before the vehicle was hit.

Sgrena reacted strongly to the reported findings of the U.S. military investigation.

"It is worse that I thought," she said. "Now they're saying it is not their fault."

Earlier this month, U.S. President George W. Bush again expressed his regrets to Berlusconi over the death of Calipari.

Berlusconi, who denounced the shooting, has said that according to information from the person driving the car, the vehicle was traveling at a low speed and braked very swiftly when a light shone on it.

Italian media reported that while Italian officials participated in the U.S. investigation, it is unclear whether they would endorse the report. News reports in Italy also said officials there do not agree with the findings.

If the Italians don't endorse the report, its credibility would likely be hurt in Italy.

Italian magistrates are conducting their own unilateral investigation into the shootings and are being given access to the car that carried Calipari and Sgrena in hopes of determining how the soldiers fired on it.

Berlusconi faces parliamentary elections in 2006, and his decision to commit Italian forces to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 was never popular at home.

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is worse that I thought," she said. "Now they're saying it is not their fault."

Nothing like blowing smoke to get headlines. Think how much that communist newspaper Il Manifesto, is making off of her. It was their fault and now she can't accept that. Its like a 5 year old being punished for eating a cookie he shouldn't have and throwing a hissy fit.

The soldiers did everything right, and the Italians were wrong in speeding to the checkpoint and ignoring the soldiers warnings.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• dmgspycat

• Michelle

• Stellar

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoye from article: "...Berlusconi and Italy's foreign minister have publicly disputed the U.S. version of events since the days immediately following the shootings, saying there was advance coordination with U.S. forces and no warning shots were fired before the vehicle was hit."

Enough said.

Remember my piece I posted Kratos? She was warned by her captors that the Americans didn't want her to leave Iraq! She and her captors said this...I did not make it up. Goes along with what Berlusconi is saying. Look...bottom line here is that she uncovered some kind of truth in Iraq that is embarrassing to the BUsh Administration...what do you think?

Enough said.

You do realise that certain steps in ROEs are allowed to be skipped if necessary, right? If theres a car speeding up at you, you've gotta take it out before it gets close and detonates.

I see that as an excuse Stellar...I was skeptical about it when we all discussed it a month ago but after reading her piece which was just released recently, I see there was fear of her being discovered by the Americans by her and her captors...I am wondering if you saw that article I posted on the subject...it might help you understand why I am taking this stance...another point is she is against the war. Remember...this is not about condemning the US troops but uncovering something deeper...why didn't the Americans want her to leave Iraq and who was she referring to ?

I see that as an excuse Stellar...I was skeptical about it when we all discussed it a month ago but after reading her piece which was just released recently, I see there was fear of her being discovered by the Americans by her and her captors...I am wondering if you saw that article I posted on the subject...it might help you understand why I am taking this stance...another point is she is against the war. Remember...this is not about condemning the US troops but uncovering something deeper...why didn't the Americans want her to leave Iraq and who was she referring to ?

594044[/snapback]

Yeah, its always an excuse to protect you and your fellow soldiers in a warzone. We did want her return, we just didn't want negotiate with the terrorists. You negotiate with one, others will come in hoping for the same deal. She wouldn't mind making America look like the bad guy, shes a commie.

I see that as an excuse Stellar..

Its not an excuse, its actually permitted. Its not set up so that in this instance it happens, it is actually how the system works. If you're guarding an area someone isnt supposed to be at, and someone is walking towards you, you tell him to stop first. Take the same situation, but have the guy walking towards you pulling out a gun before you tell him to stop. You dont tell him to stop, you pick up your rifle and put him down.

This whole thing could simply be because the systel isnt 100% safe. It doesnt always work. It didnt necessairly have to be planned or anything.

It's simple... if they had wanted her dead she would be dead...

It's simple... if they had wanted her dead she would be dead...

594545[/snapback]

Yeah, thats true. They had more then enough people there to take out her. But yet somehow we were still targeting her... Shes just pushing this on for attention. Shes a writer, she needs a good story and they always say "If you don't like the news, go out and make some of your own!"

CBS World News aired a few minutes ago that the defence had satillite pictures that proved the car was going at least sixty miles per hour and the soldiers had approximately 39 seconds to react.

CBS World News aired a few minutes ago that the defence had satillite pictures that proved the car was going at least sixty miles per hour and the soldiers had approximately 39 seconds to react.

595783[/snapback]

Link? I would definately like to get to the bottom of it. I don't support her because she is a communist ...I feel for her because she is against the war and here in the states it is considered unnpatriotic to be against the war! But how many republicans crossed the line when they critisized Clinton for the Balkan war? See? The other side of the fence...at least Clinton didn't waste billions of dollars and thousands of soldiers lives over it or relied on a stupid informant named "curveball"!!!

Edited by dmgspycat