Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Past Failures Cast Doubt On Mars Missions

UM-Bot

The $300 million Mars Express, the first fully European mission sent to any planet, will try to find out if there is, or ever was, life on Mars. But European Space Agency (ESA) mission scientists can hardly forget that 20 of the 30 missions to Mars have been less than successful.

"Mars is bad luck for space and a real difficulty for us," ESA's science director David Southwood told Reuters.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: CNN

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nancy

• SpaceyKC

• Kimm

• Anirbas

Top Posters In This Topic

wink.gif KIMM, we have 'reached' Mars and the photographs are amazing! Yet, I have to agree, it's almost as if a "whammy" has been put on all the Landing/Scientific attempts that have been made in the past.

The extensive, unbelieveable amount of money spent, with tight NASA budgets and continuous failure, really puts NASA on the "hot seat" with these three spacecraft that will HOPEFULLY be landing in December 2003 and January 2004.

We "know" that water/ice is there. We know the climate on Mars is changing, more than ever realized.

I don't expect little green men with "Welcome!" signs to great "Spirit" and "Opportunity" (formerly known as MER-A and MER-cool.gif the two Landers due in January 2004.

At times, it is difficult to justify continuing Space Programs.

Shuttles explode, Multi-Billion dollar Missions fail, The International Space Station, Alpha, has only two occupants, not the seven originally planned. Russia's ability to perform when the rubber meets the road, is also in question.

$4 Billion over budget........ the list is long and painful.

Yet, the scientific equipment that we do have zooming around Earth has enabled great strides in Weather Prediction, Military advantages for the USA and medical breakthroughs.

Plus? Today? A 9 year old girl, originally from Siberia and adopted by an American family has had the chance for her dreams to come true. She wrote an essay that was intended to provide permanent names to two of the Mars Rovers (MER-A and MER-cool.gif. Her entry won....... they are now known as "Spirit" and "Opportunity" respectively. She has dreams of someday soaring in space, adding whatever she can, to improve LIFE, here on Earth. With that in mind? How can we stop exploring?

Keep your fingers crossed that Mother Nature will permit the Launch of "Spirit" on June 9 and "Opportunity" on June 25, 2003, from The Cape.

Yikes!!!!!!!!! Didn't mean to turn this into "War and Peace, Part II"!!

http://www.spacenstuff.com/oddsnends/news.php?id=188

blush.gif

Edited by Nancy

Nancy,

You can turn this into "War and Peace, Part II" anytime.

That story about Sofi is very touching, and your editorial on your website is exceptional, as with all your editorials original.gif

Very nicely said, Homer!

Nancy, you should know your 'spacey' info is always

welcome here. original.gif

I seriously fail to get this! Why do we care so much if there was ever life on Mars? I mean last I heard that lil radio thing they did way back in the day was an elaborate hoax! I think we are wasting money and grasping at straws. Donate it to the starving children already!

Anirbas,

The search for life on Mars, is the search for an answer to one of the most important questions mankind has ever posed - are we alone in the universe ?

If evidence of life is found on Mars, then we will know for a fact, that we are not the only planet that has ever harboured life. Furthermore, if two planets in the same solar system independantly generated life, then we will probably find that the universe is absolutely teeming with life.

Given that the answer to all this could be right at our fingertips on Mars, it's no wonder the world's Space agencies are so keen to get over there with the latest technology available and search for signs of life. It would be one of the most important discoveries in history.

Haven't they discovered micro-organisms on a rock that was from Mars?Or am I remembering it wrong?I think they were fossilized.

Neen,

They did, but theres a lot of controversy over whether or not they are fossilised organisms or naturally occuring formations. As of yet nobody seems to know for certain one way or the other.

Here's an article that talks about the possibility of the formations being fossilised organisms :

Here.

Thanx SaRuMaN, that was very interesting. grin2.gif Even the possabilty that these fossilized organisms coming from Mars, suggesting that there might still be life,though microscopic, is really quite exciting :)And some scientists saying that this is how life on earth came to be, is amazing.

Edited by neenron

Homer and KC...... Thank you both for your kind words!! blush.gif

Now? I'm wondering if my computer is "possessed" wacko.gif

I've tried and TRIED to eliminate the cool.gif Little Guy from my last posting, to no avail......... argggggggggg!! Where you see him? It should say "MER-B"

All I can conclude is, "ole blondes" should not mess with little guys, wearing shades. <grumble grumble>

Kimm,

Thank you for clarifying for me. Having actual Humans step onto the Red Planet is quite a challenge!

It takes in the neighborhood of six (6) months to get to THERE from HERE.

Needless to say, the journey would be fraught with all kinds of perils, let alone the actual task of surviving while zipping around Mars.

This is one reason The European and American Space Agencies are concentrating on using Robotic means to do the "dirty" work.

NASA has a difficult time diagnosing why Columbia never made it home. At this point? I have little faith any Space Program has the "oomph" to dare venture to Mars with living human beings crying.gif

Anirbas,

The search for life on Mars, is the search for an answer to one of the most important questions mankind has ever posed - are we alone in the universe ?

If evidence of life is found on Mars, then we will know for a fact, that we are not the only planet that has ever harboured life. Furthermore, if two planets in the same solar system independantly generated life, then we will probably find that the universe is absolutely teeming with life.

Given that the answer to all this could be right at our fingertips on Mars, it's no wonder the world's Space agencies are so keen to get over there with the latest technology available and search for signs of life. It would be one of the most important discoveries in history.

SaRuMaN, thank you for all the information!

Your comment regarding "two planets in the same Solar System" really got my attention!! ohmy.gif

Just recently. there appears to be evidence that The Inner Solar System Planets (Mars, Mercury, Venus and good ole Earth) were formed at "just" about the same time. Given this as a starting point, the odds seem to increase that what started "life" here at home, could have tickled "life" elsewhere........ Depending on a zillion common factors, plus each Planet's relationship to the Sun.

Mind boggling, no? Whew!! wink.gif

Nancy

http://www.spacenstuff.com/solarsystem/news.php?id=189

Now? I'm wondering if my computer is "possessed"   wacko.gif

I've tried and TRIED to eliminate the  8) Little Guy from my last posting, to no avail......... argggggggggg!!

Wow, Nancy! Looks like gremlins have invaded your pc!! devil.gif

I don't know what we want to find life on other plants for. They're always more intelligent and more advanced and have great big death-ray guns and are totally impervious to earth weaponry.

If you ask me we should be spending all this money on building great space gun type things.

Then we'll show the ugly green beggars who's boss when they try to mix it with the Earth Posse. alien.giflaugh.gif

KC??? If not gremlins? Then perhaps...... Aliens?? Ekkk!!

Just so dang frustrating!! LOL..... BUT?? I think I am "forum impaired"

crying.gif

If we find life in outerspace I don't think it's going to be on Mars!