Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will your name matter in heaven?

Afraid2Look

I was reading a magazine article on different names... and I thought.. what if my mom and dad chose to name me Melissa or something other than what my name is.. what if my name was supposed to be different? Is that what we'll call each other in heaven (by our given names)?

Questions that can't really be answered but I thought it was an interesting thought..

(for a minute at least.. lol)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walken

• Amalgamut

• SCARLET1

• star_child

Yes, you will have the same name in heaven.

The Bible talks about angels names. (Michael is one)

On other occasions it just mentions the word "Angel."

But in some cases the word "angel" means "messenger." Or "messenger from above."

But regardless, you should have a name.

I hope so! Its my ace-in-the-hole for getting in the pearly gates.

<--- Joseph Micheal Paul Devine. If that doesn't get me in, I'll have to sneak in the back way.......

When I see you in heaven, may be I will see you and your name as the combination of:

_____the punctual

______the patient house keeper

______the modest intellectual

etc., so how we live defines our real name, just a thought.

I don't think it will matter. Remember, your name is not part of you. 'A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet'. Your soul/spirit goes to heaven, not your actual body, not yet anyway.

Angels are messengers, not actually people who die and go to heaven. Just what I was always taught.

Angels are frequently described as gods children. Their names were given to them by him. They were all created by him, with the exception of Lucifer, who was born.

Your name was given to you in this world. Perhaps you'll be called it, but it was not destined for you before you were born.

Oh, but it was, Walken. All part of 'Gods Plan' if you believe in it. yes.gif

well my name is John thats a nice Heaven Name...

It means "God's Gracious Gift to the Earth" lol that cracks my friends up! original.gif

Hey...he is taking his gift back.... how rude

(J/K God dont smite me no.gif )

lol thumbsup.gif

John translates as rock in hebrew.

Thats why Jesus said; "On this rock I build my church" and then John was made the first pope.

Actually, it was Peter that Jesus was talking to in that verse, hence why many consider Peter to be the first Pope. And Peter means "stone" or "small rock" in Aramaic.

John in Hebrew means "God has favored" or as JohhnyBoyC said, "God's gift" or similar.

Just thought I'd toss in my few thoughts.

~Scarlet~

Peter. Thats what i meant. Yes.

• 1 month later...
I was reading a magazine article on different names... and I thought.. what if my mom and dad chose to name me Melissa or something other than what my name is..  what if my name was supposed to be different?  Is that what we'll call each other in heaven (by our given names)?

Questions that can't really be answered but I thought it was an interesting thought..

(for a minute at least.. lol)

597837[/snapback]

rofl.gif Yep. HEY YOU BUB!

ph34r.gif Dr.H

I don't think it will matter. Remember, your name is not part of you. 'A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet'. Your soul/spirit goes to heaven, not your actual body, not yet anyway.

Angels are messengers, not actually people who die and go to heaven. Just what I was always taught.

598976[/snapback]

wacko.gif I definitely agree with star-child. Of course, I cannot remember the names of things as it is. I do believe (without much evidence) that people can look however they want to look, in the "between." So, they might not look as you remember them. Also, they may be friends or relatives from other lifetimes, and you may have to expand your memories before you recognize them.

ph34r.gif Dr.H

I hope that my NAME means something in heaven!

innocent.gif

Being raised Catholic and saying all those Rosaries should amount to something!

innocent.gif

I hope so!  Its my ace-in-the-hole for getting in the pearly gates.

<--- Joseph Micheal Paul Devine.  If that doesn't get me in, I'll have to sneak in the back way.......

598101[/snapback]

I'll sneak past God and open the door for you. thumbsup.gif

Well, I have a problem. I was named after my grandfather. He was the mayor, and doctor of a small town, and had a part in some big oil discovery (no money).

Nonetheless, a historical state bronze marker was dedicated to him, and I gave the delivery speech impromptu. I never knew him- he died early.

My dad had nearly the same name. He died in disrepute with his family.

My sister says if we live the good life, our soul has all this business wiped away, and we start anew in heaven. I doubt I want this family name wagging after me forever.

If I was born, and christened, let it be so again.

BTW, I have enjoyed reading the thoughts gathered here.

Edited by leadbelly

Names are just sounds we use to recognize certain objects. When I think of someone usually a picture of them pops up in my head. In heaven you could just send images of people instead of names.

Names are just sounds we use to recognize certain objects. When I think of someone usually a picture of them pops up in my head. In heaven you could just send images of people instead of names.

702626[/snapback]

It's the symbolics of language. If I say tree....... well, what is a tree? Tree is just a word which has come commonly to represent an item/person. I could just as easily say "Baum" (German for tree), and those that understand German will relate that to tree.

And no one will have the same idea as to what "tree" is either. They might see a Christmas tree, an evergreen, a pine, fir, fig, willow.

Words are just symbols which have come to commonly represent a picture.

Until next time,

I wonder what language will be spoken in heaven? Latin? Hebrew? perhaps greek?

Or maybe its a special "angelic language".

Edited by Amalgamut

Who says we'll even need language. No physical bodies, remember.