Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A bit of star trivia

Starlyte

I was reading an article in my Astronomy magazine this morning on phase transitions of stars and came across a paragraph with a bit of interesting trivia I thought some of you may find interesting. I'll just quote the paragraph here:

Did you kow that Arcturus (known as the Bear Guardian and is the brightest star in the Boötes constellation) played a key role in opening the Chicago World's Fair of 1933?  Light from this star passed through a telescope and was collected on a photoelectric cell that converted starlight into the electricity that turned on the lights to the grounds.  Neat, eh?  This was 70 years ago.  And you thought Granny lived in the Dark Ages!

Oh, how times have changed.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starlyte

• SpaceyKC

• Homer

• j6p

Top Posters In This Topic

j6p, I am reminded of a quote from the movie "Ever After" (starring Drew Barrymore and Dougray Scott, a total chick flick). In it when asked what her favorite book is she says, "I could no sooner pick a favorite star in the heavens". I feel the same.

The Orion constellation has long been my favorite object in the night sky. But beyond that I must give due credit to our very own beautiful Sun, who without it life would cease to exist for us. So, to pick one would be impossible when there are billions to choose from, each exquisite in their own right. grin2.gif

Very nicely stated, starlyte. I also like Orion ~ that and the 'big dipper'

are my first observations on a clear night (oh and the moon if it's out) original.gif

Orion used to be my favorite, it still is great to look at especially knowing what stars and nebula make it up but my pet constellation is Cassiopeia. I guess I'm just a sucker for a beautiful woman. I know that it's just her sofa that we are looking at but ever since I saw "Clash of the Titans" (i think it was that one) I can picture her reclining in that big "W". The Pleiades are also an eye full, very mysterious.

I must give due credit to our very own beautiful Sun, who without it life would cease to exist for us.  So, to pick one would be impossible when there are billions to choose from, each exquisite in their own right. grin2.gif

That was very well said starlyte original.gif

My favorite star is my darlin' wub.gif

she is brighter than any star in the sky, she is hotter than any star in the sky, and she is more beautiful than any star in the sky. Like our sun is the center of our solar system, my darlin' is the center of my world, and like the planets, I revolve around her. wub.gifwub.gif

Very nicely stated, starlyte. I also like Orion ~ that and the 'big dipper'

are my first observations on a clear night

SpaceyK I think one of the reasons Orion is my favorite constellation is because it was one of the first ones I could learned about when a little girl.

My favorite star is my darlin'

Homer, your girl is a lucky lady and you a wonderful guy for realizing that you are also lucky to have her.

The Pleiades are also an eye full, very mysterious.

The Pleiades and Cassiopeia are both beautiful j6p!