Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. searches for pilots of two missing jets

__Kratos__

(CNN) -- A search is under way for the pilots of two Marine Corps F/A-18 jets that were lost Monday while flying in support of the war in Iraq, Navy officials said.

Navy officials told CNN they believe the jets collided with each other in bad weather during the routine mission.

The crew of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson lost contact with the planes about 10:10 p.m. (2:10 p.m. ET), a U.S. military statement said.

"There was no indication of hostile fire in the area at the time contact was lost," the military statement said.

The statement did not say if the planes were over land or sea when they lost contact.

The Boeing-built F/A-18 Hornet is an all-weather fight and attack aircraft that can carry either one- or two-person crews. The aircraft, with a price tag of $35 million and up, have been in service since the 1980s.

Source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are losing so many men and women to accidents, its unbelievable. no.gif I hope they got out at least and are just stranded.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Stellar

• jjtss

• mrmonsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

If they wew shot down there are two very important questions-how and by who?

These planes are not close ground support, that is they never get "that" close to the ground.

They could be taken out by a ground based missle-of which Iraq insurgents are not suppoesed to have, but of which Iran has many.

They could have been shot sown in a dog fight, but same problems as above.

NBC news said something about a possible midair collision-possible, but I find unlikly

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usiraqmilitary

dont get your hopes up. If its a collision in bad weather, chances are its due to them not seeing each other, which means they probably didnt have time to eject safely.

dont get your hopes up. If its a collision in bad weather, chances are its due to them not seeing each other, which means they probably didnt have time to eject safely.

602116[/snapback]

Till found, I can still hope for the soldiers.

You suppose that they didn't have IFR training??? Or maybe their flight instruments died of old age. Built in 1980, those planes are old, old, and older. That kind of equipment ages faster than cats!!!!

I am sure they are IFR rated pilots, I was IFR trained at the age of 19. I do fear that the pilots will not be found alive. "Tis a shame.