Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Hoagy

The body after death

Hoagy

Here is something I was thinking about at the weekend. I went to see the Body Worlds exhibition in downtown Chicago. Now for those who don't know, it shows the intricate workings of the human body, using real cadavers (the people had signed over their bodies for this purpose). It uses a process called 'plastinization' (I believe) to preserve them. More info can be found HERE. Now my question is really toward the religious members of the board here (although I would be interested to hear anyones feedback). Now, there are those who think that once the 'spirit' has left the body, the body is an empty vessel, and it gets buried or burnt or whatever, but I guess there are those people who also believe that even though the soul is departed, the corpse is still a person, and should be treated as such. I would like to know what people think about whether or not they would give themselves over to something 'Bodyworlds', in the interest of science, or whether they think that maybe from a religious viewpoint this would not be a good idea (you would be quite amazed at some peoples reactions in the exhibit). I personally think it's fascinating, but I could see that some found it a little unsettling.

Your thoughts?

Irish

From a Christian perspective you are right that the body is just a vessel for the spirit. Biblically speaking we are made of the dust of the earth (biological matter). And when our body dies it returns to the dust (biological matter). Holding to a belief otherwise would negate the miracle of resurrection. Those buried at sea of destroyed by fire or scattered by predators it might be tough to find all the pieces.

I have a friend who has cystic fibrosis who received a lung transplant a couple of years back if it was not for the unselfish person who willed that there organs could be used after death she would not be alive today.

All The Best

Irish

Hoagy

indeed, I myself am also a donor. I just thought it would be interesting to see what the feeling was about this.

Thanks Irish thumbsup.gif

Jodie.Lynne

when you order Chinese take away, after you have consumed the delicacies within the containers, what do you do with the containers?

For me, the body is merely the container. Whatever happens on the other side of death, the container is no longer necessary to you.

I am an organ donor also.

Paranoid Android

Organ donor here too.

I believe that the body is simply a vessel, but on a human level, having a proper burial and seeing the body of a loved one go into the ground provides a certain closure. The organs of an organ donor get taken out and given to those who need it, but the body is then, at least as far as i know, put into a regular coffin and buried.

I'd feel strange knowing if a loved was sitting on display for people to look at...

Until next time,

Jodie.Lynne

Actually, the idea sounds cool. And useful. As opposed to sticking a box & a body into ground that could be used for another purpose.

star_child

This reminds me of a short series of documentaries on Channel 4 over here in Britain. There was a dead body each show that was cut open in some way or another, and a live autopsy was performed. The bodies had been left to science, and I hate to say it, but I was strangely fascinated by the show. I only seen bits of it, but I surprisingly was not grossed out at all by some dead dudes skin bing pulled off.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this, as there were medical students present too, who obviously learnt a lot from this. As long as the people die of natural causes, it is fine. It educates people, and probably from the experience, they would perhaps learn to save peoples lives.

mako

Remember that (insert vehicle discription and year here) that you had as your first car. The one that was hauled off eventually to the Wrecking Yard. Well, that is your body after death. You loved that car dearly and you love your body dearly; but someday you outgrow both - Mako yes.gif

Irish
indeed, I myself am also a donor.  I just thought it would be interesting to see what the feeling was about this.

Thanks Irish  thumbsup.gif

602740[/snapback]

That would explain your complexion grin2.gif Perhaps try a little moisturizer thumbsup.gif

Irish

Hoagy
indeed, I myself am also a donor.  I just thought it would be interesting to see what the feeling was about this.

Thanks Irish  thumbsup.gif

602740[/snapback]

That would explain your complexion grin2.gif Perhaps try a little moisturizer thumbsup.gif

Irish

602934[/snapback]

haha! says you, Father Jack!

w00t.gif

Its a bit of an odd question I posed, I guess. I know that some religions regard the body as holy even after death, right? I did'nt knbow if those people would disagree leaving your remains to medical science?

star_child

Hmmm...I see what you mean. But if you think about it, we do not get rid of the body in such a way that would seem disrespectful, it is buried or cremated or put in a tomb (often depending on religion). Perhaps it dates back to civilizations such as the Egyptians, who took such great care in preparing the body for the 'after life'.

I have experienced one death in my family, my Grandmother. I wasn't allowed to see the body during the wake, but I knew she had her favourite Sunday Outfit on, and the funeral organizers made sure the coffin was perfect and all, so I guess it does matter. But whether or not you leave your body to science, that is up to you. I know I want to be an organ donor too.