Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

101 contradictions in the Bible

Discordia

dont you have better things to do than find that stuff?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amalgamut

• MrScienceGuy

• zandore

• Paranoid Android

Does every man sin?

(a)  Yes. “There is no man who does not sin” (I Kings 8:46; see also 2 Chronicles 6:36; Proverbs 20:9; Ecclesiastes 7:20; and I John 1:810)

(b )  No. True Christians cannot possibly sin, because they are the children of God. “Every one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is a child of God.. (I John 5:1). “We should be called children of God; and so we are” (I John 3: 1). “He who loves is born of God” (I John 4:7). “No one born of God commits sin; for God’s nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God” (I John 3:9). But, then again, Yes! “If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (I John 1:8)

602682[/snapback]

Sounds to me like you are botching the lines...

"Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well." (1 John 5:1)

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him." (1 John 3:1)

This may indeed tell us why Christians are under so much scrutiny and criticism. For how can the world understand us, if they do not understand Him.?

Again in 1 John...

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God." (1 John 3:9)

This never states that man will not sin. It says no one will continue to sin.

Continuing to sin (as used in this scripture) without knowing, it is not a child of God.

Many Christians do sin, as we see this in "option (a)" above. What 1 John 3:9 is saying is that a child born unto God will not go on continuing to sin.

Ask any Christian if they have ever felt good about sinning afterwards. The answer is no. Christians sense sin, and try hard to stay away from it. However, it still happens. Christians do not feel good about sinning, many feel bad about it. Therefore, they repent. They know they cannot go on sinning the rest of their lives, and they know this, because they have the Holy Spirit living in them.

We see more about this subject in 1 John 1:8-9...

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrightousness." (1 John 1:8-9)

God is giving the option for sinners to repent.

And again, in the following verse..

"If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives." (1 John 1:10)

If we cannot recognize sin, then his word has no place in our lives.

Meaning, basically, if we don't know what sin is, we dont know who God is.

Therefore we are nothing.

Again, there is no contradiction. The full meaning cannot be understood unless you put the pieces together.

Who will bear whose burden?

(a)  “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2)

(b )  “Each man will have to bear his own load” (Galatians 6:5)

602682[/snapback]

If you read the entirety of the scripture, you will understand this passage.

"Brothers, if someone is caught in sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load." (Galatians 6:1-5)

This means we should help each other in times of need, but be aware not to fall into sin.

"Each one should carry his own load." This means you still have to be accountable for yourself.

No contradiction here.

How many disciples did Jesus appear to after his resurrection?

(a)  Twelve (I Corinthians 15:5)

(b )  Eleven (Matthew 27:3-5 and Acts 1:9-26, see also Matthew 28:16; Mark 16:14 footnote; Luke 24:9; Luke 24:3 3)

602682[/snapback]

"and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve" ( 1 Corinthians 13:5)

In the acounts of the "eleven disciples" the documentation was correct. Hence, Judas had passed away, so there were only eleven.

You can see this by doing simple math...

12-1=11

Where was Jesus three days after his baptism?

(a)  After his baptism, “the spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days ... (Mark 1:12-13)

(b )  Next day after the baptism, Jesus selected two disciples. Second day: Jesus went to Galilee - two more disciples. Third day: Jesus was at a wedding feast in Cana in Galilee (see John 1:35; 1:43; 2:1-11)

602682[/snapback]

You must fail to realize that Jesus was the Son of God.

He could be in two places at the same time with no problem, for the Lord is all powerful and all seeing.

Was baby Jesus’ life threatened in Jerusalem?

(a)  Yes, so Joseph fled with him to Egypt and stayed there until Herod died (Matthew 2:13 23)

(b )  No. The family fled nowhere. They calmly presented the child at the Jerusalem temple according to the Jewish customs and returned to Galilee (Luke 2:21-40)

602682[/snapback]

Both passages are correct. These scriptures compliment each other. It may taken some time for for Herod to figure out the birth of the infant, since the magi outsmarted him.

"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshipped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh" (Matt 2:11)

"And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route." (Matt 2:12)

So this would have given them time to do their rituals in Jerumsalem, from there they went to Galilee, and then to Egypt till after the death of Herod.

Thus, fulfilling prophecy "...and so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my Son." (Matt 2:15)

One chapter points out certain things, while the other does not. However, they still are 100% compatible.

Another reason for this was to point out the prophecy of Matthew 2:15.

When Jesus walked on water how did the disciples respond?

(a)  They worshipped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God” (Matthew 14:33)

(b )  “They were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened” (Mark 6:51-52)

602682[/snapback]

Again, we have two complimentary scriptures...

If you read Matthew 14:26-28 you will understand.

"When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear." (Matt 14:26-28)

"And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshipped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God." (Matt 14:33)

"Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completly amazed, for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened." (Mark 6:51-52)

It says they were startled in both cases. After they calmed down, Matthew explains why they worshipped him.

Yes I suppose that some of these contradictions could account for translation mistakes, but not all.

602682[/snapback]

Yes, they seem contradictory due to the lack of understanding.

And if these are the words of God, or words inspired from god then how come many statements countradict themselves?

602682[/snapback]

They don't, I just showed you why.

If the bible was truely inspired by the divine wouldn't you think the facts would be straight?

602682[/snapback]

They are.

Im still working on my post, so it may look weird for a bit.

I just wanted to submit it, in case something got erased.

604045[/snapback]

I'm really impressed, Amalgamut. Can't believe you did this so quickly....

Congrats,

604109[/snapback]

Thank you.

dont you have better things to do than find that stuff?

604449[/snapback]

Whom is your question directed to?

If it's to me, the answer is no.

If the question is directed to the others, then the answer is no.

Save your time I went through 4 or 5 of them and he was wrong.

604405[/snapback]

Ok, show me where I was wrong, and tell me why you think I am wrong.

Amalgamut, to me it seems as if your grasping onto anything that could possibly explain the differences and for the most part your answers are much like pseudo-science. hmm.gif

Also how can you disregard the fact that many stories from the bible are so "coincidentally" similar to older religions? Which someone had mentioned earlier on in this thread. happy.gif

Take a moment to analyze this from a Scientific view. If there is something wrong in an equation or "facts" don't seem to match up it is incorrect. Thus then Scientists can look at different methods to solve a problem. The funny thing is, there are so many things in the bible that don't match up and even when people try to give answers to why so, they are often half baked ones.

no one ever relplies to any of my posts. that makes me sad. sad.gif

oh well.

Amalgamut, to me it seems as if your grasping onto anything that could possibly explain the differences and for the most part your answers are much like pseudo-science.  hmm.gif

604607[/snapback]

I am? How. I am simply using scripture, to prove scripture.

Also how can you disregard the fact that many stories from the bible are so "coincidentally" similar to older religions? Which someone had mentioned earlier on in this thread.  happy.gif

604607[/snapback]

Did I disregard that? Where?

Take a moment to analyze this from a Scientific view. If there is something wrong in an equation or "facts" don't seem to match up it is incorrect.

604607[/snapback]

Why don't you take a moment and analyze this from a "reading comprehension" point of view.

Thus then Scientists can look at different methods to solve a problem.

604607[/snapback]

I don't know why you are talking about scientist, are you sure you are in the right thread?

The funny thing is, there are so many things in the bible that don't match up and even when people try to give answers to why so, they are often half baked ones.

604607[/snapback]

So many things? Where, because I see none.

The only thing "half baked" is the weak attempt to show any contradictions.

no one ever relplies to any of my posts. that makes me sad. sad.gif

oh well.

604637[/snapback]

Hey, I'm replying!

Thanks for the links you provided earlier. However I did not use them.

I kinda wanted to do this on my own. But thanks.

i was kinda refering to my first post where i explain the difference between the two verses from galations and the accounts about sauls death. ive posted those twice, but never seem to get a reply.

You have one already post 46# at the top of this page.

In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

(a) Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)

(b ) One million, one hundred thousand (IChronicles 21:5)

In the book of Samuel, 300,000 men were left out.

Its simple really, those 300,000 men were not recognized as "men of the sword" of this time. So, they were left out of the counting.

This is probably a lesson in itself to show that the number of an army does not matter to God, only to man.

And Joab gave up the sum of the number of the people unto the king: and there were in Israel eight hundred thousand valiant men that drew the sword; and the men of Judah were five hundred thousand men.

And Joab gave the sum of the number of the people unto David. And all they of Israel were a thousand thousand and an hundred thousand men  that drew sword and: Judah was four hundred threescore and ten thousand men that drew sword.

How many fighting men were found in Judah?

(a)  Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)

(b ) Four hundred and seventy thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)

In 1Chronicles 21:6 it says "But Joab did not include Levi and Benjamin in the numbering...."

So, in 1Chron 21:6 it says that some men were left out.

In 2 Samuel 24:9, it does not.

I put Israel in red and Judah in green. This is what 1 Chron 21:6 says
But Levi and Benjamin counted he not among them: for the king's word was abominable to Joab.
Only two men was not counted.

That was two with a bonus thrown in.

Like i said:

Can you say CONTRADICTIONS? I will let any one that wants to look for them selves to see the contradictions in the Bible. I will not try to mis inform them like you are trying to do.
Edited by zandore

Amalgamut, to me it seems as if your grasping onto anything that could possibly explain the differences and for the most part your answers are much like pseudo-science.  hmm.gif

604607[/snapback]

If thats what you would like to call it. w00t.gif

Take a moment to analyze this from a Scientific view. If there is something wrong in an equation or "facts" don't seem to match up it is incorrect.

604607[/snapback]

Why don't you take a moment and analyze this from a "reading comprehension" point of view.

Thus then Scientists can look at different methods to solve a problem.

604607[/snapback]

I don't know why you are talking about scientist, are you sure you are in the right thread?

The funny thing is, there are so many things in the bible that don't match up and even when people try to give answers to why so, they are often half baked ones.

604607[/snapback]

So many things? Where, because I see none.

The only thing "half baked" is the weak attempt to show any contradictions.

604638[/snapback]

It's not hard to read into things, s'pecailly when they are left so open. And yes I am sure I am in the right thread, 'cause what else debunks Religion better than Science? It is very much relevant to this thread. The contradictions are right there in black and white, so go ahead and call them "half baked." thumbsup.gif

Also how can you disregard the fact that many stories from the bible are so "coincidentally" similar to older religions? Which someone had mentioned earlier on in this thread.  happy.gif

604607[/snapback]

Not saying that you disregard it but could you explain why that is the case? rofl.gif

If thats what you would like to call it. w00t.gif
You are doing a better job disproving religion than you are proving. laugh.gif
....'cause what else debunks Religion better than Science?
Religion! Bedunk religion with religion. Use there own words against them selves.

It's not hard to read into things, s'pecailly when they are left so open.

604666[/snapback]

Thats my point I have been trying to get across to people. I am glad you saw it.

And yes I am sure I am in the right thread, 'cause what else debunks Religion better than Science?

604666[/snapback]

Again, I'm not sure how "101 Bible Contradictions" has anything to do with science really. Much less in proving your point. And again, I fail to see how science debunks religion.

You make such a bold statement, why don't you tell me why you think that.

It is very much relevant to this thread. The contradictions are right there in black and white, so go ahead and call them "half baked."  thumbsup.gif

604666[/snapback]

I never called them half baked. You did.

It is very much relevant to this thread. The contradictions are right there in black and white, so go ahead and call them "half baked." thumbsup.gif 
I never called them half baked. You did.
I looked and Amal is right.

604607[/snapback]

Not saying that you disregard it but could you explain why that is the case? rofl.gif

604677[/snapback]

I'm not sure if we are smoking the same thing. unsure.gif

You JUST said....

Also how can you disregard the fact that many stories from the bible are so "coincidentally" similar to older religions?

604607[/snapback]

And then you say...

Not saying that you disregard it but could you explain why that is the case?  rofl.gif

604677[/snapback]

Make up your mind before you say something, then come back and ask again. Because what you say makes no sense. You might as well talk in Latin.

What I had said was that the explanations that you use are half baked and you said the only thing half baked was the contradictions... that is why I said that. (too lazy to quote hmm.gif )

Also, I don't know what to tell you if you do not understand why I used Science as a comparison because I think it's quite clear on why I did so.

Okay to clear things up on the 'Disregard' thing. I meant many people Disregard that fact, worded it wrong. Not that you disregarded it. I can't keep up with these posts, lol.

Zandore he did say that, I made a statment about it first though.

Edited by Discordia

Also, I don't know what to tell you if you do not understand why I used Science as a comparison  because I think it's quite clear on why I did so.

604700[/snapback]

Please, tell me why. I fail to see why. What is so clear?

I can't keep up with these posts, lol.

604700[/snapback]

Thats ok, I'll be here all week.

You have one already post 46# at the top of this page.

In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

(a) Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)

(b ) One million, one hundred thousand (IChronicles 21:5)

In the book of Samuel, 300,000 men were left out.

Its simple really, those 300,000 men were not recognized as "men of the sword" of this time. So, they were left out of the counting.

This is probably a lesson in itself to show that the number of an army does not matter to God, only to man.

And Joab gave up the sum of the number of the people unto the king: and there were in Israel eight hundred thousand valiant men that drew the sword; and the men of Judah were five hundred thousand men.

And Joab gave the sum of the number of the people unto David. And all they of Israel were a thousand thousand and an hundred thousand men  that drew sword and: Judah was four hundred threescore and ten thousand men that drew sword.

How many fighting men were found in Judah?

(a)  Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)

(b ) Four hundred and seventy thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)

In 1Chronicles 21:6 it says "But Joab did not include Levi and Benjamin in the numbering...."

So, in 1Chron 21:6 it says that some men were left out.

In 2 Samuel 24:9, it does not.

I put Israel in red and Judah in green. This is what 1 Chron 21:6 says
But Levi and Benjamin counted he not among them: for the king's word was abominable to Joab.
Only two men was not counted.

That was two with a bonus thrown in.

Like i said:

Can you say CONTRADICTIONS? I will let any one that wants to look for them selves to see the contradictions in the Bible. I will not try to mis inform them like you are trying to do.

604663[/snapback]

Ok Zandore. I tried to keep this all nice and short and sweet, but I will give you what I'm trying to say in a different form.

Keep in mind, I am borrowing this from someone...

Observe that 1 Chronicles 21:6 clearly states that Joab did not complete the numbering, as he had not yet taken a census of the tribe of Benjamin, nor that of Levi's either, due to the fact that David came under conviction about completing the census at all. Thus the different numbers indicate the inclusion or exclusion of particular unspecified groups in the nation. We find another reference to this in 1 Chronicles 27:23-24 where it states that David did not include those twenty years old and younger, and that since Joab did not finish the census the number was not recorded in King David's Chronicle.

The procedure for conducting the census had been to start with the trans-Jordanian tribes (2 Samuel 24:5) and then shift to the northern most tribe of Dan and work southward towards Jerusalem (verse 7). The numbering of Benjamin, therefore, would have come last. Hence Benjamin would not be included with the total for Israel or of that for Judah, either. In the case of 2 Samuel 24, the figure for Judah included the already known figure of 30,000 troops mustered by Benjamin. Hence the total of 500,000 included the Benjamite contingent.

Observe that after the division of the United Kingdom into the North and the South following the death of Solomon in 930 BC, most of the Benjamites remained loyal to the dynasty of David and constituted (along with Simeon to the south) the kingdom of Judah. Hence it was reasonable to include Benjamin with Judah and Simeon in the sub-total figure of 500,000, even though Joab may not have itemized it in the first report he gave to David (1 Chronicles 21:5). Therefore the completed grand total of fighting forces available to David for military service was 1,600,000 (1,100,000 of Israel, 470,000 of Judah-Simeon, and 30,000 of Benjamin).

(Archer 1982:188-189 and Light of Life II 1992:189)

Zandore he did say that, I made a statment about it first though.

Here is the whole post. You was talking about answers and I agree with you.

Take a moment to analyze this from a Scientific view. If there is something wrong in an equation or "facts" don't seem to match up it is incorrect. Thus then Scientists can look at different methods to solve a problem. The funny thing is, there are so many things in the bible that don't match up and even when people try to give answers to why so, they are often half baked ones.

604607[/snapback]

604663[/snapback]

I noticed the bold lettering.

How would I be trying to misinform anyone? (I'm assuming you are talking about me.)

If anyone is trying to "misinform" its the person that made this topic up.

Observe that 1 Chronicles 21:6 clearly states that Joab did not complete the numbering, as he had not yet taken a census of the tribe of Benjamin, nor that of Levi's either, due to the fact that David came under conviction about completing the census at all.
Lets see what the verse in question says.....
Nope nothing about tribes or anything about David being under any kind of conviction. Digging the hole deeper.

None of the ones I looked at that you rebuffed were right. They all were contradiction.

Also, I don't know what to tell you if you do not understand why I used Science as a comparison  because I think it's quite clear on why I did so.

604700[/snapback]

Please, tell me why. I fail to see why. What is so clear?

I can't keep up with these posts, lol.

604700[/snapback]

Thats ok, I'll be here all week.

604716[/snapback]

Basically try to explain Religion with Science. If you would use Science to prove religion it will always come up inconclusive. There may be facts supporting that certain people from the bible did exist but it doesn't make whats in the bible true. Also the way your trying to use the scripture to prove scripture is so much like Pseudo-Science because your trying to give explinations on clear contradictions with other mumbo-jumbo. Do you see where I am coming from? hmm.gif

I noticed the bold lettering.
That was the game plan.
How would I be trying to misinform anyone? (I'm assuming you are talking about me.)
Yes that was why I said for others to look the verses in question up for them selves. Not to believe you or me but their own eyes.
If anyone is trying to "misinform" its the person that made this topic up.
No they was just trying to open said eyes.