Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Languages

__Kratos__

I was thinking about this the other day, and a girl in my class told me that the bible had a thing about languages in it's text. I was mainly wondering on if this is true and if it is, how does it explain them?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Consummate Deist

• Amalgamut

• __Kratos__

• Subtemperate

Top Posters In This Topic

Your friend was probably referring to the myth of the Tower of Babel. Supposedly mankind had decided to build a tower to heaven and Genesis 11:9 says that God took the following action against them, “Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth; and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of the earth.” Genesis 11:1 stated, “And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.” However, in the 10th chapter of Genesis this is contradicted in five different verses. Genesis 10: 5 says, “By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations”. Genesis 10:20 says, “These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their nations”. Finally, Genesis 10:31 says, “These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their nations“. This shows that there were more than one language existing at the time of the “Tower of Babel” and The story further insults our intelligence by pandering to the long discredited concept of a flat, motionless earth located at the center of a simple three-tiered universe with heaven above and hell below. But that is probably what your friend was thinking of since most Christians never look at the contradiction there! - CD thumbsup.gif

Your friend was probably referring to the myth of the Tower of Babel.  Supposedly mankind had decided to build a tower to heaven and Genesis 11:9 says that God took the following action against them, “Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth; and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of the earth.”  Genesis 11:1 stated, “And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.”  However, in the 10th chapter of Genesis this is contradicted in five different verses.  Genesis 10: 5 says, “By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations”.  Genesis 10:20 says, “These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their nations”.  Finally, Genesis 10:31 says, “These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their nations“.  This shows that there were more than one language existing at the time of the “Tower of Babel” and  The story further insults our intelligence by pandering to the long discredited concept of a flat, motionless earth located at the center of a simple three-tiered universe with heaven above and hell below.  But that is probably what your friend was thinking of since most Christians never look at the contradiction there! - CD  thumbsup.gif

608102[/snapback]

You are right, Christians never look at this "contradiction" simply because there is none.

Genesis chapter 10 is a Genealogy of all the sons after Noah. It does in fact say they had many different languages.

However, Genesis chapter 11 tells how and why they had different languages. It just tells the story of why this was so.

Genesis 11 should have probably been put in chapter 10, but again, like I said, chapter 10 is just showing the entire genealogy. Whereas 11 is telling why the languages were different.

It's like me saying "My sons played different games." But then the next line me saying "They all played the same game, and then they had some confusion, and they started changing their games around, so therefore they play different games now."

No contradiction.

Edited by Amalgamut

The story further insults our intelligence by pandering to the long discredited concept of a flat, motionless earth located at the center of a simple three-tiered universe with heaven above and hell below.  But that is probably what your friend was thinking of since most Christians never look at the contradiction there! - CD  thumbsup.gif

608102[/snapback]

Hmmmm...and where does it say this?

You are right, Christians never look at this "contradiction" simply because there is none.

Genesis chapter 10 is a Genealogy of all the sons after Noah. It does in fact say they had many different languages.

However, Genesis chapter 11 tells how and why they had different languages. It just tells the story of why this was so.

Genesis 11 should have probably been put in chapter 10,

Sorry, that is just how you read it. If you put the genealogy from Chapter 11 in Chapter 10 as you suggest, then the Tower of Babel fable would come afterwards and there would have already been more than one language. The contradiction stands. Someday, you might actually offer evidence instead of your opinion. I noticed that problem in your attempts at rebutting the 101 Contradictions

Hmmmm...and where does it say this?

It says parts of it in many different places. 1 Sam 2:8 indicates that the earth sits on pillars, 1 Chron 16:30 shows that it is firm and immovable. Isaiah 11:12 shows that the world is square. Genesis 1:2 shows that originally creation was all water (this fits with the world view held by all ancient middle eastern cultures that the “world” was a dry bubble completely surrounded by water) and in Genesis 1:6-7 that God had to divide them by placing a firmament between them (the heavens). In Genesis 1:16-17 he made the Sun, Moon and stars and set them in the firmament of the heaven. Then in Genesis 7:11, he opened the windows in the firmament along with fountains of the deep to loose the water of the great flood (see, you open the windows and fountains and the water surrounding the “dry bubble of the world” can come in!). Might also check Isaiah 40: 21-22, keeping in mind that the circle of the earth and curtains of heaven spread out as a tent to live in are indicative of a flat earth (not even necessarily a circle, your view as you turn 360 degrees is the circle of the earth) with a dome over it. - CD thumbsup.gif

Sorry, that is just how you read it.  If you put the genealogy from Chapter 11 in Chapter 10 as you suggest, then the Tower of Babel fable would come afterwards and there would have already been more than one language.  The contradiction stands.

612484[/snapback]

When someone in the Bible says, "This is the account of..." It means "This is the genealogy of."

Like I said, in Genesis 10 it gives the genealogy. In 11, it tells us the world originally had "one language" and also tells what happened to make the people change their tongue.

The only reason why Genesis 10 is where it is, is because it talks about the "sons of Noah" in Genesis 9. So it was appropriate to put chapter 10 where it was, and 11 to follow.

Again, if you picked up your Bible and read the full story, you would see.

Someday, you might actually offer evidence instead of your opinion.  I noticed that problem in your attempts at rebutting the 101 Contradictions

612484[/snapback]

Likewise. thumbsup.gif Like you are showing any "evidence". The only "evidence" you have is that the scripture is right after the other one. You simply aren't understanding the passages, and their reason for their placement.

If anything at all, the fact that you calling this a contradiction is an opinion, and a massive shot in the dark.

It says parts of it in many different places.  1 Sam 2:8 indicates that the earth sits on pillars,

612484[/snapback]

How would this signify a flat earth? Pillars are often used to hold something up, that is round. Like a globe on pillars.

Besides, this scripture isn't talking about the geometry of the earth, it's talking about how God is showing how important the earth is, it's position, and that it's his creation.

It is just using figurative language here, and thats pretty obvious.

1 Chron 16:30 shows that it is firm and immovable.

612484[/snapback]

This is a Psalm from David. Again he is not talking about the actual specifications of the earth.He is saying that God's word is as firm as the ground. You are trying to make a mountain out of a ant hill.

Isaiah 11:12 shows that the world is square.

612484[/snapback]

Four quarters of the earth? is that what you mean?

I take it you have never heard the expression (4 corners of the earth)?

Just about anytime you see the number "4" in the Bible, its talking about the earth. This is just saying the scattered people will gather from all over the earth,(all 4 corners) and they shall meet. It says absolutey nothing of the earth "being square." Sure, a square has 4 corners, but they are using this as the same expression that we have today. "All the people gathered, from the four corners of the earth."

Genesis 1:2 shows that originally creation was all water (this fits with the  world view held by all ancient middle eastern cultures that the “world” was a dry bubble completely surrounded by water)  in Genesis 1:6-7 that God had to divide them by placing a firmament between them (the heavens).  In Genesis 1:16-17 he made the Sun, Moon and stars and set them in the firmament of the heaven.  Then in Genesis 7:11, he opened the windows in the firmament along with fountains of the deep to loose the water of the great flood

612484[/snapback]

I fail to see your point here. What exactly are you saying?

Might also check Isaiah 40: 21-22, keeping in mind that the circle of the earth and curtains of heaven spread out as a tent to live in are indicative of a flat earth (not even necessarily a circle, your view as you turn 360 degrees is the circle of the earth) with a dome over it.  - CD  thumbsup.gif

612484[/snapback]

See? It says "Circle of the Earth" in Isaiah. laugh.gif

He says "he spreads out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

Notice the word "like." He is just giving some idea. Many people of this time didn't know what a "dome" was anyway. A "tent" would be much easier to relate to.

The question was answered, and by request fo the thread starter I have closed this thread.