Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comming up on the Litha, aka Middsummer

SilverCougar

The summer solstice will soon be apon us... and that means the celebration of Midsummer... The God is at the peak of his power, as is all of nature's bounty. The Earth is awash in the fertility of the Goddess and God. It is the high time of the Sun and is marked with festivals of fire.

My point to this... is the ever amazing beauty that the Goddess and her consort holds for us with each passing sabbat.

Giving some information:

The two chief icons of the holiday are the spear (symbol of the Sun-God in his glory) and the summer cauldron (symbol of the Goddess in her bounty).

It is so hospitable to outdoor celebrations. The warm summer night seems to invite it. And if the celebrants are not in fact skyclad, then you may be fairly certain that the long ritual robes of winter have yielded place to short, tunic-style apparel. As with the longer gowns, tradition dictates that one should wear nothing underneath -- the next best thing to skyclad, to be sure.

It is appropriate also, to have honey on the altar during the Cakes and Wine to dip your cakes in for this celebration. In our tradition, we always have honey on the altar to symbolize the sweetness of life. It also is a symbol of what combined energies to a single goal can accomplish!

The Christian religion converted this day of Jack-in-the-Green to the Feast of St. John the Baptist, often portraying him in rustic attire, sometimes with horns and cloven feet (like the Greek Demi-God Pan)

Although the name Litha is not well attested, it may come from Saxon tradition -- the opposite of Yule. On this longest day of the year, light and life are abundant. At mid-summer, the Sun God has reached the moment of his greatest strength. Seated on his greenwood throne, he is also lord of the forests, and his face is seen in church architecture peering from countless foliate masks.

The longest day of the year and the Sun God at his strongest. The Goddess is heavy with pregnancy just as the Earth is ready for harvesting. It also marks the waning of the year as each day becomes shorter, heralding the onset of Autumn and then Winter.

Deities associated with Litha include all Father Gods and Mother Goddesses, Pregnant Goddesses and Sun Deities. Particular emphasis might be placed on the Goddesses Aphrodite, Astarte, Freya, Hathor, Ishtar, Venus and other Goddesses who preside over love, passion and beauty. Other Litha deities include Athena, Artemis, Dana, Kali, Isis, Juno, Apollo, Dagda, Gwydion, Helios, Llew, Oak/Holly King, Lugh, Ra, Sol, Zeus, Prometheus, Ares, and Thor.

original.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• Jodie.Lynne

• Kismit

• Netwolf111

I wish you well on the festival of Litha.

Although, in this part of the country, it is still flippin' cold! Those winter robes might be more appropriate.

Really? Odd.. I called my mother the other day, and she said it was warm there... ;P and by there I mean the Adirondacks.

Catskills, actually. Earlier today in NYC, it actually felt like s-n-o-w weather.

Catskills, actually.  Earlier today in NYC, it actually felt like s-n-o-w weather.

609430[/snapback]

Weird deal... ._o

Great post Silver, original.gif

it's times like this, that you really notice a difference between the two hemispheres ...brrrrrr,...

Here in the UK today it is absolutely freezing! crying.gif

Although Litha is a bit down the road yet (give me chance to experience the effects of Beltane first rofl.gif ) it does conjure up a picture of sun and fun. Right now I'm in me winter warmers original.gif

Yeah.. it was warm earlier now it's cold and rainy... Huzzah for seattle!

MM~

What a wonderful and informational post! I'm also still enjoying the effects of Beltane. It was the first ritual I've ever been able to do outside! I'm very much looking forward to Litha.

May I post the information you put here on my message board? I'd love to share it with everyone!

Blessings,

Kaia Pythia

Go for it =) It's here for all to see =)