Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monkey Pox

Delacorr

This a photo of my friend's arm. He is a pet handler at a local vetinary hospital and these sores have been appearing on his arm and back...could he have monkey pox? Friend Pic

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Delacorr

• Althalus

• Abducted

• weezil936

A better picture might help. That could be anything from acne to craters on the surface of Mars. If it were me and I was faced with something forming on me the first thing I would go is the doctor, not asking a friend if I had a disease.

Never heard of Monkey Pox, but it does look like a ver bad case of Chicken Pox or Measles.

Monkey Pox? I'm ment to know what that is? Ok, well, anyway. It really could be anything, from Measles, chicken pox, Acne, who knows.

Can somebody explain monkey pox?

It's bigger than smallpox,

fouler than chickenpox,

and beefier than cowpox.

It could be anything , for goodness sake he should go see a Doctor . Even if it isn't monkey pox it dosen't look comfortable .

dry.gif

Very good advice from Kismit there, go and see a doctor, as it could be anything.

There stood something in our local newspaper about the Monkey Pocks. There was an outbreak in the Mid West of the USA. But Althalus' article already said that original.gif

Odin

I really don't know what that could be .. unsure.gif

But as I think ... he should go to the doctor rolleyes.gif

Some idiot exotic pet handler sold some asian Rat to somebody in the US (who would want a RAT?)...the rat somehow contracted monley pox, something like chicken pox but on monkeys, and the rat infested the prairie dog population in the west which were shipped out all over the country to pet stores...people are idiots...

In humans, the clinical features of monkeypox are similar to those of smallpox, except that swelling of lymph nodes is associated with monkeypox. About 12 days after exposure, the illness begins with fever, headache, muscle aches, backache, swollen lymph nodes, a general feeling of discomfort, and exhaustion. Within one to three days (sometimes longer) after onset of fever, the patient develops a papular rash (i.e., raised bumps), often first on the face but sometimes initially on other parts of the body. The lesions usually develop through several stages before crusting and falling off. The illness typically lasts for two to four weeks. In Africa, monkeypox is fatal in as many as 10 percent of people who get the disease; the case fatality ratio for smallpox was about 30 percent before the disease was eradicated.

eeeww nasty!!

weird, not the spots, but the fact that it was scanned out of an already printed source. I can tell by the moire pattern that has formed due to scanning something that has previously been screened in the printing process. So unless your friend was in a magazine or a local newspaper, I don't really believe this pic....i think

It was a film print that they took of with a digital camera and then sent it in to a health organization..

• 2 weeks later...

ohhh yeah! this was on the news a little while ago. pet shop keepers and vets and owners of prarie dogs were getting infected. :shrug: no biggie. sucks for him