Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voices of the dead ?

UM-Bot

microphone.jpg
Can voices of the dead be heard on ordinary audio tapes recorded in a quiet room? Swedish archeologist, documentary maker and artist Friedrich Juergenson pioneered research into Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP).

Eighteen years after his death, interest in EVP is surging thanks to the horror movie White Noise in which Michael Keaton receives messages from his dead wife.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo! News

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bogeyman

• Nirwana

• UM-Bot

• liljellybean

I highly doubt that you can. I mean it made a great theme for a mvie and all but thats all, its like saying if you watch a blurry tv with static you can see faces of the dead.

I used to doubt it too, till I picked up voices on my first investigation with another group. We picked up about 60 voices. Most of them residual. From then on I've been getting voices on tape in all my investigations. Granted our group is new in the Iowa area the beginning of this year, but I can't imagine what will happen next. From what I've found, I believe that houses are like it's own recorder, any voice used with an emotion is recorded in the walls and keeps playing itself over and over again. I've gotten intelligent ones too. Also I have spoke to a member of my family who is on the other side, through a recorder. No white noise is used to record these voices, and recently I found a wonderful website to help me diagnose any potential voices that are under the range of 1000 kHz is not of human nature.

So that's my opinion.

Take care all,

Nicki

I used to doubt it too, till I picked up voices on my first investigation with another group. We picked up about 60 voices. Most of them residual. From then on I've been getting voices on tape in all my investigations. Granted our group is new in the Iowa area the beginning of this year, but I can't imagine what will happen next. From what I've found, I believe that houses are like it's own recorder, any voice used with an emotion is recorded in the walls and keeps playing itself over and over again. I've gotten intelligent ones too. Also I have spoke to a member of my family who is on the other side, through a recorder. No white noise is used to record these voices, and recently I found a wonderful website to help me diagnose any potential voices that are under the range of 1000 kHz is not of human nature.

So that's my opinion.

Take care all,

Nicki

622474[/snapback]

How do you record the sound to pickup those voices? just normal recording equipment?

Just a normal tape recorder will do....or even a digital one.

Go to www.worlditc.org for all the information you will need.If you are sceptical about this and are willing to try it prepare to have all your sceptical beliefs severely challenged......!

I have yet to see that movie for fear that it will scare me out of my witts. Now i will definately have to go see it.

i believe in white noise because im terrified of it. I wont try it because i am afraid i might actually pick something up in my home or something and never sleep comfortabilly again.

Just a normal tape recorder will do....or even a digital one.

Go to www.worlditc.org for all the information you will need.If you are sceptical about this and are willing to try it prepare to have all your sceptical beliefs severely challenged......!

623780[/snapback]

Thx for the link Bogeyman original.gif I just recorded something some minutes ago, I have a mixer with reasonable good and loud preamps without much noise so I recorded something to my PC, and then modified it in cool edit, although I reduced many of the noise(not without loosing the ability to hear my own voice) I still pick strange electronic noise and it's very bassy, I also reduced the bass trough the equalizer but I still get the electronic noise and what appears to be whispers or something, but I need to try again tonight since some TV in other room was on and the mic probably picked it up, my PC is also a source of noise but I'll try to put it away from any noise source as much as possible, BUT is it really necessary or the PC noise is OK?

Any kind of background noise really...so long as you can record it.In the ghost and haunting forum there is a step by step guide on how to do it.....or go to

WWW.worlditc.org OR http://groups.yahoo.com/group/grassharp/

or www.aaevp.com

All have advice on how to get the best results.

The reason that "white noise" is preferred in EVP recordings is due to a phenomenon caled "stochastic resonance"

Now, white noise is "random" noise. This is important, because stochastic resonance(SR) can only occur with random noise.

Sources of random noise include running water from a faucet or waterfall, static audio from an off-channel radio or tv station, etc...

Interestingly enough, white noise is also automatically created within the electronic recording circuitry of inexpensive digital recorders, making them somewhat ideal as an EVP recording device. The more expensive digital recorders tend to filter out the internally generated white noise, so avoid using expensive digital recorders for EVP use.

OK, so what is stochastic resonance, and what does it have to do with white noise and EVP? Well, first of all, stochastic resonance(SR) is a phenomenon that was discovered completely apart from EVP, and is used in advanced signal analysis. So even if one does not believe in EVP, they can believe in SR, because it is a scientific fact.

Anyway, what SR does is this: If a signal is so weak that it can not be detected by a device, it was discovered that introducing white noise along with the weak signal created a dramatic effect... it creates a "resonance" and thus amplifies the weak signal so that it can now be detected(or recorded)

If you do a GOOGLE search on stochastic resonance you can fing some interesting reading on this effect.

Anyway, it is thought that the use of white noise while recording potential EVP voices amplifies the voice on the recording(which is why you do not hear the voice until playback) The use of audio-editing software can further enhance a suspected voice.

In the old seances of the late 1800's and early 1900's the spirits sometimes used to have the participants sing,this provided them with noise energy with which to make contact or speak.When the spirits voices begans to fade those in the circle would either sing or start talking amongst themselves ....and again this gave reinforcement to the voices.....i think that this could have been the equivelant of white noise...or somehow connected to the same phenomenen.

Source for this is "the psychic riddle" by Dr Isaac A Funk.....what a great name eh ? It was written in 1905....a great find of a book as this guy was no fool and set out with a sceptical scientific view of the whole spiritualist movement but had his opinions changed along the way.....some great evidential stories in there

Well if ghosts create electrical energy why would it not be possible that they could communite thru eletrical currents such as tv's?

thumbsup.gif "white noise"just came out on dvd,and i'm sure just about everybody here

would like it if they watched it!there are some great extra dvd features on it too,even shows you how to conduct your own evp experiment. thumbsup.gif

EVP has been jazzed and hollywood-ized thanks to movies like the White noise. no.gif