Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anti-gun protests in London

Blackleaf

From The Daily Mail -

Anti-gun march hears of 400 deaths

Almost 400 murder victims died at gunpoint in the past 12 years, a campaigner against gun crime told hundreds of people.

A crowd took to the streets of west London as part of a demonstration organised by the parents of 17-year-old Anton Hyman, who was murdered last year.

The march began at midday at Brent River Park and ended four miles away in Acton Park where demonstrators listened to speeches by mothers whose sons had been shot dead.

A spokeswoman for Mothers Against Murder and Aggression, Dee Edwards, said: "We have looked after 400 families in 12 years who have lost someone to murder and almost everyone of those murders involved guns."

She said that judges gave out sentences which meant people could get out of prison for a gun crime after eight years.

"The government doesn't let people down, it is judges that let people down. They let people off for good behaviour."

Metropolitan Police Detective Inspector Anthony McKeown told the rally he believed that a group was involved in the killing of Anton Hyman.

The teenager from Acton, west London, was repeatedly slashed around the neck with a knife then shot in the back and stabbed in the heart. A passer-by found him dumped in the river Brent last year.

Detective Inspector McKeown said: "I believe there was more than one person there when Anton died. Maybe not all of them took part. Some of them may feel terrible. Others may know where the weapon is or where it came from and it is them I am appealing to today."

Anton's mother, Vanessa, said it was exactly one year to the day since she buried her son. Tomorrow he would have celebrated his 19th birthday.

dailymail.co.uk

Edited by Blackleaf

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• onep0int

• Celumnaz

• TheOriginalF

I could be wrong but about 8 to 10 years ago they strip their people the right to own guns!THEY STIPPED THE LAW BIDING CITIZENS THE RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!!what the hell do you think was going to happen!how are people supposed to protect them selves?? do you think a crimal going to buy a gun legal??no they go and buy it on the streets!

nice job people of britian ,great job thumbsup.gif

Edit, removed swears. Watch your language in the future if you wish to continue posting here.

BurnSide

Edited by BurnSide

baahahaha

let me get this straight, they are protesting against guns....even though there has been for all intents and purposes a nationwide ban put in place for the last 10 years? ahahahaha

I can just imagine the chants

"Ban illegal guns now!"

/gg logic

I could be wrong but about 8 to  10 years ago they strip their people the right to own guns!THEY STIPPED THE LAW BIDING CITIZENS THE RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!!what the hell do you  think was going to happen!how are people supposed to protect them selves?? do you think a crimal going to buy a gun legal??no they go and buy it on the streets!

nice job people of britian ,great job  thumbsup.gif

Edit, removed swears. Watch your language in the future if you wish to continue posting here.

BurnSide

621910[/snapback]

It works a little bit different in the UK... we don't shoot the **** out of someone to protect ourselves and we don't go to school passed off with the teacher and shoot the **** out of everyone we see? We have what is called a legal system, granted that lets us down but we depend on that and the Police for defence, The UK gun problem is a an iassue here but we don't reply to it by giving every trigger happy d*** **** the right to defend them selves a gun.

THEY STIPPED THE LAW BIDING CITIZENS THE RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!!what the hell do you think was going to happen!how are people supposed to protect them selves?

For our US cousins, in the UK we have NEVER had the right to carry guns of any kind. You have to go through a lot of inspections from the Police before you can own any weapon.

The Police do not carry firearms (except for the firearms units).

They also didn't ban all firearms it was pistols that they banned. They changed the law on rifles and shotguns also.

It is a crying shame that the second most popular participation sport in the UK was done away with over night by a knee jerk reaction by the Government.

We now have a lot of gun crime. BUT this is not due to the ban placed on pistols!

It is down to the fact that Police are now not allowed to do a stop & search without very good reason. This basically means that the criminal element can walk around with a concealed weapon and as long as you aren't doing anything illegal the police are not allowed to stop and search you.

I know someone who was selling sub machine guns in a car park. He got off with it because it was an "illegal search"!!

Edited by Dog_Boy

I could be wrong but about 8 to 10 years ago they strip their people the right to own guns!THEY STIPPED THE LAW BIDING CITIZENS THE RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!!what the hell do you think was going to happen!how are people supposed to protect them selves?? do you think a crimal going to buy a gun legal??no they go and buy it on the streets!

nice job people of britian ,great job

perhaps a liitle research in the differneces between our societies needs to be done

nice job people of britian ,great job

perhaps a liitle research in the differneces between our societies needs to be done

622759[/snapback]

Agreed.

One point:

!!what the hell do you think was going to happen!how are people supposed to protect them selves

How exactly does a gun protect you? Its an offensive weapon, not a bullet proof vest. Do you guys in the States actually think that if someone comes at you with a gun that you taking out yours is going to protect you?

One point:

!!what the hell do you think was going to happen!how are people supposed to protect them selves

How exactly does a gun protect you? Its an offensive weapon, not a bullet proof vest. Do you guys in the States actually think that if someone comes at you with a gun that you taking out yours is going to protect you?

622864[/snapback]

Yes. I have personally protected myself with a pistol more than once. Guns are both defensive and offensive weapons.

I think that many of the folks in the UK assume that any joe can get a gun here; that is not the case; there is mandatory federal and state background checks to make sure that people that should own gun don't get them. There is mandatory weaposn safety training as well. Some states have more requirements than that, but that is a minimum.

Guns work as a deterant.

One point:

622864[/snapback]

a firearm can protect you, if somebody braks into your house what are you gonna fight em with?

BUT, back here in the states some BS laws are bieng created so that if a guy broke in Just to rob you,you cant shoot them wacko.gif like I am gonna ask a guy "hey,are you here to rob me or kill me?" , either way ide shoot em.

"if guns kill people,I can blame misspelled words on my pencil"

guns dont kill people,evil/idiots with guns do

Edited by PadawanOsswe

I watched a program last night that showed a Brit ask various Americans about America's need to own a Gun.

Some Interesting facts

USA gun deaths for Kids aged 12-16 (Maybe out by a year or so) is higher than 12 Industrial Countries COMBINED!

There is more Gun franchises than Mcdonald resturants *8

Also Fluff didn't the Sniper spree that happened a while ago steal his weapon from a gun shop ?

Im not wanting to argue who has the better Idea's when it comes to Gun crime, just puting across some detail.

Anyway the artical is more about sending people who commit firearm offenses to jail for longer terms.

Which Im sure everyone can agree is a good thing

part of the reason that the U.S. citizens have the right to have firearms is so

-that if the government went corrupt they could defend themselves

-if we were invaded,the citizens could defend themselves

-if a"break in" occured,etc..

owning a gun isnt a bad thing,only when it gets in the wrong hands it is a bad thing.

Padowassie I hope to god the new breed of americans are not of your mind set..

I watched a program last night that showed a Brit ask various Americans about America's need to own a Gun.

Some Interesting facts

USA gun deaths for Kids aged 12-16 (Maybe out by a year or so) is higher than 12 Industrial Countries COMBINED!

There is more Gun franchises than Mcdonald resturants *8

Also Fluff didn't the Sniper spree that happened a while ago steal his weapon from a gun shop ?

Im not wanting to argue who has the better Idea's when it comes to Gun crime, just puting across some detail.

Anyway the artical is more about sending people who commit firearm offenses to jail for longer terms.

Which Im sure everyone can agree is a good thing

622920[/snapback]

Scar.. not sure about the sniper gun purchase, I do think they purchased it from e shop as I think they then tried to prosecute the shop owner for selling it to him? I may be wrong??

I could be wrong but about 8 to  10 years ago they strip their people the right to own guns!THEY STIPPED THE LAW BIDING CITIZENS THE RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!!what the hell do you  think was going to happen!how are people supposed to protect them selves?? do you think a crimal going to buy a gun legal??no they go and buy it on the streets!

BurnSide

621910[/snapback]

thirteen by name, thirteen by nature eh? Way to go, Einstein. We were never allowed the right to wear guns except nobles, long ago. Not in modern times. The chances of us encountering guns in the UK are FAR slimmer than the USA, and the coutry is better off for it.

And XSAS I don't think padowasse represents the majority of the USA kids, he's just one of those little extreme cases that springs up now and then... not to be taken seriously. I amagine many Amerians also balk at his attitude.

Edited by Richdog

BurnSide

621910[/snapback]

thirteen by name, thirteen by nature eh? Way to go, Einstein. We were never allowed the right to wear guns except nobles, long ago. Not in modern times. The chances of us encountering guns in the UK are FAR slimmer than the USA, and the coutry is better off for it.

And XSAS I don't think padowasse represents the majority of the USA kids, he's just one of those little extreme cases that springs up now and then... not to be taken seriously. I amagine many Amerians also balk at his attitude.

622978[/snapback]

Richdog.. I know mate and I appologise.. it is wrong for me to compare him with the new generation of kids it is disrespectful to them.

Guest Lottie

BurnSide

621910[/snapback]

Its a terribel thing that people are murdered. However one small point...

Almost 400 murder victims died at gunpoint in the past 12 years, a campaigner against gun crime told hundreds of people.

Before you start coming over all holier than thou. Take a look at the above quote and take a look at your own country's statistics where hundreds of people die a week due to gun crime and tell me then that having these weapons banned is not a good thing.

A criminal will find a way of obtaining a weapon if desperate enough but with our laws in place it makes it a thousand times harder for them.

P.s One small piece of advice...as soon as a person starts swearing they have lost the argument....

Edited by Lottie

BurnSide

621910[/snapback]

Before you start coming over all holier than thou. Take a look at the above quote and take a look at your own country's statistics where hundreds of people die a week due to gun crime and tell me then that having these weapons banned is not a good thing.

A criminal will find a way of obtaining a weapon if desperate enough but with our laws in place it makes it a thousand times harder for them.

P.s One small piece of advice...as soon as a person starts swearing they have lost the argument....

623084[/snapback]

I disagree.. with the swearing comment.. many people use it as everyday language it all depends on how they use it.

Oh suprise suprise.... you are always disagreeing with me!  tongue.giforiginal.gif

623105[/snapback]

Sorry, It is just my opinion, however it this does not make me right? maybe we should join a discussion we at least meet half way on. eventually we will agree on something..

guns dont kill people, people do so please lets not blame it on gun manufactors!!let me tell you folks in britian a little story . here in the states ,michigan on nov 15,every year its opening day or gun season[deer hunting] about 1.8 million law bidding citizens take to the woods to hunt [really just to get away from wives,work and every thing in general]1.8 is probaly more people than a nations military!but the point is this,if we wanted too me could probaly take over the state,but no 1.8 million hunters go out to hunt deer,spend money and have a good time with family and freinds.

in michigan the %of gun crimes to owners is maybe 1% what does that tell you!

trust me im no genius but you cant blame gun owners for a bad seed seed of 1%

sorry geek.gif

GUNS ARE LIKE A CHICKEN FENCE ,IF YOU REMOVE THEM THE FOX AND COYOTES WILL FEAST.........!

BurnSide

621910[/snapback]

623084[/snapback]

IM SORRY IF YOU TAKE THE % OF GUN OWNERS TO CRIMES IT MAYBE 1% DO THE MATH

grin2.gif Gun control and religion, two subjects not discussed in polite company.

From an owner of many guns, and not killed anyone--To date anyway! unsure.gif

Thirteen, please cease typing in caps lock......

Plus... whats the point of chicken wire if its killing the chickens as well.... no smart farmer would risk his chickens in such a way....

So please try and remain civil.... its a discussion.....